The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Romfordboy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:47 pm Broja has signed a new contract.

"Sign a new contract and we won't stand in your way if you still want to leave. We just get more for you."
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

upton o'good wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:51 pm I sometimes think that too - lets see how they go. But of course the club don't get that chance do they. Soi the fair thing is to assess the window when it finishes. And I would have to say a very good window.
Hopefully the club would know more about these players than we would, despite our boastfulness on here.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

carnage wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:46 pm A 10/10 window would have more than 1 signing out of 8 starting 5 games in to the season for a start. And if our current business was concluded by early July it would have been an 8.

And yes Paqueta is with that increase of 5 points. It’s a statement signing.
Paqueta wasn't available in early July. Newcastle were quoted £80 million. We only signed him because we waited.

Scamacca and Kehrer have both started, Aguerd would be starting but for injury.

On average 2 new starters are featuring in each game across the league if you omit the outliers of Leeds and Forest.
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

Arch Dandy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:04 pm I think we have signed a good group of quality footballers but I do have some doubts of how the 2 biggest signings fit into the team if we continue to play the way we have done under Moyes.

Hopefully there's an evolution of style and all the players are quick to adapt but I think this season is going to be up and down.
I do agree with you view what has made us successful this past two seasons doesn’t seem to fit in with their skill set as we found with Haller. So yes let’s see what happens now.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

I just wonder if Kretinsky is playing a blinder. Eddie Howe revealed other teams were trying to take advantage of Newcastle’s riches this summer. What if we’re going about our business under the radar almost? Signing players that if Kretinsky had bought the club and publicly stated he had ambition like the saudis we’d be quoted silly figures.

Instead we’ve managed to assemble a brilliant squad with signings much better than the richest club in the world.

Just a hunch
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:52 pm Broja: "Sign a new contract and we won't stand in your way if you still want to leave. We just get more for you."
Genuinely hope a few kids/parents/agents are paying attention to Chelsea’s appalling treatment of youth football… then again, probably not.
Bubbles Fortuna

simonirons wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:37 pm Genuinely hope a few kids/parents/agents are paying attention to Chelsea’s appalling treatment of youth football… then again, probably not.
Maitland-Niles signing a new Arsenal deal then immediately going on loan with an option to buy is baffling.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

simonirons wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:37 pm Genuinely hope a few kids/parents/agents are paying attention to Chelsea’s appalling treatment of youth football… then again, probably not.

Yeah...they probably don't want all the money they get at Chelsea
unmartillo
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by unmartillo »

Sorry if it's been asked before. Is this a new record for thread length?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

There's nothing longer than this in Hall of Fame, so I think we can safely say yes.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 pm I think he means this window is the equivalent of signing those all at the same time.
Thank you: exactly what I meant/said.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

It's been a very good window for me.
Areola is a very good keeper, we know that.
Arguerd if he recovers fully from his injury looks good (from YouTube)
I've been very impressed so far with Kehrer so far.
Emerson is a definite upgrade on Arthur and long term has to be better than Cresswell.
Hopefully Downes goes well, but we also have Fornals who can move centrally.
Cornet looks decent and can play either side, so that's Bowen and Benramha covered.
Paqueta looks like an excellent player, lots of skill and tricks and not afraid to get stuck in.
Scamacca will surely be the starter before long with Antonio an impact sub.

But hey, I'm an optimist :coolas:
Bubbles Fortuna

Interesting how Southampton and Chelsea in particular are perceived so differently in different reports.

Read one earlier that had our window second only to Southampton yet they're close to the bottom here.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

-DL- wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:01 pm There's nothing longer than this in Hall of Fame, so I think we can safely say yes.
does that include the thousands of deleted off-topic posts in this thread? :crossed:
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

carnage wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:22 pm 6/10, which is what I said I’d rank it if Paqueta signed, 1 out of 10 if he didn’t.
Pffft, just being controversial for the sake of it. :crossed:

As I asked Pinky earlier, what would have led to you giving a higher score?

Signing 'impossible' players who all wanted to go to Liverpool, Man City, Juventus etc?

Spending another £100m and potentially smashing the transfer window record set by Chelsea and Real Madrid?

Magically signing 8 top quality targets within the first 2 weeks of the window, irrespective of whether they were available or not, or appreciating the fact that football transfers are incredibly complex transactions involving many people?

Bringing in other targets by desecrating our wage structure, and potentially opening us up to FFP fallouts in the future?

It remains to be seen how successful these players are, but in principle, I don't see how anyone can say this is anything less than a good or promising window. Let alone scoring it 1/10 if we hadn't signed Paqueta. Nice bit of weekend fishing :wink:
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Wow, I can’t believe some people are disappointed. Just goes to show that the owners, whoever they are, are never going to please everyone. I always thought I’d love to own West Ham and run it properly but I don’t even think a trillionaire who’s a genuine West Ham fan would keep everyone happy.

Incredibly window for me.

We’ve got two decent players in each position now, and after the next two windows (once we’ve replaced Fab, Cress etc) we’ll be in a position where we just need to sign 2/3 quality players each season. And after almost being relegated two years ago, the squad we have now is nothing short of a ****ing miracle. We’re West Ham. We’ve qualified for Europe twice. Big ****ing whoop. We need to keep our feet on the ground and not get all spursy.

The big thing for me is that our squad now puts us firmly in the position to be top 7/8 for the next few years and what with the Europa conference league opening up consistent European football - the sky 6 will eventually turn into the sky 7 - and we’re now in a great position to try and shore up 7th and the sponsorship investment that would come with being a regular in Europe.

We’ve taken some big baby steps this year and I’m looking forward for it continuing. Everyone is so impatient these days, but Rome wasn’t built in a day, and West Ham becoming a mainstay on the top 6 wasn’t going to happen overnight either.

Anyway, I’m just excited for FM23 - reckon I could make top 4 without a single signing :scarfer:
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Also, I keep seeing people mention “these are players we could have signed before”

But before what exactly? I assume people mean before the stadium move. The owners have really done a number on us by raising expectations and saying world class team etc. which is twisting peoples perspective and the reality of the situation - which is - we we’re almost relegated two years ago and now we have a first team full of internationally experienced players. That is a massive jump from where we were.

It’s not quite world class, but no-one is surely still believing that bull****, are they?

I think it’s going to take them leaving for expectations to be reset. March 2023 can’t come quick enough.

“Expectation is the root of all heartache”
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

You shouldn’t be blinded to money alone when assessing the appearance of success of a recruitment drive.

The three biggest objectives before we started were probably to

1. Add a second (and, ideally, third) striker behind Antonio

2. Find a starting left back

3. Help out the flogging of Rice and Soucek (or, as will have to happen sooner or later, cover for an extended injury absence for one or both).

The first point was addressed most comprehensively. Can’t quibble about the quality of the choice there. The only minor issue someone might bring up is it’s still only two strikers for a club that plays 60 games. I don’t think I share that worry too much - Bowen or Cornet should be able to handle it if necessary. Will give that objective an 9/10.

The second point at this stage looks very suspect in terms of being completed - Cresswell looks at least 50/50 to be first choice, and there is a familiar whiff of “making do” in the fullback areas in the choice of Emerson. But it still represents an uptick from the previous status quo of Masuaku, the minimum basic requirement this summer. So: 5/10 for that objective.

The third point is an interesting one to tackle at this juncture. Clearly we never secured a straight third rotation option, the kind Onana represented. In terms of the back-ups, Kral gets marked down because we now know he never played, but on paper at this point last season Kral and Noble was a far superior pair of options to Coventry and Downes, Kral being a player with regular and recent international and European experience. But it’s too early to say how Downes will be used. Seems an equal chance of playing the larger set of minutes Noble did as the Spartan set Kral did. The additional wrinkle in getting to grips with this one is the bleeding in of players nominally from other positions - are Kehrer and Paqueta going to be able to hold the fort? Obviously they can play in midfield, but can they replace the marathon running, heading, tackling thing of Rice and Soucek over a run of games if needed? Probably ok if it’s one + one of Ricek at any given time. So in a strictly literal sense, we struggled with this one, but there are ways of getting around it. 5/10
Bubbles Fortuna

Former Hammer Anthony Scully made a deadline day move to Wigan after two impressive seasons for Lincoln.

Another academy boy forging out a decent career much like Potts, Moncur, Ruddock, Burke, Afolayan and Lee