FAC4: Kidderminster Harriers 1-2 AET West Ham Utd (5/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Moonage

Re: ⚽ Kidderminster Harriers vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Moonage »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:35 pm When was the last time we had a player who got hold of a match by the scruff of the neck and turned things around for us ?
Scott Parker. West Brom away. He should have put himself on vs Borehamwood.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Phew, bullet dodged.

Declan Rice, got no words left about him, he is the closest I have ever seen to be irreplaceable in our shirt. He dragged about 7 players along with him to get us out of jail.

Felt for the Harriers, they set up a game plan and dicked us first half, 2nd half we started to come into it due to "Superman".

At least the new bodies we got in in Jan will help us 2nd half of the season if we get some injuries...

Good luck to Kidderminster for the rest of the season, the magic of the FA cup almost worked on Saturday for them.

Southampton v West Ham, good tie for both clubs as both think they can win it.
Pacific Hammer
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Pacific Hammer »

smuts wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:19 pm The side picked should have been capable of getting a result there. Sadly pretty much the majority turned in stinkers.

I feel sorry for Johnson constantly shoved out to the left while the more experienced Fredericks does his headless chicken routine out on the right.
I think its quite sensible actually. Is Fredricks worth a new contract? This is your chance to shine. Ben, you've got good quality but need to improve offensively if you want 1st choice RB, get extra minutes experience. I believe Moyes knows what he's doing and why he makes them against a certain apponant.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Unfortunate for Kidderminster that the FA scrapped replays, they earned that at least.
OFT
Has liked: 3188 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

S-H wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:49 am Unfortunate for Kidderminster that the FA scrapped replays, they earned that at least.
:newthumb:

Yeah, lets have a 'winter break' and continue playing meaningless international fixtures, Oh and lets make the European competitions bigger.
Temporary fix for covid?? Perfect opportunity to get rid of replays that can make a huge difference to those 'down the pyramid'

* remembers fondly multiple replays within days of each other*
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

S-H wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:49 am Unfortunate for Kidderminster that the FA scrapped replays, they earned that at least.
I like that there’s no replays. There just seems to be a better chance for smaller sides to actually pull off the shock with genuine jeopardy for the bigger side if they don’t turn up and get a second go at it.

I also think with the amount of games now it’s just not feasible to continue with them. Increasing the prize money for each of the earlier rounds would certainly add a lot more too.
Bucksexile
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Bucksexile »

We beat them. We are into the next round.

A few other prem teams struggled as well. Some never made it. That is the nature of this competition. It is one game, winner goes through.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Bucksexile wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:43 am We beat them. We are into the next round.

A few other prem teams struggled as well. Some never made it. That is the nature of this competition. It is one game, winner goes through.
Agree.....horrible, horrible performances from literally every player on the pitch and aside from the goals we need to move on and look at the next game
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

One of the things I really like about this is the quote from Matt Preston, the Kidderminster CB - "I was sat on the floor and their striker came and picked me up and said, ‘don’t be down, you’ve done unbelievable. Rice came in afterwards and said: ‘You deserved more from that game.’ They were all very nice – they weren’t massive time at all, which you sometimes get."

I know it's not 'the point' or anything, but it speaks to the nature of Moyes and his team - we're not here supporting prima donnas, just honest humble guys. That's the spirit Moyes wants to instil. And if someone we identify as a transfer target would come in and damage that, then it's a good enough reason to not sign him, in my opinion.
Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:35 pm When was the last time we had a player who got hold of a match by the scruff of the neck and turned things around for us ?
Surely Payet must have one or two to his name - although immediately I cannot think of one.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Wait, why is S-H posting here?

Those of us who went on a 3-day bender to celebrate his cancelling missed the explanation.
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Stulaw »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:34 am
Surely Payet must have one or two to his name - although immediately I cannot think of one.
Middlesborough in the season he left, he was the only one on the pitch doing anything, and the others pretty much didn't play.

Also, Accrington Stanley in the League cup same season.
Last edited by Stulaw on Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:34 am One of the things I really like about this is the quote from Matt Preston, the Kidderminster CB - "I was sat on the floor and their striker came and picked me up and said, ‘don’t be down, you’ve done unbelievable. "
We had a striker?
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

The Kidderminster manager was on TalkSport earlier, said Moyes had invited him and his team down to any training session at Rush Green. Also Rice went in their dressing room after the game and had pics taken and signed shirts.

:thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

steps wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:49 am The Kidderminster manager was on TalkSport earlier, said Moyes had invited him and his team down to any training session at Rush Green.
To make themselves feel better about their own training facilities?

Nice touch.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

S-H wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:51 am To make themselves feel better about their own training facilities?

Nice touch.
:grin:

Hopefully Moyes has got a bigger desk at least:

Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

The best thing to come out of this match is how the football side of our club has shown itself to be class. Moyes sharing a beer with them, inviting them down to our training ground. Rice staying behind and having a chat with anyone and everyone. We have proper football people at our club.

We don't know what happened with the owners, but they probably made a fool of themselves as per.

Our football management and playing staff have done the club proud this weekend with the way they have conducted themselves.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Despite how crap we were, we dug in and got ourselves out of jail....twice. Thats says something (despite putting ourselves in that position anyway).
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

we were awful and it really did go to show we only have a starting eleven.
And so annoying that that is likely the pointer for the rest of the season. If rice gets injured we really are screwed.
But please please stop trying to play Johnson as a left back. he isn't a left back , we need a left footed left back.
I'm not even convinced he is a good right back or that's his best position for us.
I'm not digging him out, it just doesn't work.
And likewise stop thinking Bowen or Yarmolenko are strikers.

Areola - 5
Fredericks - 5
Zouma - 7
Diop - 5, Dawson - 7
Johnson - 5 - Cresswell - 7
Noble - 6 - Rice 9
Kral - 5 - Soucek - 6
Vlasic - 7 - fornals - 7
Bowen - 7
Yarmolenko - 5 (only higher because of his one cross for the second goal - otherwise 4)
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:19 am Yarmolenko - 5 (only higher because of his one cross for the second goal - otherwise 4)
Sorry Kit,

I would chalk that extra one off for the dive.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

We're a class act, well done to Moyes and the club for that