West Ham Utd 1-1 Newcastle Utd (19/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by Albie Beck »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:08 pm Anyone else really impressed by Joelinton yesterday? He was an ongoing joke up front but I thought he was excellent in driving the ball forwards and generally being everywhere. Full credit to Howe for putting him there.
He actually improved quite a lot under Bruce towards the end. Full credit to the player.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:08 pm Anyone else really impressed by Joelinton yesterday? He was an ongoing joke up front but I thought he was excellent in driving the ball forwards and generally being everywhere. Full credit to Howe for putting him there.
Yeah, I said earlier on in the thread that I thought he was the best player on the pitch.

Picking up on a few other themes from the last couple of pages:

- Our game management is really poor. Twice in two weeks we've gone from going in at half time 1-0 up to losing a silly goal and giving the opposition impetus. Keep the ball, pass it between the defence and keeper, make fouls in positions far away from our goal, whatever.
- Yarmolenko, whatever your thoughts about him, can and does often make something happen when he's on the pitch. In the last 10 minutes, I don't care if he's going to track their wide player back because what we need then is inventiveness and somebody to pull something out the hat. He can do that.
- Fredericks was diabolical. His positioning was abysmal all through that half. I don't know if he was still feeling an injury because he was really not good.
- How many times were Newcastle midfielders the wrong side of ours? The same happened against Leeds to so it seems like it is something tactical.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Yeah I was impressed too. Played deeper than I expected but he used the ball really well, not dissimilar to Lanzini in that position but he has a sharp turn of pace too.

It maybe wasn’t the most entertaining match yesterday but I thought it was two decent teams nullifying each other. The weather didn’t help either team, wet, cold and windy. They matched us physically and I don’t think I’ve seen Soucek lose so many headers before.

Unfortunately Newcastle are a decent team now. Both teams had some half chances but in the main, both keepers didn’t have many saves to make. I thought Dawson and Zouma were our best players, and their CBs stood out too… tells you something about the game.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Interesting that joelinton received many plaudits for his performance yesterday. I agree, but he's always put in a shift even when he was playing up top, he just wasn't a good finisher. His fee was excessive but that's not his fault. I always though if you could combine him and haller into one player he'd be unstoppable!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I stand by my previous comments - Newcastle are ****.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

ChzMff wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:28 am Yeah, I said earlier on in the thread that I thought he was the best player on the pitch.

Picking up on a few other themes from the last couple of pages:

- Our game management is really poor. Twice in two weeks we've gone from going in at half time 1-0 up to losing a silly goal and giving the opposition impetus. Keep the ball, pass it between the defence and keeper, make fouls in positions far away from our goal, whatever.
Not sure game management was the problem. Against both Leicester and Newcastle we looked relatively comfortable, you can’t account for individual errors - Cresswell handball or Rice heading it the wrong way. It wasn’t like we were conceding loads of chances before the goals, and we’re not that much better than either of those teams to think we should be completely dominating the game.

As for why these individual errors are creeping in - especially from previously reliable players - maybe this is mental fatigue from playing so many games, maybe they’ve just randomly come along together, maybe the team is a bit flat from the transfer window. Hopefully Moyes will get to the bottom of it.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

I don't think we looked comfortable at any point on Saturday.

Zouma had the ball near the half line and then played a needless 30 yard diagonal that was easily cut out. Just pass sideways between your fellow defenders and keep the ball for a minute to get you into half time, particularly when you're fortunate to be up.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Form is temporary, even the very best sides go through bad spells, considering we've had a pretty astonishing 18months or so, we were due a slump at some point, regardless of January signing, I reckon.

We'll get there again, this is a different West Ham United.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

S-H wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:38 pm Form is temporary, even the very best sides go through bad spells, considering we've had a pretty astonishing 18months or so, we were due a slump at some point, regardless of January signing, I reckon.

We only looked good because Man U, Spurs and Arsenal were so out of form. Now they are getting their act together we are back to battling Wolves, Southampton and the rest of the middle to relegation teams. We now look ordinary at best. We had a chance and dropped the ball.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

S-H wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:38 pm Form is temporary, even the very best sides go through bad spells, considering we've had a pretty astonishing 18months or so, we were due a slump at some point, regardless of January signing, I reckon.

I hope you are right SH, all of us that have been watching The Irons for 40-50+ years find it hard to not expect us to "come down with the Christmas decorations"....an annoyingly accurate quote from many opposition fans
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Georgee Paris wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:49 pm We only looked good because Man U, Spurs and Arsenal were so out of form. Now they are getting their act together we are back to battling Wolves, Southampton and the rest of the middle to relegation teams. We now look ordinary at best. We had a chance and dropped the ball.
We looked good because we were good, some of the results and performances speak for themselves.

I'm not talking about League positions though, to be honest, as we certainly haven't looked anyway near a top four side since Christmas.

But talking about form, we started the season like a steam train, and had some smashing results, compare that to Wolves who were the opposite, but are now on a very good run of form.

Things can change quickly.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

goa127 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:16 am I always though if you could combine him and haller into one player he'd be unstoppable!
Speaking of Haller, he’s been linked with a summer move to Bayern.

And we sold him at a loss!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Unbeaten in four games over 14 days.

Some 'slump'.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:35 pm Unbeaten in four games over 14 days.

Some 'slump'.
There is something to be said in that. I wouldn't argue about the performances being poor but the West Ham I have supported for well over 50 years generally don't get last minute equalisers/winners especially when a major cup shock is on the cards.

I remember when a poor performance by us was a 4-0 defeat against a team who hadn't won in ages or didn't win for another 10 games.

That is three league games on the trot that me and my mates said we would have lost that a couple of yeas ago.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

I think I was more embarrassed by the booing at full time than the performance. Something we've rightly criticized Spurs fans for.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

arlhe wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:12 pm I think I was more embarrassed by the booing at full time than the performance. Something we've rightly criticized Spurs fans for.
With the cost of match tickets these days I think pepple are more than entitled to show their displeasure if they they think they have been served up a pile of crap.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

BondsoBob wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:17 pm With the cost of match tickets these days I think pepple are more than entitled to show their displeasure if they they think they have been served up a pile of crap.
I've never really thought about it that way.

(and I don't go to matches)

But, if that was the real reason behind the booing - surely some might just decide to not buy a ticket, as opposed to go there and boo players who have little control over the cost of the seat?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

We have looked poor, but we have still managed 5 points from 9 in our last three outings. The old West Ham probably would have drawn with Watford, and then lost to both Leicester and Newcastle.
Yes we do look knackered and I blame underinvestment both in the summer and especially in January. But I trust Moyes to pick us up out of the slump.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Interesting:

Dawson has scored 19 goals in the Premier League since the start of 2014-15 - more than any other central defender - with 14 of those coming via headers.