West Ham Utd 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers (27/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2704 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Wolverhampton Wanderers: match thread

Post by sendô »

61dicksey wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:00 pm Was Bowen as bad as the pundits say guest? He wasn’t at his sparkling best but 4/10 ?
He had a bit of a quiet day and didn't get into the game as much as we'd all like. Made a good run first half at one point reminiscent of the 2nd vs Liverpool but played the ball to Antonio all wrong.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:49 pm Sorry but the atmosphere was terrible today. It was the worst it’s been in a long time.
There was plenty of singing where I was sitting, 217 next to the away fans. Much more than in the last few games.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1304 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:49 pm Sorry but the atmosphere was terrible today. It was the worst it’s been in a long time.
Agreed it was poor, we tried to get songs going in the BML but it honestly felt like people were too nervous. The win was desperately needed.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

sendô wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:34 pm He had a bit of a quiet day and didn't get into the game as much as we'd all like. Made a good run first half at one point reminiscent of the 2nd vs Liverpool but played the ball to Antonio all wrong.
I'm not even sure he got the ball all wrong.

Wolves were defending deep and Sa is lightning quick off of his line. Would have had to be an absolutely perfect pass to catch them out.
zinger549
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by zinger549 »

Close game today but we got the win so onwards and upwards.
Bristoliron338
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Bristoliron338 »

Zouma doesnt care if they wolves or cats hehe
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Agreed, shocked at how little singing there was. Just a couple of half-hearted renditions of 'come on you Irons' and nothing else. Brought a mate down for his first ever match and he must've thought games are always that flat.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I’ll be honest, pre-match i thought we’d lose.
Swings and roundabouts with some players improving,some not so, But overall it was a bit more solid but with still plenty of room for improvement.
Zouma was my motm although even he made a couple of mistakes.
Interesting that antonio saw much more of the ball than bowen. Both were guilty of making bad decisions but we’re about 70% there.
All credit to dawson who again had a great game, soucek was better too.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Johnson playing right back seems to settle the team down imo, he's solid defensively, and it seems to help going forward that the team is happy with him basically defending the right hand side.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

So much better today than last week.

I found Johnson being out the team bizarre, condisdering when he had a run of games he had played well, then all of a sudden he was dropped. Played really well today.
Rice just class.
Fornals put in a great shift.

The good thing about today is no one had a bad game (although some of Antonio's touches were horrendous)
brooking_1980
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Super performance, everyone played well, Fabianski took all the pressure off at the end, just taking the ball so confidently.

Do think we need to take our chances, we had a few. Edging that 1-0 was a bit fine, they could have got 1 and then a massive dissappointment. Which is how its been recently.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

The key today was the improvement in passing. Rice-fornals-lanzini-cresswell. That combination down the left seriously troubled Wolves. The only below par performance was Bowen, but he's entitled to an off day now and again. I remember thinking after about 30 mins that whatever the result we were playing really well. It's light years away from some of the dross we have had in years gone by. t was a hard fought tactical battle against one of the league's best organised teams.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Best performance by us for months - by a country mile. Wolves are really, really good. Any match decided by one goal is - by definition - close and the performances from both teams today showed that.

Didn't have a scooby that Moyes would play a 3-5-2. It worked well. Antonio up front with Bowen works. Never thought I'd see Fornals as LWB but he did a good job. Did very well with Cresswell when both were making runs down the left flank. No quite sure what you call a CB who drifts towards LW, feel free to let me know.

Johnson repeatedly got into acres of space on the right, did very well except with the final balls into the box. Decision-making was right each time, it was just the execution that was poor. Zouma seemed to make tons of blocks/interceptions/tackles today.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why Jiminez didn't start. Knock or something? The guy is pure class, thank **** he was only on the pitch for 10 mins. Neves looked really good - as always. And it was the best I've seen Silva play, although his first touch let him down a couple of times. He's not quite there yet, but on what I saw today I wonder if he'll be one to watch next season - if he puts a bit more hard work in.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

It may have been the one and only thing he did when he came off the bench, but Diop clattering Jimenez in the last few minutes was one of the highlights of the game! :D
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

richneal wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:29 am

For the life of me I cannot figure out why Jiminez didn't start. Knock or something? The guy is pure class, thank **** he was only on the pitch for 10 mins. Neves looked really good - as always. And it was the best I've seen Silva play, although his first touch let him down a couple of times. He's not quite there yet, but on what I saw today I wonder if he'll be one to watch next season - if he puts a bit more hard work in.
Lage left a few out didn’t he. Maybe because they had a tough away game at Arsenal on Thursday, or maybe he underestimated us after our recent results. Whatever it was in hindsight it was a big mistake to not play Jiminez, Podence and Neto from the start. Maybe not so much so Neto as he’s just recently back from injury, but it would be like us benching Bowen snd Antonio for an important game.

Our pressing was great yesterday and the team looked energised, we looked like the West Ham of last season.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

61dicksey wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:00 pm Was Bowen as bad as the pundits say guest? He wasn’t at his sparkling best but 4/10 ?
I would say so. He was about as much use as the Russian army
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well that was much better, played the ball quicker, stuck more up top, created a little more, nice forward step this game. Was delighted when I heard the Wolves team, gave us the edge at the start I felt.

Looked more solid, the last 15 I was biting my nails, I get you protect what you have but to sit that deep?!?! It worked though so fair play and a massive 3 points for us, hopefully that kick starts the confidence level up another notch.

Fab was imperious with the crosses, didn't have that much to do but what he did was superb. Zouma is back to his best, thought he was solid all game, his reading of the game, marshaling the defence, excellent from him.

I thought Fornals was playing LB for half the game, again it worked so fair play, he has a cracking engine on him. Wolves are a good side, I guess I thought we paid a little bit too much respect to them, but we got the 3 points and that's the priority this time of the season. Well done Moyes and the team :newthumb:

I really don't like Sunday games though, I will take it when in Europe as that's a given, but for TV, meh..
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:22 pm Johnson playing right back seems to settle the team down imo, he's solid defensively, and it seems to help going forward that the team is happy with him basically defending the right hand side.
If he can work on his delivery into the box in training then he might become a permanent fixture at RB as defensively he is very good. He put some OK balls in the box but they need more pace and whip on them.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Guys, whilst I accept Bowen was less eye catching than normal, is it possible that both he and Fournals were given orders to do more of the less glamours side to ensure our often muted weaker full back positions were not exposed?

Remember the points we have thrown away after some school boy defending at times.

Moyes, and the coaching team, might have a completely different view of Bowen’s performance against the team plan.

For me, Bowen is never less than fully committed and of course he can have off days, but in my opinion we may be judging him at 4/10 very unfairly.
👍🇨🇿🇺🇦
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:53 am If he can work on his delivery into the box in training then he might become a permanent fixture at RB as defensively he is very good. He put some OK balls in the box but they need more pace and whip on them.
yep, a bit floaty at times but I really like Johnson as he never really gives me the heebie jeebies defensively, impressive for such a young lad.

He could do worse than study TAA delivery, the way he hits the ball, I appreciate its a god given talent but work on that in training and he can go up another level fairly quickly.