West Ham Utd 1-1 Newcastle Utd (19/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by Diogenes »

steps wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:20 am Newcastle had the better possession.

For the game our overall was 47%.

As I said in my previous post. Playing like that at home against the likes of Newcastle is shocking.
Most of that possession was their defence knocking it around in their own half and back to their keeper. Hardly a masterclass in football tactics.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2782 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

I realise this isn’t the transfer thread but I think Antoine Semenyo at Bristol City would suit us. He created their first yesterday and the scored the second, very strong and quick. Pearson now saying they want £20 million for him, his value has increased a lot over the last few months.
Despite what Moyes seems to think, he’s certainly better tan what we have in Yarmalenko.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:29 pm Yeah, as you rightly acknowledge that is "controversial", in that as much as I love Mark and have supreme respect for him and what he did for us over a period of more than a decade, he is shot as a premier league player isn't he? I mean he might get himself through a game or two against a Norwich or Palace but he's not even a medium term option. Frankly, I don't think he's even a short term option. To play hem, is to acknowledge the paucity f our squad depth.

But taking a step back, you defended that crap January window of total inactivity as you have defended many crap windowed before it. I don't expect you to acknowledge they were crap windows even though your own self-admittedly "controversial" thoughts re: Nobes will clearly indicate to most that that window was indeed crap (have I said that word enough for emphasis?). By all means post stuff like this now. Just expect people like me point out that what you have defended has led us to where we are now - another wasted year and wasted opportunity.
Absolutely spot on Dave :newthumb:

Another wasted opportunity indeed, yet certain posters tirelessly defend the indefensible, it must be exhausting for them!
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Possession is one of those stats that I tend to just ignore.

Our style of play isn't about playing keep ball, much like when Leicester won the league.

Swansea used to play 'possession' football by passing the ball between their centre backs and midfield, they'd have 60+% possession every game but do nothing with it.

Newcastle spent most of the game passing it between their back four, hoping we'd press high and they could punt a ball up to their front three. So their possession was higher, they still managed less shots on target in the first half with their 60% possession than we did with our 40%.

And but for Rice somehow heading the ball the wrong way we'd have gone in 1 goal up having had more shots on target despite their passing between their defenders.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2952 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

1895Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:52 pm Weghorst at Burnley, the 2 Juve boys at N17, Kamara the lb at Watford, none exactly bank breakers but all would have been welcome on the bench today.
Weghorst. An unvaxxed idiot, toxic character, who wouldn't sit on the bench. He also has a low transfer clause in his contract if Burnley go down. Big no.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The problem is that many teams allow us to have possession - Newcastle did this in the second half

We then have a real issue knowing what to do with it
Crouchend_Hammer

Weghorst would have been q decent signing IMHO. His vaccination status is neither here nor there for me
Bubbles Fortuna

Hammer.CA wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:54 am I realise this isn’t the transfer thread but I think Antoine Semenyo at Bristol City would suit us. He created their first yesterday and the scored the second, very strong and quick. Pearson now saying they want £20 million for him, his value has increased a lot over the last few months.
Despite what Moyes seems to think, he’s certainly better tan what we have in Yarmalenko.
He'd scored one goal before January, he's hit some form in the past month, that doesn't suddenly make him a brilliant forward.

Andreas Weimann is their top goal scorer with 16 this season, should we sign him?

For what it's worth Moyes hasn't said that we can't find anyone better than Yarmolenko, because he doesn't want better than Yarmolenko, he wants better than Benrahma or Lanzini.
Bubbles Fortuna

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:00 am Weghorst would have been q decent signing IMHO. His vaccination status is neither here nor there for me
Regardless of anyone's feelings on vaccination status, not wanting to get political, that's apparently why Burnley had a free run at him.

Obviously other clubs who may have looked at him were put off, I don't know if that includes us.
Bubbles Fortuna

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:58 am The problem is that many teams allow us to have possession - Newcastle did this in the second half

We then have a real issue knowing what to do with it
This is spot on, we're terrible in possession, at the moment with this team I don't want possession!
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:51 am Most of that possession was their defence knocking it around in their own half and back to their keeper. Hardly a masterclass in football tactics.
True.

We were happy to let them do it though. Didn’t see many of our players pressing them. But that could be down to our players’ energy levels being low.

Point I was trying to make in my first post was we didn’t do a lot in terms of trying to break them down. Second half our only form of attack was to hit them on the break.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:56 am

And but for Rice somehow heading the ball the wrong way we'd have gone in 1 goal up having had more shots on target despite their passing between their defenders.
Twice in consecutive games that we give up a frankly foolish equaliser whilst they're cutting the oranges in the dressing room.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:56 am Possession is one of those stats that I tend to just ignore.

Our style of play isn't about playing keep ball, much like when Leicester won the league.
Again true. But it’s not necessarily about playing keep ball. Sometimes it’s breaking teams down which we’re notoriously crap at. Darren Lewis just did a bit about us on SSN and talked a bit of sense about us having no plan b.
Bubbles Fortuna

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:17 am Twice in consecutive games that we give up a frankly foolish equaliser whilst they're cutting the oranges in the dressing room.
Exactly.

Our attacking players seem to be getting a lot of flack but they're doing their job. The problems this season has been with our defending.

If we could defend we'd be fairly secure in the top 4.
Bubbles Fortuna

steps wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:20 am Again true. But it’s not necessarily about playing keep ball. Sometimes it’s breaking teams down which we’re notoriously crap at. Darren Lewis just did a bit about us on SSN and talked a bit of sense about us having no plan b.
We are appalling at breaking other teams down. That's true.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2782 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:00 am He'd scored one goal before January, he's hit some form in the past month, that doesn't suddenly make him a brilliant forward.

Andreas Weimann is their top goal scorer with 16 this season, should we sign him?

For what it's worth Moyes hasn't said that we can't find anyone better than Yarmolenko, because he doesn't want better than Yarmolenko, he wants better than Benrahma or Lanzini.
I never said he was ‘brilliant’ I doubt Sulli would be inclined to fork out for brilliant unless as another “we tried” story. Weimann wasn’t named Championship player of the month, Semenyo was recently, the first Bristol City player to win that award since 2017.
Moyes has consistently said “better than what we already have” Lanzini and Yarmalenko are both in our first team squad.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

:wine:
Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:24 am We are appalling at breaking other teams down. That's true.
Goalscoring isn't our biggest problem, defending is, we do score quite a few goals, even when not playing well.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Anyone else really impressed by Joelinton yesterday? He was an ongoing joke up front but I thought he was excellent in driving the ball forwards and generally being everywhere. Full credit to Howe for putting him there.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

As cr*p as we was in the 2nd half it was once again a game of fine margins thanks to our shambolic defending.

If Rice didn’t cock that header up we win the game 1-0. Last week if soppy b*locks Cresswell doesn’t handball it we’d probably go on to win the game.

The most frustrating thing above all else with our recent performances is teams aren’t scoring against us through sheer quality. We are constantly gifting the opposition cheap goals.
Crouchend_Hammer

Looking back at the highlights, Declan made two uncharacteristic errors in the first half. Firstly after two mins when he dawdled and let Joelinton in (and tbf it could have been q penalty) and then the poor header for the goal

First ten minutes we were all.over the shop qnd Newcastle had plenty of half chances in the box which we were able to make last gasp blocks.

We grew into it and it was a case of which defence was going to be the most shoddy. Newcastle played very open game which led to qn entertaining first 45 minutes but apart from Bowen hitting the bar we couldn't quite convert opportunities into chances.

A lead at half time would have flattered us but we nearly achieved that. They had been targeting Fredericks all game and Fraser was causing him all sorts of problems sothe goal was not a surprise. Fraser was allowed to run from a central area around d the back of the other rplayer on the over lap and Soucek didn't go with him and then obviously Rice duffed the header. It was a good finish by Willock bit Frderifks and Dawson should have done better, and then it was all about the rub of the green which went against us

Second half was absymal. Newcastle tightened up and allowed us to have more possession qnd we just tried the same thing over and over again which was getting it wide and crossing. We didn't look like conceding but we didn't look like scoring either

Taking off Benhrqmq and not Soucek was a mistake qnd not bringing on Yarmo was another. I got the impression Moyes was reasonably happy with a point and then match petered out into nothing. Newcastle deserved a point for their attacking intentions qnd very attacking line up and they celebrated getting one - but tbf we made it very easy for them second half