West Ham Utd 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers (27/2/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Wolverhampton Wanderers: match thread

Post by WCpete »

That was a hard watch at times, but I thought that was the best we've played in a long, long time. And we played well all 90 mins. That's what happens when we get more than half the side on 7/10 performances or better. And Zouma, standout MOM. What a colossus today. Soucek, Antonio and Dec right behind him. So good to see Soucek looking like himself again. Great win today against a difficult side.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Coops wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:36 pm I reckon that was the best we have played since before Christmas. The best atmosphere, for a while, too.
It's hard to pick a MOTM but either Fornals or Zouma for me. Although Lanzini was mustard and Antonio looked almost back to his old self.
A few more performances like that and top 6 is ours.
Sorry but the atmosphere was terrible today. It was the worst it’s been in a long time.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

alfahammer wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:42 pm I could be wrong but if you are referring to Raul Jiminez I think he wears the headband for protection because he cracked his skull with Willian playing Farse last year. The injury nearly cost him his career and if I'm not mistakent they thought at the time it happened he might not wake up.
I still recall hearing the sickening crack watching that game.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:10 pm In this case will 7th place qualify for the Europa League or Conference? I thought whoever finishes 7th gets Conference League?
FA Cup might push 7th down to a European place, but that place would be the conference league.

Top 4 is Champion's League, 5th Europa, FA Cup Europa and League Cup Conference.

League Cup has been won by Liverpool who will qualify anyway so as it stands 6th is Conference League.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:54 pm FA Cup might push 7th down to a European place, but that place would be the conference league.

Top 4 is Champion's League, 5th Europa, FA Cup Europa and League Cup Conference.

League Cup has been won by Liverpool who will qualify anyway so as it stands 6th is Conference League.
Best performancr today since pre Xmas. 7th should get conference unless Leicester win it in which case I think they take one of the EL spots and 6th is conference (again assuming FA cup goes to a top six side). Far to many moving pieces at the moment.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Was Bowen as bad as the pundits say guest? He wasn’t at his sparkling best but 4/10 ?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

61dicksey wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:00 pm Was Bowen as bad as the pundits say guest? He wasn’t at his sparkling best but 4/10 ?
Made some decent runs first half but seemed to completely run out of steam second half. I doubt he has three big games in a little over a week in him right now.
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Good performance that. Much better and I enjoyed our press rather than waiting for the opposition to get tour box before we engage.

Moyes spot on with the change going to a 5 back without the ball but we were really fluid in possesion going back to a 4. I haven't always been a Moyes-ite but he got it spot on today.

As for the players, Rice was class 1st half, Zouma was brilliant and my MoM. Dawson grest too and not a bad performance out there.

As for Antonio, my theory based on the past couple of years and not much data is that he is crap when it's cold but as soon as the sun comes out he is a different player. But he was class today so more of that please.

Well happy ahead of a massive week
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Weird game in the fact that up until the 15 minute mark we were toilet and then we spring to life

Fornals and Rice both went from awful to man of the match standard, with the latter probably nabbing it for me.

Wolves could play until Russia leave Ukraine and still not score a goal. In part to a terrific defensive display from our back five, special mention for Fabianski who commanded his area as a man of his calibre should.

Back in the top 6/7 hunt.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Jarrod did okay first half and might have got a brace on another day.

BBC readers' MOTM was...Rúben Neves with 8.99 out of 10.

Zouma got 6.66. The cat-lovers of the world still making their feelings known. :crylol:
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Thought we played through the centre far quicker today, less of the endless working to the wing of recent weeks.
Better balance between Tom and Dec as to who goes forward when, and overall far more energy resulting in some great pressing.
Antonio excellent to 75 mins then gassed, needed Vlasic earlier, hope Michail can repeat on Weds then I’d rest him for Anfield to return at Sevilla, who will find him rather different to what they are used to.
Zouma was just magnificent.
Overall far better and if we can do that for remainder Europa qualification very possible even if Champs League is a stretch too far.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:38 pm Interesting you say that because on Sky it was absolutely dead, you could hear phones, things creaking and (I’m sure) birds singing at one point.

The effects team must have been at Wembley .
All TV channels do a terrible job of micing up the crowd at most games.

I watched back the Tottenham and Liverpool games the day after and the atmosphere was fine on both, nothing special. In reality I came away from both games with a pounding headache from the noise we'd been making in the second half.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Gsbgsb wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:58 pm Best performancr today since pre Xmas. 7th should get conference unless Leicester win it in which case I think they take one of the EL spots and 6th is conference (again assuming FA cup goes to a top six side). Far to many moving pieces at the moment.
I think we're allowed 8 European representatives so even if Leicester win it doesn't effect the league tables.

It's only a problem if Leicester were to win it, and we won it and finished 8th. Then 7th would miss out.

I think :lol:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Always an interesting read the evening/day after a match this :newthumb:

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:10 pm In this case will 7th place qualify for the Europa League or Conference? I thought whoever finishes 7th gets Conference League?
I'd take the conference.

Spurs should have respected it more

End of the day a trophy is a trophy

If we qualify for some kind of Europe two seasons in a row through league position alone that's real progress

Yes we all dreamed of champs League but hasn't Europa been cracking so far?
BoleynInsider
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 212 likes

Post by BoleynInsider »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:45 pm I'd take the conference.
Conference league next season would be quality, look at the teams who are still in it… Marseille, Roma, Feyenoord, Copenhagen, etc.

Of course Europa again next season would be the dream, but certainly shouldn’t be turning our noses up at Conference like Spurs did!
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

alfahammer wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:42 pm I could be wrong but if you are referring to Raul Jiminez I think he wears the headband for protection because he cracked his skull with Willian playing Farse last year. The injury nearly cost him his career and if I'm not mistakent they thought at the time it happened he might not wake up.
Ah. Now I feel bad. Should make him wear a hard hat and a hi vis then really.

Thought Zouma was a monster today. Almost as tho he has forged his own siege mentality.

I thought we played well in stages today. At one point I distinctly remember being bored as we kept trying to work the channels again - but we mixed it up and played some nice stuff thru the middle as well.

Moyes afterwards talking about the long term and us being up the right end of the table consistently...

I really hope we have faced our slump and now go on and kick on. The world of football would collectively **** itself if West Ham somehow made the CL.
HammerJammer
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HammerJammer »

Zoomer has played really well since the kittycat incident.
We should all boo him more often.
:smiler: :smiler: :smiler:
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Kurt Zouma’s game in numbers against Wolves:

62 touches
87.2% pass accuracy
11 clearances
4 shots blocked
3 interceptions
2 tackles
2/2 ground duels won
3/4 aerial duels won

That's a good day at the office.
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:49 pm Sorry but the atmosphere was terrible today. It was the worst it’s been in a long time.
:newthumb:
Yes, it was awful!