2022 Six Nations

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Re: 2022 Six Nations

Post by sendô »

That was a great all round performance from Italy today. Their first 6N win in 37 matches. A staggering stat.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

France have a bloke called Woke in their team
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Were getting taken apart at the breakdown.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 2449 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Not watching (UFC is live now), but the score suggests Jones is proving to be the stale old bore we all knew he was.
simon hammer
Has liked: 966 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

France are stronger, smarter and quicker with their play in every area of the pitch. We simply aren't at their level.
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

Funny that...we speed our play up and score a try. Well worked as well...from Youngs initial drop inside before the pass, through to the break and eventual try.

Much better play.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

The comeback begins :grin:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1792 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Has Jones put leg irons on Smith? He has so much more to his game when playing for Quins. For England it's either a short pass or high kick.
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

France grand slam winners, and thoroughly deserved. Gone are the days when inconsistencies plagued them...when they were good, they were very good but when they were bad they were terrible. These days, they're just good...very good.

Some will say this was England's best performance, but I felt we were better with 14 on the pitch against Ireland. We seemed to have a real sense of purpose in that game, albeit deemed by circumstance rather than planning.

I thought we would be in a battle with Scotland for third, and so it transpired. It's a shame that Eddie Jones, despite what he says, seems to care little for the six nations.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1863 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

simon hammer wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:56 pm France grand slam winners, and thoroughly deserved. Gone are the days when inconsistencies plagued them...when they were good, they were very good but when they were bad they were terrible. These days, they're just good...very good.

Some will say this was England's best performance, but I felt we were better with 14 on the pitch against Ireland. We seemed to have a real sense of purpose in that game, albeit deemed by circumstance rather than planning.

I thought we would be in a battle with Scotland for third, and so it transpired. It's a shame that Eddie Jones, despite what he says, seems to care little for the six nations.
While I agree that Jones doesn't value the six nations, what has done England is poor/inconsistent refereeing.
Perfect example today, Scotland ball carrier drives his forearm into a tackler's throat, no censure.
Was it as dangerous as Ewel's tackle last week? Easily for me, but World Rugby put all responsibility on the tackler, which, if it is really safety oriented, is b*llocks.

Then go back to England v Scotland, the game ended with a scrum just outside the Scottish 22, it was reset several times and all commentators said that at any other point in the game it would be a penalty. If that penalty is given, England draw the game.

I keep hearing how Ewels was guilty of a red card offence and it should be a red card offence irrelevant of the time in the game. Well in that case England should have had a penalty to draw the game in Scotland.

As I said earlier the current laws, or at least the refereeing of them is ruining the game.

That said, I thought the game today was decent, France deserved to win and congratulations to them.
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

Eggchaser wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:25 am While I agree that Jones doesn't value the six nations, what has done England is poor/inconsistent refereeing.
Perfect example today, Scotland ball carrier drives his forearm into a tackler's throat, no censure.
Was it as dangerous as Ewel's tackle last week? Easily for me, but World Rugby put all responsibility on the tackler, which, if it is really safety oriented, is b*llocks.

Then go back to England v Scotland, the game ended with a scrum just outside the Scottish 22, it was reset several times and all commentators said that at any other point in the game it would be a penalty. If that penalty is given, England draw the game.

I keep hearing how Ewels was guilty of a red card offence and it should be a red card offence irrelevant of the time in the game. Well in that case England should have had a penalty to draw the game in Scotland.

As I said earlier the current laws, or at least the refereeing of them is ruining the game.

That said, I thought the game today was decent, France deserved to win and congratulations to them.
I tend to agree. The old adage of 'these things even themselves out' is only applicable if the rules and regulations are applied consistently in every game, by the person/persons who are charged with overseeing the application of said rules and regulations.

Inconsistencies have been obvious during the course of this tournament, but they can't be taken, in isolation, as the sole reason for our failure to win. You have to factor in player selection, tactics, patterns of play, opposition players, tactics and patterns of play...and I think, overall, we have come up short in several key areas. There is a case whereby all those factors fall down if the ref gets it wrong...clearly, the best laid plans can be wasted due to a poor decision at a crucial moment...but whilst I agree that the rules need fair and even application, I think there's more to it than that.

If that makes any sense?
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Firstly, I know very little about Rugby so take my comments lightly, but from what I could see as a layman is that England seem to me to make so many Handling errors at vital points in attack throughout the tournament that they put themselves under pressure ? Does that sound even remotely correct ?
This may be biased but I also noticed we seem to be harshly treated for borderline offences compared to our opponents doing very similar.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

:newthumb:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

Rays Rock wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:53 am Firstly, I know very little about Rugby so take my comments lightly, but from what I could see as a layman is that England seem to me to make so many Handling errors at vital points in attack throughout the tournament that they put themselves under pressure ? Does that sound even remotely correct ?
This may be biased but I also noticed we seem to be harshly treated for borderline offences compared to our opponents doing very similar.
To be fair France made a lot more handling errors than England yesterday. I just thought we were too slow at the breakdown for the most part.
I've always thought that ref's are quicker on the whistle where England are concerned, but, I'm English :chin:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1792 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It's not the referee's fault that France were so much quicker at the breakdown and were able to change their tactics to suit the game. It's not the referee's fault England are utterly predictable with three phases and kick, three phases and kick, repeat until we're turned over.

Maybe Jones really does have an Australian's dream job...
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Again being a rugby novice, why are teams so willing to give up possession with kicking for territory gain that then gets immediately lost ?
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

simon hammer wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:22 am I tend to agree. The old adage of 'these things even themselves out' is only applicable if the rules and regulations are applied consistently in every game, by the person/persons who are charged with overseeing the application of said rules and regulations.

Inconsistencies have been obvious during the course of this tournament, but they can't be taken, in isolation, as the sole reason for our failure to win. You have to factor in player selection, tactics, patterns of play, opposition players, tactics and patterns of play...and I think, overall, we have come up short in several key areas. There is a case whereby all those factors fall down if the ref gets it wrong...clearly, the best laid plans can be wasted due to a poor decision at a crucial moment...but whilst I agree that the rules need fair and even application, I think there's more to it than that.

If that makes any sense?
I don't disagree with you, England have definitely got a lot of things wrong in terms of selection and tactics.

For me, the new laws are poorly thought out.
Take laws designed to reduce the amount of kicking.
The 50/20, kicking from outside of your own 22 the ball has always had to bounce into touch, so no great change other than you are rewarded for bouncing the into touch from within your own 22.
Where previously you would lose possession, you are now rewarded with the put in at the lineout.
How is that going to reduce the amount of kicking?

Take the goal line drop out, kicking the ball into the in goal area now results in a drop out from behind the goal line instead of the 22, gain that's an incentive to kick.

In the last few years there have periods where referees have allegedly been concentrating on sorting out the breakdown/tackle area, they haven't, they've basically given up.
They've had a period of concentration on getting the put in straight at the scrum, they didn't they gave up.

Instead of applying existing laws, they create new ones to deflect their failure to referee the game properly in the first place.
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:45 pm It's not the referee's fault that France were so much quicker at the breakdown and were able to change their tactics to suit the game. It's not the referee's fault England are utterly predictable with three phases and kick, three phases and kick, repeat until we're turned over.

Maybe Jones really does have an Australian's dream job...
Feel free to show where anyone suggested that France weren't the better side and didn't deserve to win. :newthumb:

As I've said previously, I'm convinced that Jones doesn't care about the 6 nations.
Unfortunately I'm not convinced that he's building a team that will do anything in the world cup either.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2565 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I agree with your last point Eggs - just over a year away from a World Cup, you’d expect a team to be ‘almost there’ in terms of personnel and performances. England aren’t anywhere near it - France, Scotland even look more advanced.
Eggchaser

Post by Eggchaser »

Rays Rock wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:52 pm Again being a rugby novice, why are teams so willing to give up possession with kicking for territory gain that then gets immediately lost ?
Risk avoidance, move play upfield and away from your danger area, then hope the opposition make a mistake and give you the ball back.