The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Lovejoy »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 pm Bowen's got 18 goals - what are you expecting and how much do you want spend for how many extra goals?
From playing wide right, we need a Centre forward, we actually could do with 2 but we need to sign a first choice striker.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

-DL- wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 pm Am I the only one on this forum that actually doesn't give a flying **** what a player costs, what a player earns, so long as they improve our team with their signing?

Let the money men worry about the money, and I'll just enjoy watching them.
I’d be more than happy watching 11 Valentin Castellanos looky likey’s on the pitch :newharry:
Last edited by upton girlie on Wed May 25, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Assuming a) JWP actually wants to come to us and b) we're prepared to stump up whatever outrageous number Southampton dream up; I think that he either plays when either Soucek or Rice need a rest or lose form, or he's one of the three behind Antonio (or the new striker that we actually need). If we end up signing Lingard, I suspect that he, Bowen and Fornals will be the chosen three with Lanzini and Benrahma as the first reserves. It seems a bit silly to spend big on someone who's effectively going to be the Craig Dawson of the front six unless we're expecting another load of injuries.

That said, I do think there's a case for not always playing two defensive midfielders but, I also think you can make a strong case for telling Soucek to play further forward in those games.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

A Ward-Prowse, Bissouma, Phillips, Gallagher...whoever it is... would primarily be competing with Soucek and Rice. There might be half a dozen times they all start together.

In a 60 game season theyll all get plenty of starts (45+ if evenly distributed...maybe a few more towards Rice).

Its important in ensuring we can rotate without compromising quality too much for me.

Lingard will compete for Lanzinis spot. He might compete with Fornals and Benrahma on those half a dozen games we play all 3 top quality CMs.

All in my opinion.

4th CM is probably Coventry
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Lovejoy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:23 pm From playing wide right,
So does Salah in a team that doesn't have a 'centre-forward'

Antonio has 18 goals and assists in the PL in the centre forward role. Ain't many better and most of them cost a packet.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Wed May 25, 2022 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

YorksHammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:12 pm I said it a couple of days ago - I think Werner would be really good for us.
On the grounds that he can't score in a brothel either so would fit right in :grin: I really want us to sign a young Jimmy Greaves ..... someone who I don't care about the fact that he does absolutely f*** all for the entire game apart from score a hattrick.
Misko
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:22 pm I suspect were this Man City, Liverpool, Bayern or Madrid, Mr Toure would definitely be having second thoughts.
There is probably a large part of truth in your statement. But that Touré kid didn't even play 20 games as a pro. I would consider it smart not to rush abroad and take the time to first establish himself as a confirmed starter in France. It makes sense to me.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Hammer.CA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:07 pm I’m not claiming to be ‘in the know’ , a Leicester supporting friend of mine messaged me saying that he’s been told by a very good source* that West Ham have made a bid for Luke Thomas, their young left back.
Just relaying what I’ve been told.

*he originally said ‘a very good sauce’ I automatically assumed we’d want him on the HP.
Interesting as I think we were after him when he was at derby… guessing he will cost a lot more now!
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Romfordboy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:35 pm Interesting as I think we were after him when he was at derby… guessing he will cost a lot more now!
Didn’t he come through the Leicester academy ?
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:38 pm Didn’t he come through the Leicester academy ?
I have my Luke Thomas’s mixed up!

Be surprised by this though… unless Leicester are in a bit if fpp trouble
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

JWP and Fornals are quite different players to compare but I’d say they are a broadly similar level, it is certainly close.

There is a reason Saint fans think JWP is worth £70m+ and it’s not because he’s as average as many people are painting him.

In any case we won’t be signing him as Southampton will over price him.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1484 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:27 pm A Ward-Prowse, Bissouma, Phillips, Gallagher...whoever it is... would primarily be competing with Soucek and Rice. There might be half a dozen times they all start together.

In a 60 game season theyll all get plenty of starts (45+ if evenly distributed...maybe a few more towards Rice).

Its important in ensuring we can rotate without compromising quality too much for me.

Lingard will compete for Lanzinis spot. He might compete with Fornals and Benrahma on those half a dozen games we play all 3 top quality CMs.

All in my opinion.

4th CM is probably Coventry
This is the main reason why our season started to decline from January onwards. We simply did not have enough strength in depth and the core of the squad ran out of steam.

Rice, Soucek, Fornals, Bowen, Antonio and Dawson all played 50 or more games last season. With 4 of those also having been on international duty and 3 of them with only a short break after the Euros.

We need to be in a position where those players can be rested in certain games with adequate players coming in.

Antonio scored 13 last season but I think he would score the same with more rest and having played only 30 games (not 50). Having a suitable replacement for those remaining 20 games could make all the difference.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Is Cresswell off, surely Luke Thomas won’t be our left back signing?

Edit: That sounds harsh, I mean cause he’s only 20.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 pm Bowen's got 18 goals - what are you expecting and how much do you want spend for how many extra goals?
That's the most goals for a season since Hartson (24) in 97-98 by the way
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 pm Not bad but that’s still a side without a Centre forward in it.
Those two non centre-forwards had 52 goals and assists between them this season. You would struggle to beat that output no matter who you bought or how much you spent. I'd be perfectly happy with that... the issue we'd have is no cover and that's the reason we need another forward.

And I think I'd like to see Bowen free of the restraints of covering the full-back in a purely attacking role. Antonio and Bowen together would cause havoc.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Maybe harsh but I think there was signs Antonio is on the decline. What is he next season 33?, maybe loses a yard of pace and fair dos injury wise he done ok last season, I wouldn’t wanna chance that again though. Like to see Broja come in personally if at all possible.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Why wouid you spend 70million plus on jwp his not worth that
No way ?
Fella I work with see Connor gallagher at dorking on saturday ( his brother plays for dorking ) and he overheard him say that he will stay at Chelsea and fight for his place in sqaud next season
So looks like we can cross him off the list ( if he was ever on it ) :newthumb: hope his wrong :grin:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Lovejoy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 pm Maybe harsh but I think there was signs Antonio is on the decline. What is he next season 33?, maybe loses a yard of pace and fair dos injury wise he done ok last season, I wouldn’t wanna chance that again though. Like to see Broja come in personally if at all possible.
I think there are clear signs that his explosive pace is not what it once was.
ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1584 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

If there's interest in us signing Bissouma or JWP, it'll depend on how Moyes wants us to line up. I'd personally prefer Bissouma to allow us to play a Liverpool-esque 433.

CM – any 3: Rice, Soucek, Bissouma, Fornals, Lanzini, Brownhill
FW - any 3: Antonio, Bowen, Lingard, Benrahma, Lewis-Potter, Fornals, Castellanos

Italics for players we'd need to sign – Brownhill could be Coventry if we're happy with the others.
I'd play Rice, Bissouma + Fornals with Bowen, Lingard and either Antonio/Lewis-Potter in a fluid front three. Centre mids can move in between and add in as 4th attacker.

If we get Lingard (free), Bissouma (£30m), Lewis-Potter (£18m), Castellanos (£12m), Brownhill (£10m), and pair with Aguerd (£20m), Areola (£10m) and Bassey (£15m) we've got 8 players who actually help the team, add some home-grown status, improve the first team and challenge existing first-team players for a total sum of £115m.

That's my Football Manager wishlist.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:30 pm That's my Football Manager wishlist.
Fornals would be the only one in that midfield remotely creative. I like the formation but I'm wary of it being too overly defensive. Liverpools midfield are a little better at the attacking side of the game whilst still remaining industrious. Replace any one of Brownhill, Soucek, Rice, Bissouma with a more box-to-box type like Gallagher.