West Ham Utd 1-0 Watford (8/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by steps »

Pretty dreadful game, agree about Hodgson having them well organised and hard to break down.

At times we looked devoid of ideas.

Probably what’s to be expected from these type of midweek fixtures at this point in the season though.

A win is a win. We take the points and move on.

Thought it was a pretty poor reception for Ngakia btw. The lad was badly advised but he played well during his time with us.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

It's only from Remo's clip that I realise quite how fortunate our goal was.

Foster would have made a routine save, without the deflection.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Coops wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:28 am That was a strange one, it seemed the lineman was determined not to give a freekick.
Weirder still, Coufal was fouled in the exact same spot a minute later and also got no free kick. And was then booked for protesting!
Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson »

prophet:marginal wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:32 am It's only from Remo's clip that I realise quite how fortunate our goal was.

Foster would have made a routine save, without the deflection.
Don't shoot, don't score.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Officiating was pretty lamentable yesterday. We were poor, Watford were worse.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:53 am Officiating was pretty lamentable yesterday. We were poor, Watford were worse.
The linesman down our right in the second half, was f*cking useless.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

S-H wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:57 am The linesman down our right in the second half, was f*cking useless.
Didn't have a clue what he was doing, did he. Absolute trumpet.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:53 am Officiating was pretty lamentable yesterday.
Was shocking all round. Normally it's only one or the other of the ref or the linesmen who have a bad day but it was both last night.

The back pass incident alone was a head scratcher.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Vic_Watson wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:39 am Weirder still, Coufal was fouled in the exact same spot a minute later and also got no free kick. And was then booked for protesting!
I thought the Coufal one was a blatant trip. I have no idea why it wasn't given. Officials seem to be getting worse.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Those were two of the most obvious freekicks you will ever see. We had an equally bizarre decision in the KIdderminster game where one of ours was pulled down outside the box. It's a bit worrying to be honest. Antonio in particular is not treated the same as other players due to his strength, but a foul is a foul.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

The officiating was shocking. Why did the ref not blow up for the obvious pass back? As to the lino on our right second half, the trip on Coufal and the wrestling/shove on Antonio were as obvious a foul as you'll ever see, right under the lino's nose? What possible explanation could there be for not giving those?
Captain Black
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Captain Black »

I am starting to wonder why we have linesmen? They don't appear to make any decisions off their own bat, both of them looked at the ref more than once to see what his reaction/decision was before 'confirming' it with a flag......a couple of really obvious throw in decisions were laughable, the poor look on the lino's face waiting to see what the ref said, and the play was no more than 5 feet away from him, but yards and yards away from the ref..........I thought the overall officiating was average to say the least, the pass back, the time wasting from the start, Foster is the 'best' at this, I've mentioned it about him before, he puts the ball down and will wait until the ref turns and faces him before he pretends to be deciding what he is going to do......taking the mick out of them.......the only good thing, was he was consistent, as he didn't appear to be pushing us along once we had scored.
Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson »

Captain Black wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:48 pm I am starting to wonder why we have linesmen?
The buggers can't even flag offsides anymore.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I knew it would be tight scrappy game and so it proved. Woy always has his teams organised and they worked hard.

Extremely fortunate goal, but as somebody else pointed out if you don't shoot then you wont score.

Thanks to Burnley we're back up to 4th, so happy days.
Devonhammer32
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Devonhammer32 »

Delighted to get the 3 points last night - with Antonio coming back from International duty, the initial Kurt / cat issue, then the selection of him It felt like the perfect storm for us to sink to a 1-0 loss.

A comprehensively forgettable game of football. But given everything above that's probably for the best.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Captain Black wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:48 pm I am starting to wonder why we have linesmen? .
Looked it up on the FA website - quote "to look pretty"

He had a mare didn't he!
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

davids cross wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:09 am Lanzini is not the player he was.

Not his fault, just circumstances.

But he's still good enough to come on and change the tempo and pattern of certain games.

He did that yesterday and it turned the game.
Why do you think he's not the player he was? What do you think he's lost? Me personally, I've been thinking that he's been looking like the Lanzini of old these last three months. In fact, I'd almost go so far as to say he's arguably in our top 5 or 6 best players.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

The main thing Lanzini lost from his game was Payet, the second, after that horrendous injury, was his confidence.

I still think he plays within himself, we are probably seeing Lanzini at about 70% which is still a quality player, by the way, he's just lost that sparkle.

Moments like the Palace goal are moments to savour, as sadly, they are few and far between these days, when those happy feet start dancing though, it really is a tremendous sight.

Still one of my favourite players, and still a huge asset to this team.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Must of been hard for guys on pitch...hugely let down by a team mate,he seems to have become a popular squad member really quickly,
be tough playing with a mate that did something like that,some prob didn't want him out there maybe.
Thought they dealt with it really well,well done to the team,not a great performance but got the job done.

3pts always important...but last nights were huge.

Nice to get the win for Isla as well.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

With so many teams playing different numbers of games, I thought it might be handy to look at the points per game average so far, as a guide. Table would read…

MC 2.47
Liv 2.18
Che 1.95
Tot 1.8
Ars 1.71
MU 1.7
WH 1.67
Wol 1.62

It’s all very close for 4th still and all to play for, and I’m still happy to be the ones with the points already in the bag.