Leicester City 2-2 West Ham Utd (13/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Re: ⚽ Leicester City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Billy Hunt »

Given the second half, that was a great point and could be a vital one.

The daft penalty seemed to knock the stuffing out of us, and they got a predictable second by putting a cross over to the back post where Cresswell was one again exposed.

I'll take the equaliser though, but I'd be miffed it that was given against us.

I'd say just Diop, Dawson, Bowen come out of that with a :newthumb:

Coufal, Cresswell, Soucek, Fornals and Antonio get a :thumbdn:

The rest were a bit average, although Benrahma injected a bit of urgency once he came on

As a team we are looking tired, and we have so few decent options from the bench to change things, and that may be our undoing.

I wish Moyes would just make a positive substitution a bit earlier ...
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Poor conditions yesterday didn’t make for a great game. First half, after Bowen scored a cracker of a goal, we were guilty of sitting back in shape and letting them try and break us down which they didn’t do at all. We looked pretty comfortable but should of capitalised while we were on top. The penalty was a gift and just one of those things rare that can happen when defending corners or set pieces.

Second half their outball was to Barnes on the left and he was getting the better of Coufal 9 times out of 10. We were struggling. It was hard to get a decent passing game together, our only threat was knocking the ball up to Antonio to hold up, which he did quite well a couple of times tbf.

Both Dawson and Diop had great games I thought. The equaliser was handball for me but I’m not complaining! We’ve had tons of decisions like that go against us over the years so it’s nice to be on the right end of one.

4 points off Leicester is not a bad return for the season. The other results of teams around also slightly went in our favour. It’s still shaping up to be a great season (hopefully).
Last edited by steps on Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think Kral wouldn't have been the worst sub he could've made yesterday. Geezer is rubbish and offers little, but he would've just sat and allowed Rice or Soucek to get forward a bit more, before we went **** or bust towards the end
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Fornals covered every blade of grass down our left, ahead of Cresswell.

Some of his passes didn't come off, but he was receiving the ball in often very tight positions, with little movement ahead of him.

Quite a few have posted that he had a bad game, but I don't see how he was any worse than any other midfielder yesterday; he certainly made as much effort as any other.
Felixstowesfinest
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Felixstowesfinest »

Poor 3-4 games we’ve had on the bounce
Although we have dug out 3 or 1 points to win or draw
Which really is a sign of a good team
I think it was the arse in the early 90s that would play awful but grind out the result
But..
lack of investment will bite us in the arse no doubt
No plan b which infuriates me
Stick another person up top with Micky for the last 10-15 minutes of chasing the game ..okoflex or Perkins ..
Like others have said our mojo has gone and hopefully we will find it in the next two home games and 6 points
Keep us up there in the lofty heights
Look we all know we won’t get 4th but we could of and that’s the part that ****'s me off
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Ludeksgloves wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:17 am Antonio is starting to worry me. Where was he yesterday? He's been missing for a few games now. The fact we can't bench him, Call-ups for a nation on the other side of the planet and "new contract syndrome" seem to have created a perfect storm to severely impact his form. I love Antonio, but he needs to find another gear to get back to his early season form... Let's hope he's just saving it for the Europa League.
The worry for me is that from the last 5 league games, which included Norwich, Leeds and Watford at home, he's had 3 shots, 1 on target and that was against Man Utd away. That's the same as Dawson.

Bowen had 16 shots in the same games with 6 on target.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:00 am Fornals covered every blade of grass down our left, ahead of Cresswell.

Some of his passes didn't come off, but he was receiving the ball in often very tight positions, with little movement ahead of him.

Quite a few have posted that he had a bad game, but I don't see how he was any worse than any other midfielder yesterday; he certainly made as much effort as any other.
My only criticism of Fornals was some of his crossing. He failed tk beat the first man on a couple occasions as he took far to long thinking about it.

Other than that he had decent game.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Have we got time for a trip to Miami?
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Ludeksgloves wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:17 am Antonio is starting to worry me. Where was he yesterday? He's been missing for a few games now. The fact we can't bench him, Call-ups for a nation on the other side of the planet and "new contract syndrome" seem to have created a perfect storm to severely impact his form. I love Antonio, but he needs to find another gear to get back to his early season form... Let's hope he's just saving it for the Europa League.
I reluctantly have to agree Ludek, he’s just not running the channels, and admittedly the service to him as deteriorated as well, but it’s a bit chicken and egg. For example, Bowen is still making runs and getting chances as a result.

I also love Mickey and appreciate him for what he’s done at our club since he arrived, but he needs to find some form quick because he’s always been a confidence player. Remember that bbc interview early in the season when asked if he could win golden boot? He replied without hesitation “why not?” How would he handle that question today?

It’s asking a lot of him to continue a purple patch for 18 months. I just think he needs a rest and we need to try a different partnership. Hopefully he can become our impact player.

Then again, what the hell do I know? It’s just my opinion, but the wife thinks the same.
👍🇨🇿
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

S-H wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:28 am Have we got time for a trip to Miami?
I will find the time for you mate x
ps: do you mind if i bring my golf clubs ?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:58 am I will find the time for you mate x
ps: do you mind if i bring my golf clubs ?

:lover:
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

We looked leggy and bereft of ideas yesterday.

Bowen and Lanzini worked incredibly hard for the team, but I worry that if Bowen is injured, where the goals will come from. Antonio looked despondent and uninterested for large parts of the game and we lacked the usual penetration from Creswell and Coufal.

Its also the most ineffectual I have seen Rice and Soucek together. Rice seems to want to attack with the ball a lot more, which at times left Soucek isolated and I wonder if this is feedback from England training.

Leicester looked like rabbits in headlights after the first goal, yet we sat back and allowed them to grow in confidence. Better teams will take us apart.

A lack of winter window spending looks like its starting to bite.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

i'm wondering as others have said before, whether teams have just sussed us out? That's why so many players look ineffectual.
There weren't many players who came out with much credit yesterday or looked up to par and we have to start giving the opposition and their managers some credit for working us out.
Problem is we don't have any variety or options to change much tactically.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Our passing in certain areas of the pitch was absolutely atrocious. Soucek, Coufal, and Dawson looked like they couldn't pass in a simple triangle at times yesterday, God knows what Soucek's pass completion was but if it's more than 50% I'll be surprised. That's absolutely criminal for a central midfielder at any level. I know that he's not a ball player, and he absolutely bossed it in the air all game, but heck.

A lucky point that our first half performance mostly deserved and our second half one probably didn't. Annoyingly all three would have given us some breathing room, especially with the games in hand those behind us have.

Benrahma and Bowen seemed to be the only attacking players wanting to have a go at scoring - Benrahma must have had more shots in his 15 minutes or so on the pitch than Antonio, Lanzini, and Fornals combined.

We need to tighten up all over the pitch. I think our next two might well be 'must win' games, especially the Wolves match - beat them and they can't overtake us just by winning their games in hand. Beating Newcastle might well burst the little bubble they have going after winning three on the spin and see them back in a dogfight for relegation, too.
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

For me yesterday boiled down to letting them back into the game with a soft penalty….giving Leicester fresh impetus for the 2nd half.
Rodgers got at them at half time to play down our flanks particularly use Barnes against Coufal ( who wasn’t having a great game ) Rice & Soucek were stopping Leicester going through our middle…& Diop & Dawson we’re looking solid
Lanzini & Fornals weren’t getting on the ball and Bowen & Antonio were feeding off scraps.
Fair play to Moyes taking Coufal off and bringing Fredericks on …he also switched Rice to the right to cover that space too.
Benrahma did well when he came on giving us something different going forward…
Worrying thing is that we don’t seem to press home our advantage when we are on top …to take some of pressure off our midfield & fullbacks. The midfield work hard without really creating much…fullbacks weren’t pressing forward stretching their defence.
Will be hard to break down Newcastle as they are more solid now at the back ….and will try & hit us on the break ….result next week depends on getting good possession in midfield and creating opportunities with good interplay around the box …that’s where Fornals Benrahma & Bowen interplay may be able to create chances.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I thought the first 20 or so minutes we looked back to near our best, zipping the ball about, lots of movement, was good stuff. Then we either sat back or Leicester upped it, perhaps a bit of both. 2nd half was all them for the majority, we look disjointed, Rice trying to cover too much, Soucek really off it in regards to ball playing (be interesting what his stats are and if he is still covering the same distance), Coufal getting torn a new one, Cresswell not on it and hasn't been since he has been back from injury in fairness. Plus side, the spine looked strong, just our flanks offensively & defensively looked out of sorts.

Brilliant finish from Bowen the highlight :newthumb:

Strange game in regards to chances, both keepers didn't have that much to do. Guess we snatched a point and overall I guess a draw a fair result, all be it if was a Leicester fan I would see it as 2 dropped as they almost saw it over the line, I don't buy we were lucky on the decision for the goal though as I'm sure it hit his shirt sleeve which is deemed ok??.

Could be a good point, time will tell, hopefully we get more of the first 20 or so minutes rather than latter.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

If Gabriel doesn't give a penalty away against us last season then that goal is perfectly good.

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:11 am i'm wondering as others have said before, whether teams have just sussed us out? That's why so many players look ineffectual.
There weren't many players who came out with much credit yesterday or looked up to par and we have to start giving the opposition and their managers some credit for working us out.
Problem is we don't have any variety or options to change much tactically.
I think that this is partly correct, but also think that we may have slightly under-estimated Leicester, due to their recent poor run of form.

In most areas of the pitch, they had some decent options last evening and it actually appeared to me that they may have realised that they've been letting their coach down a bit and put in a bit more effort than we expected.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Poor game but we was in control first half, its a shame that handball changed the game as it came out of nowhere. A draw was the fair result, i thought both teams were well below par.

Our performances have dipped recently but we have still grinded out results, hopefully those performances will improve soon and we can crack on.

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:12 am I don't buy we were lucky on the decision for the goal though as I'm sure it hit his shirt sleeve which is deemed ok??.
I was sat watching with two neutrals yesterday and we all agreed that, once the footage of the incident was clearly replayed, it couldn't possibly stand.

I have seen the ball ricochet into the net off someone's arm, but yesterday Dawson actually guided the ball with his arm and it went into the net. What I mean to say is that he actually moved the arm into the flight of the ball, so as to cause it to go in a different direction.

I still this morning cannot understand how that was allowed. Is it accidental and therefore permitted? Or can a ball now hit a bicep and get knocked into the net in a legitimate way? :eh: