West Ham Utd 1-1 Newcastle Utd (19/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by Estuary »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:15 am Personally, I would prefer them to loathe their day out and feel as uncomfortable as possible both Stadium and match wise.
Their away end is equally far from the pitch and has ridiculously steep rake.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:09 am That is a damming indictment of the Stadium, to be considered worse than Selhurst.
Well it is, but I've seen people on here commend selhurst Park for being 'a real football stadium'. People also say that about Fratton Park. The two stadiums are remarkably similar in design, Palace is like Portsmouths big brother. Both decaying****holes. But hey, they're 'authentic'
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

goa127 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:45 pm Palace is like Portsmouths big brother. Both decaying****holes. But hey, they're 'authentic'
You can get a lovely sun tan at Fratton Park, less likely at Selhurst in the Arthur Waite...
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Estuary wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:45 am Their away end is equally far from the pitch and has ridiculously steep rake.
Easily the worst in the country along with Selhurst and Goodison.

Just read the comment in the OV about the shipping containers. Must say, I’ve never noticed (and I know other posters won’t agree) but if it’s true then that’s pretty cool as they are very eco friendly.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Decent & balanced OV :newthumb:

3 best players out? Trippier/Speedy Gonzales, who is the other? Wilson maybe?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:01 pm Wilson maybe?
Yes.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

OV pretty spot on.

I whole heartedly agree that with Trippier, ASM and Wilson they win that game.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:12 pmI whole heartedly agree that with Trippier, ASM and Wilson they win that game.
Perhaps, with our most consistent defender and most creative midfielder available, we'd have kept a clean sheet and scored more than one...
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:12 pm OV pretty spot on.

I dont. They were very lucky to get a result v Villa, ASM offered no goal threat at all and it was our poor form and Declan's schoolboy error that gave them a point and the impression of two matched teams, they are not. Play that game again tomorrow and we win it.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:12 pm OV pretty spot on.

I respectfully disagree. Mainly because a) they would have had a different game plan b) we play better against better sides and c) ASM gives the opposition as many chances to counter as he creates.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Estuary wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:24 pm I dont. They were very lucky to get a result v Villa, ASM offered no goal threat at all and it was our poor form and Declan's schoolboy error that gave them a point and the impression of two matched teams, they are not. Play that game again tomorrow and we win it.
Your missing Trippier there and Callum 'always scores against West Ham' Wilson.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:19 pm Perhaps, with our most consistent defender and most creative midfielder available, we'd have kept a clean sheet and scored more than one...
Lanzini you mean chief? If so it's a fair point (and Oggy) but I still think they would have won. We all know Callum Wilson loves playing against us.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:49 pm You can get a lovely sun tan at Fratton Park, less likely at Selhurst in the Arthur Waite...
Although I remember that match we played there when Zarate scored his first for the club and it was shades and caps as a minimum requirement at the front of a sweltering stand.

I love both those grounds and much happier visit them, than The Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Estuary wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:24 pm I dont. They were very lucky to get a result v Villa, ASM offered no goal threat at all and it was our poor form and Declan's schoolboy error that gave them a point and the impression of two matched teams, they are not. Play that game again tomorrow and we win it.
If we play that game tomorrow, our form will still be poor. It's been going on for 3 or so months now. Newcastle, meanwhile, are playing with far more confidence.
This Fish
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by This Fish »

Really happy with a point, because despite your recent form you're still a very good Premier League outfit.

Seen a few posts complaining about our spoiling tactics and I get it, but honestly? Without our best 3 players (plus our £40m midfielder who can't even get on the pitch for 10 minutes) we have to drag teams down to our level. I'd love to go toe-to-toe with good sides, but we're not good enough.

Was expecting Rice and Soucek to pose a bigger problem for our midfield, but Big Joe, Little Joe and Jon Jo have bizarrely turned into a combative, cohesive unit in midfield. Burn's tackle on Bowen was way after the whistle and I wouldn't have been shocked to see a yellow card there. Given Bowen is your most dangerous attacking player, I understand why he did it. You'd have been just as understanding if Zouma had done it to ASM, so lets not clutch our pearls too tight.

I think we need 4 more wins now and I'm much more confident of survival. We keep pulling teams above us back into the mire and if we beat Brentford we could be as high as 14th.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season.