West Ham Utd 1-0 Watford (8/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

What is clear is that playing teams fighting relegation at the business end of the season is very tough and Burnley showed that last night.
I think credit needs to go to moyes for seeing that the tempo needed to be increased by bringing on Lanzini early and attacks needed to be alternated by playing through the middle and out wide.

What I never quite understand is why it takes up until 60 minutes for the team to realise the speed of play needs to be upped. Why can't we start that way?
We knew Watford were going to frustrate and when teams do that, the football needs to be zippy and 1 touch, not 4 touches each.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Ethanadict wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:02 pm With so many teams playing different numbers of games, I thought it might be handy to look at the points per game average so far, as a guide. Table would read…

MC 2.47
Liv 2.18
Che 1.95
Tot 1.8
Ars 1.71
MU 1.7
WH 1.67
Wol 1.62

It’s all very close for 4th still and all to play for, and I’m still happy to be the ones with the points already in the bag.
If you'd offered me the position we're in now at the start of the season, I'd have ripped your arm off. I know we're down to bare bones and there are some tired limbs out there but...4th in the league, 5th round of the FA Cup and Ro16 EL. 1 or 2 players due a purple patch soon aswell so it's all good. We don't normally put decent seasons back-to-back.
Geoff Hurts
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 252 likes

Post by Geoff Hurts »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:08 am 47 crosses was nothing for Moyes at Man Utd!

Tbf, he's evolved a lot as a manager since then, but how to create chances against teams sitting back remains a major weakness for him and us.
Yes, I think the 47 crosses I was referring to was up to half time. May well have been that Fulham game.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If we're playing the crossing game then we need a Calvert-Lewin type up front, Soucek in a far more advanced role, and the wide players to massively improve the quality of their delivery - especially Benrahma. We're not going to have a great success rate with the line-up we have at present. We looked better when Lanzini came on and started playing through the middle a bit more.

I have to say it really annoys me when we do one of those build ups that end up with 6 of our players all stood on the wing not more than a few feet from each other.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Watford
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136687
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

steveyrockstar wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:22 pm Why do you think he's not the player he was? What do you think he's lost? Me personally, I've been thinking that he's been looking like the Lanzini of old these last three months. In fact, I'd almost go so far as to say he's arguably in our top 5 or 6 best players.
I think he's lost half a yard and compensated by bulking up a bit, but Manu has adapted to playing from a bit deeper rather than off the front man which he is excelling at. He knits the game together better than anyone we have at present, and breaks the lines behind the oppo midfield regularly.
I would start him every game, but I also see how when he comes on he seems to do exactly what the team is missing up to that point, its like he sits and watches whats needed and then comes on and does it.
I think Benrhama and even Fornals could learn a lot from just watching everything Lanzini does.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:59 pm If we're playing the crossing game then we need a Calvert-Lewin type up front, Soucek in a far more advanced role, and the wide players to massively improve the quality of their delivery - especially Benrahma. We're not going to have a great success rate with the line-up we have at present. We looked better when Lanzini came on and started playing through the middle a bit more.

I have to say it really annoys me when we do one of those build ups that end up with 6 of our players all stood on the wing not more than a few feet from each other.
If the opposition is defending deep then any crosses will be low percentage chances regardless of who we have up front. Moyes needs to think of a plan B if he’s even got it in him
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:59 pm If we're playing the crossing game then we need a Calvert-Lewin type up front, Soucek in a far more advanced role, and the wide players to massively improve the quality of their delivery - especially Benrahma. We're not going to have a great success rate with the line-up we have at present. We looked better when Lanzini came on and started playing through the middle a bit more.

Yes, one thousand times yes!
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Nothing between us except they had more shots, more shots on target, made far more passes, won more duels, won more in the air and hit the post a couple of times. And that was a West Ham team so clearly underperforming. If you're happy with that then great, but those performances aren't going to keep us up.
They came for a point, they left with none.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

OV -we have been there before so I feel their pain, sensible approach that it's the boards fault. I still think they have more to be optimistic about than many of them under Roy.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Lacklustre performance against pretty poor opposition.

However, could easily have been 2 or 3 - 0 and good 3 points. Zouma, Dawson, Bowen and Lanzini the better performers in was perhaps Rice's worst game this season.

Excellent support and respect shown by all fans for the little girl who died. Broght a lump to my throat.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

We don't look as fluid going forward and I'm thinking whether it's time to tweak the formation a little. Go to 3 at the back with wing backs might be worth exploring.

We don't look as sharp in our play. Whether it's tiredness or teams sitting off I'm not sure. We struggled to open them up yesterday and our passing isn't as slick. That's another problem with the weight of pass, timing and playing it in a way to keep momentum.

Wasn't as evident earlier in the season but is now.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Another completely anonymous performance from Antonio. At least Yarmolenko contributes when we attack.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Very interesting Twitter thread this, from one of KUMB's own. Not a chance in hell I'm watching a second of that game again but for me his opinions seem to back up what someone else said last night, a lot of the issues last night seem to have started due to a lack of confidence and a hangover from the weekend.

Hopefully some cobwebs have been shaken out and we're back on it for a tough game at the weekend.

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:12 pm Very interesting Twitter thread this, from one of KUMB's own. Not a chance in hell I'm watching a second of that game again but for me his opinions seem to back up what someone else said last night, a lot of the issues last night seem to have started due to a lack of confidence and a hangover from the weekend.

Hopefully some cobwebs have been shaken out and we're back on it for a tough game at the weekend.

Great read

Glad I wasn’t the only one with the view about Cresswell last night. Seen loads of posts saying about him hitting it aimlessly down the line - I felt he passed it backwards repeatedly when there were actually options ahead of him and slung in crosses a couple of times when there was nothing really on.

Not sure he’s been the same since the back injury. Hopefully confidence and he’ll pick up as he’s been key for us a lot over last two seasons.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:59 pm The opposition view: Watford
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136687
Don't sit on the fence Jossy :crylol:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:34 pm Don't sit on the fence Jossy :crylol:
Not sure I'd value the opinion of a fan who forgot their only shot on target!
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:06 pm Another completely anonymous performance from Antonio. At least Yarmolenko contributes when we attack.
Antonio has been very poor some weeks recently. Last night he gets a free pass from me because he simply didn't get any chance to do anything, good or bad, until near the end when he took an air shot at a pull back from the byline. Up till then he had zero service
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Well it wasn't a classic the other night but we got the job done. I feel like a lot of the rest of the season is going to be like this due to the lack of bolstering in January and our already small squad.

Never too sniffy about a deflected goal. Fattus Frankus would have most of his chalked off if deflections didn't count.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Display from the lineo in the second half was just about the most pointless, useless and terrible I have seen. And we have seen some over the years.

I don't think he made a single decision other than to point his flag in the same direction that the ref was pointing.

How he managed to ignore the wrestling match with Antonio directly in front of him was astounding. And then to double down by not giving Coufal a free kick minutes later.

All swept under the carpet because we got the win. He shouldn't be allowed to run the line at this level until he improves.