West Ham Utd 1-1 Newcastle Utd (19/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I agree Crouchy. Yarmo doesn’t get enough time in games like that. Yesterday was one where he should have got minutes and would have been something different. Vlasic for Benrahma in the same position is not.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Moyes going all Big Sam yesterday..

Moyes 'thrilled' with a point

https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136715

:winker:
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Centre Half wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:20 am We made Shelvey look like the best player in the world yesterday the space we gave him in midfield.

Time after time he had all day to clip a bended pass into the channels which is where Newcastle were getting in behind us.

Someone needed to shut Shelvey down.
We have no midfielders whatsoever, especially on the right, who can connect defence to attack other than Rice and he drifts left a lot. Consequently AMs are pulling back with their backs to goal to get the ball. Lingard was different, he took defences on and we desperately miss that pace attacking from midfield. Soucek is ok as a DM and winning headers but his forward passing is atrocious.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:01 pm Moyes going all Big Sam yesterday..

Moyes 'thrilled' with a point

https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136715

:winker:
Context...

I was thrilled to take a point because we didn't play well," said Moyes during his post match presser.
"I think it was one of our poorer performances. Sometimes when it is not going well you need to make most of it. We keep adding to the points tally, and hopefully it'll be an important one at end of the season.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:06 pm Context...

I was thrilled to take a point because we didn't play well," said Moyes during his post match presser.
"I think it was one of our poorer performances. Sometimes when it is not going well you need to make most of it. We keep adding to the points tally, and hopefully it'll be an important one at end of the season.
Indeed.

Don't know why anyone would try and paint it differently, to be honest.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:06 pm Context...

I DID put a winky emoji so people would know it was tougue in cheek..
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Benrahma had a miserable game. He's not good enough to start, he brings great energy off the bench but a waste starting.

With Lanzini's passing clearly so important lately, Noble would have been better. He's not half as good, but we'd have held the midfield better, helped Rice and Soucek cope and add an option to find passes. Saying that, Vlasic would have been a better option than Benrahma - though I maintain putting him on down the left is damaging him.

Fredericks very hit and miss, Johnson too conservative on the ball. Coufal doesn't have to be good to be better than those two lately.

Find the criticism of Fornals a bit strange, wasn't at his best but seemed one of the few who could pass forwards. Worked his bits off too. The criticism of Antonio doesn't surprise me, but I feel strongly that it's wrong. Bowen drifts out of games often, but his moments in it have been vital lately. Couldn't last forever.

The centre backs were very good. Zouma hasn't put a foot wrong since he put his foot wrong on video, whilst Dawson has been excellent last few.

Think, at the moment, we need to do something that helps Soucek and Rice. At the start of the season, I'd have never thought Lanzini so vital. What's more shocking is that lately I feel like we've missed Masuaku. The back five would be a good option right now, plus his ball carrying would be a big help
Hammer_Time1
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

Having had chance to sleep on it.. that was a bit shiteee wasn't it? We've got to be beating relegation candidates Newcastle at home without their 2 best players. Majorly set the weekend off on a sour note! Our last 'good' performance was Leeds in the cup in early Jan, we've been below par for an alarming amount of time now and I don't think we can blame it on players being tired anymore. With Wolves, Arsenal and Spurs winning and with games in hand, we could easily be 8th in a few weeks' time, which although not the end of the world from where we were a couple of seasons ago, it would be massively disappointing after starting the season so strongly. The lack of January investment has come back to bite us big time. Far too many players in poor form at the minute, without viable options from the bench. Ah the life as a West Ham fan.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

We need to do something different, we need to just offer something else, at this point we have nothing to lose.

Why not swap Bowen and Antonio?
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

That's not actually the worst suggestion I've heard. Perhaps get them to swap during the game? Keep defenders guessing?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Three in midfield three up top. Change it a bit .more solid in midfield .
Fabianski
Johnson Dawson zouma Cresswell
Rice soucek kral
Vlasic bowen fornals
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

goa127 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:58 pm That's not actually the worst suggestion I've heard. Perhaps get them to swap during the game? Keep defenders guessing?
We know Bowen can play as a striker and we know Antonio can play right wing / wing back.

If clubs have sused us out then why not. I'd even consider doing the following:

Fab
Antonio...Coufal...Dawson...Zouma...Cress
Rice......Soucek
Lanzini................Fornals
Bowen

We need to do something different
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

The formation suggestions are logical under the current circumstances, and as I said before could have been tried against Burnley, Watford and Newcastle. Could even try Antonio AND Bowen as a 2 up top? Then either can drift to the wing and leave one central. Also a kid or two could have been given 15 minutes in preparation for Europe. If we get a couple of injuries, can you imagine any U23 players facing the likes of Sevilla or Barcelona, untried at a high level? Perkins is the only U23 to play in PL and then only for 3 minutes ffs! Considering our thin, knackered squad and injury problems, that is ridiculous. But Moyes has tried nothing, even his subbing is questionable and lacks imagination. Huge respect for getting the team this far, big disappointment for his squad management, transfer policy and inflexibility.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I thought the booking for Fredericks was extremely harsh. And it did have an effect on his hame for the rest of the half.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but unless the challenge is a really bad one, what’s wrong with referees giving a player a warning first before dishing out their first card!? It was the first challenge of note from Fredericks. And it was quite high up the pitch.

Another ref that just wanted to get his cards out for the sake of it. :thumbdn:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Give over, Fredricks booking was absolutely the correct decision. He cynically stopped the Newcastle player getting away and dumped him over the touch line for good measure.

It was a stupid booking too, for a player with his pace, that high up the pitch.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Denbighammer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:58 am Give over, Fredricks booking was absolutely the correct decision. He cynically stopped the Newcastle player getting away and dumped him over the touch line for good measure.

It was a stupid booking too, for a player with his pace, that high up the pitch.
Schar gave away a freekick around the 10th-15th minute (I think) by doing a body check on right on Bowen. The ref didn’t give Schar a yellow card, It was beyond an inconsistent performance from the ref in that 1st half.

For me the best refs never give out yellow cards on first challenges unless they are bad ones. Fredericks should’ve had the same treatment as what Schar had.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

:crestnew: both should have been booked
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Both were clear bookings especially the one for Fredericks.

If Bowen had done the usual PL trick of rolling around in mock agony, then Burn should have seen red as well for his out of control hack in the last minute.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Denbighammer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:58 am Give over, Fredricks booking was absolutely the correct decision. He cynically stopped the Newcastle player getting away and dumped him over the touch line for good measure.

Spot on.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

As I said in the pre-match part of this thread stop Willock and that’s the game. We didn’t and paid a two point price.
We were a our very worst in some of the game, witness Rice “defensive” header that ended as an assist for Willocks goal, amateur hour from our golden boy.
We need to shake this off immediately and move on.