Leicester City 2-2 West Ham Utd (13/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

wigwig

Re: ⚽ Leicester City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by wigwig »

Was in the home end yesterday. Fans turned on them as soon as our first went in, they were pissed. And the absolute fury at the end was amazing.

I have no idea where the team from the first 1/4 of the season has gone. Its weird, we give the ball away all the time, we'd cut that out last season and at the beginning of this season. We're difficult to watch atm. Rice looks like our only decent player.
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Pretty humiliating having to stand up and applaud Ricardos goal tho.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

wigwig wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:50 pm Pretty humiliating having to stand up and applaud Ricardos goal tho.
That's taking it a bit far, mate.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:33 pm Both FBs feature as worst XI of the week statistically.

Football365: Spurs fall-guy and Leeds pair feature in Premier League's worst XI of the weekend....
https://www.football365.com/news/spurs- ... s-worst-xi
Shocking stats for Cresswell there:

"Cresswell’s carelessness earns the lowest score of the lot, with none of his six crosses finding a team-mate and nor did either of his two long balls. In total, he gave the ball back to Leicester 16 times."

Oof.

Not much better for Vlad either:

"Coufal gave the ball away even more often than Cresswell, losing possession 20 times in 67 minutes before his number was up." :shock:
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:18 pm Leicester City 2-2 West Ham Utd: Analysis & Review (by Jack Elderton)
https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=44263
Another terrific review from Jack. :newthumb:
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

I am Legend wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:55 pm New contract, no competition, no one to push him to perform. He can continue to play 4/10 rated games, like he has since Jamaica wonder goal, and he won't be dropped. This is on Moyes and Antonio.
You kinda make it sound like he's choosing not to play well by virtue of not needing to put as much effort in because he won't get dropped. Surely, the team doing well and topping the goalscoring charts should still give him plenty of motivation.

He's well off form, no doubt, and not having another striker to share the workload is of course proving to be a nightmare, but I don't think it's for the sake of him not trying. As others have said, I think there's plenty of factors at play: low confidence (definitely), over-worked and knackered, too much pressure on him, and a fear of getting injured.
Last edited by steveyrockstar on Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

wigwig wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:49 pm Was in the home end yesterday. Fans turned on them as soon as our first went in, they were pissed. And the absolute fury at the end was amazing.

I have no idea where the team from the first 1/4 of the season has gone. Its weird, we give the ball away all the time, we'd cut that out last season and at the beginning of this season. We're difficult to watch atm. Rice looks like our only decent player.
Very harsh on Bowen!
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:59 pm "VAR looking after the top six as usual. Chris Kavanagh's is a knob head, never likes us."
- bluefox1

It appears to me that every clubs football fans say the same thing about everything
But we aren't part of the so-called 'top six' and we're the ones currently upsetting the hierarchy in the league, so bluefox's comment makes zero sense :chin:
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:27 pm Multiple things I reckon...

c. Moyes reluctance to change the team;

Every one is more defensively switched on against us.
Cant disagree and the above two are definitely linked.

We’ve all had our say on the appalling transfer window however regardless of whose fault it was, we are where we are. However, we do still have options.

We’ve got 3 potential No10s yet we don’t tend to use any player as a No10
We’ve got oxo-flex as a potential option up front yet he doesn’t get game time
We’ve got Kral who could play alongside either Rice or Soucek, allowing the other to ramble forward.
We’ve got Masuaku who can play wing back if we resort to 3 at the back
Similarly we’ve got Johnson or Fredericks who can play that role on the right
We could use Johnson on the right instead of Coufal ring as how Johnson is more competent on the right

We have the above options but every one of us can virtually pick our starting team every week barring one position (Benrahma / Lanzini / Vlasic). If we can do that then the opposition can as well.
I’m all for persevering with what’s worked the last 18 months or so however, his failing is the subs. The ones we make and when we make them.

I think if Moyes was to mix up the formation a little and we played for example, Vlasic as a 10 behind Antonio and Bowen allowing those 2 to float across the front, we would surprise teams and this would open up more goal scoring opportunities.

However, my gut tells me that he won’t change it cos he wants to give Rice the freedom of the pitch. Which is fine however, when Rice gets caught out of position, we need more discipline from the supporting players and unfortunately, in Cresswell, Fornals, Coufal and Soucek, we’ve got playes who are not having their best matches lately. Again though this goes back to using other options.

We’ve got a squad with a good couple of youngsters as well. We will never know if they can handle it if they don’t get the chances though. Is it better to drop points with your favourite players or drop points with different players ? Dropped points are dropped points and we are doing that a lot lately...
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

wigwig wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:49 pm

Nor me. We were also winning 50/50 balls too Where has that gone?
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:32 am Clattenburgs verdict on the handball
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -fair.html
Must admit I was waiting for VAR to disallow the goal
loftyboy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by loftyboy »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:35 pm Another terrific review from Jack. :newthumb:

I've never read his stuff before. Well worth a read to see the match from a tactical viewpoint
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Believer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:08 pm
However, my gut tells me that he won’t change it cos he wants to give Rice the freedom of the pitch. Which is fine however, when Rice gets caught out of position, we need more discipline from the supporting players and unfortunately, in Cresswell, Fornals, Coufal and Soucek, we’ve got playes who are not having their best matches lately. Again though this goes back to using other options.

We’ve got a squad with a good couple of youngsters as well. We will never know if they can handle it if they don’t get the chances though. Is it better to drop points with your favourite players or drop points with different players ? Dropped points are dropped points and we are doing that a lot lately...
That’s a key point. I think one of the reasons Rice will stay is to develop his game. Moyes has probably told him he will get to be a proper box to box midfielder if he stays whereas if he moves to a bigger club he will have to stick to the DM role.

On balance it is worth it as Rice is the best player, but it may have to be looked at in the future.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

That OV is very spursy

If Moyes won us a trophy and then we were mid table the season after I believe we would cut him some slack !!

2nd most deluded fans in the league
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:17 am That OV is very spursy

If Moyes won us a trophy and then we were mid table the season after I believe we would cut him some slack !!

2nd most deluded fans in the league
You say that but many don't cut him any slack and we're currently 4th and still in two competitions including Europe.

I read earlier that he's another Allardyce :lol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

loftyboy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:35 pm I've never read his stuff before. Well worth a read to see the match from a tactical viewpoint
One of KUMB's rising stars, is Jack. Check out the new KUMB Podcasts too:

https://www.kumb.com/podcast.php
HammerTime86
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by HammerTime86 »

That Jack Elderton analysis is really worth a read. I usually steer clear of analysis as it's sometimes a bit simplistic (even for a simpleton like me). But this was top notch. :newthumb:
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:27 pm Multiple things I reckon, Pete.

a. Protecting his fitness;
b. The travel;
c. Moyes reluctance to change the team;
d. Players in the supply line totally losing their way ;
e. Opposition treating us differently - they are more circumspect now, we don't offer up surprises in selection and no one disrespects the team as one they will batter - not even Man City or Liverpool;

West Ham were casually dismissed as a bit crap for an eternity, but that's not the way the opposition see a fixture against us any more. Every one is more defensively switched on against us.
I definitely agree with (a) and (e). I think one of our problems this year is that other teams have sussed us out. They know what Antonio does, they know his limitations, ditto the rest of the team.

I think Moyes is the best manager we could have hoped for and I'm very glad we've got him. We're doing better than we have for decades. He's really strong on fitness, team spirit, hard work, discipline, sticking to a plan.

He's less good on adapting the approach but, to be perfectly honest, I don't think we have the strength in depth to be doing that anyway. We can all watch enviously as Guardiola changes systems but he's got international stars sitting on the bench.

Messing around with a formation and style that we've worked bloody hard to get solid by chucking Arthur into the mix looks tempting on paper, but Arthur's still gonna Arthur - and some of us were tearing our hair out at his performances when he had a run earlier in the season.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Best OV for a while, that one.

You'd think reading that Leicester battered us for 90 minutes and we stole a draw with big Daws punching the ball into the net in the 99th minute.

A lot of entitlement for a team that were not even in the game until Cresswell had a complete brain fart and gifted them a penalty.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

The penalty right on halftime, was key.

If they don't get that, I believe their heads drop, and we run out comfortable winners.

That's the beauty of football, I guess.