2022 Six Nations

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Re: 2022 Six Nations

Post by simon hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:52 pm Indeed, I’m pretty puzzled why he didn’t bin Lawes for a clear knock on.
Mind boggling really. And yes, I know it was to England's advantage to keep him on the field of play...but I'd rather see the rules of the game applied consistently and correctly, regardless of how much (or little) time is left.

We should have been playing from the point the penalty was taken, until the game finished, with 14 men on the park.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

England average for 80 minutes with glimpses of being half decent. Wales awful for 60 minutes then handy for 20. Referee useless for 80. He reffed a Quins v Castres game at The Stoop that I was at and he was dreadful then and dreadful today. He missed so much on both sides. Smith, Itoje and Dombrandt good for England. Much to improve on for England.

Jones should go at the end of this 6 nations. Borthwick would be my choice to replace him but I doubt he’d leave Leicester for a year or so or until he’s won the league as a minimum. Means we’re probably stuck with Mr I think I’m so clever. There’ll be calls for Farrell but the Ireland job is comparatively easy. You have almost total control over yourself players who only really play in the equivalent of the champions league. As an example - Marcus smith had played 120 games for Harlequins aged 22. His Irish counterpart Johnny Sexton has played 180 games for Leinster aged 36.
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

On the knock on, it’s not always a yellow for a deliberate knock on. It is if it’s a clear slap down and denies a try scoring opportunity but in the midfield where he’s gone for the ball it’s penalty only. At least that’s my understanding.
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

dave_l wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:31 pm On the knock on, it’s not always a yellow for a deliberate knock on. It is if it’s a clear slap down and denies a try scoring opportunity but in the midfield where he’s gone for the ball it’s penalty only. At least that’s my understanding.
I assumed, based upon what I have seen over several decades of watching rugby, that it was an automatic yellow as well as a penalty.

I am happy to stand corrected though :newthumb:
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

Usually it is a yellow because 9 times out of 10 it’s denying a scoring opportunity. Out wide with only a man to beat or slapping down the scoring pass flapping at an intercept. This is one of the rare occasions it was in the view of the ref not materially affecting. I wasn’t sure so checked with my mate who refs at amateur level.
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

Well ..you learn something knew everyday! It stands to reason though. Cheers dave :newthumb:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

From what I recall of the incident the ref didn't see Lawes knock on as he gave one against Wales, it was the touch judge who brought it to his attention. The replays showed the merest touch, if Lawes had cut his fingernails this morning he wouldn't have reached it.

I do wonder how many of these 'deliberate' knock ons are purely instinctive and not deliberate at all.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:52 pm Indeed, I’m pretty puzzled why he didn’t bin Lawes for a clear knock on.
Because he's not a good ref, he got so many things wrong it's not even funny.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Ireland v Italy. How to ruin a game of Rugby with the rule book.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:55 pm Ireland v Italy. How to ruin a game of Rugby with the rule book.
England V Wales ruined by the players
Ireland V Italy ruined by the rules
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

alf git wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:13 pm England V Wales ruined by the players
Ireland V Italy ruined by the rules
I'd say it was the managers who ruined the England v Wales game. Dreadful tactics from both sides.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Wales under Pivac have been disappointing because I thought he was a much more expansive coach for the Scarlets, maybe it is a transitional thing. England have been turgid under EJ for quite some time. His whole game plan is completely focussed on securing the physical game which is fine until we are matched up, or meet the Springboks. And the other teams have a backs game.

The time to change EJ would have been at the end of the last world cup when the RFU inexplicably thought it wise to extend his contract. It would be difficult to change the coach now because the RFU can't afford to pay off EJ, and even if they could I think the only approach would be to parachute in a temporary coach for the next world cup a la Brian Ashton in 2007 (when he replaced Andy Robinson), as coaches and unions plan in world cup cycles.

There aren't really any stand out candidates from the English club scene, aside maybe from Rob Baxter who I think said a while back he didn't want it. In a dream scenario, I'd love to throw the cheque book at Warren Gatland and Shaun Edwards, but the RFU can't and won't, and it will take a very big cheque to tempt Gatland back from NZ and his dream of being the All Blacks next coach.

I am actually hoping France win this championship because their style of play is much more progressive and entertaining.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Gaz wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 pm Wales under Pivac have been disappointing because I thought he was a much more expansive coach for the Scarlets, maybe it is a transitional thing. England have been turgid under EJ for quite some time. His whole game plan is completely focussed on securing the physical game which is fine until we are matched up, or meet the Springboks. And the other teams have a backs game.

The time to change EJ would have been at the end of the last world cup when the RFU inexplicably thought it wise to extend his contract. It would be difficult to change the coach now because the RFU can't afford to pay off EJ, and even if they could I think the only approach would be to parachute in a temporary coach for the next world cup a la Brian Ashton in 2007 (when he replaced Andy Robinson), as coaches and unions plan in world cup cycles.

There aren't really any stand out candidates from the English club scene, aside maybe from Rob Baxter who I think said a while back he didn't want it. In a dream scenario, I'd love to throw the cheque book at Warren Gatland and Shaun Edwards, but the RFU can't and won't, and it will take a very big cheque to tempt Gatland back from NZ and his dream of being the All Blacks next coach.

I am actually hoping France win this championship because their style of play is much more progressive and entertaining.
I think Jones has reacted to being stuffed by the Boks in the world cup.
I also don't think he gives a **** about the 6 nations, he's all about world cups.

As for Gatland, no thanks his style with Wales and the Lions was as bad as Jones & Pivac now.
But you're right anyway, the RFU is skint so it wouldn't happen.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

The Lions is a needs must scenario with very little time for planning and coaching, and I didn't think his Wales teams were all that bad to watch to be honest.

I followed Wasps back in the 2000s when I lived in Wycombe and maybe have a bias for Gats and Shaun, but Warrenball isn't to everyone's taste I suppose!
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

10,000 empty seats in Cardiff this evening....
May the best team win. Should be a cracker.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Wales are dealing well with the French defence: kicking over the top of it. France haven't scored since the 10th minute.... This could depend on who has the better bench.
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

This is a fascinating contest. When France nail the brand of free flowing rugby that they are capable of, they are a joy to watch...but Wales are more than coping with them. In fact, Wales appear to have stifled and strangled France to the point that they (France) seem scared to throw it around. Both teams are compact, there's little room for expansive rugby and yet, somehow, it's quite the game to watch.

Will be decided by a mistake probably.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Been a great match so far. Really interesting tactics from Wales & France struggling to keep up with them.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

I used to go to school (same year) with the ref in the wales v france game
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Despite Wales' clever tactics they haven't really looked like scoring a try. Even the 'held up' was a deliberate defensive ploy by the French.