The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

OFT
Has liked: 3235 likes
Total likes: 1851 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by OFT »

EvilC wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:30 pm Yeah, I mean, it is absolutely disgusting that someone could want to maximise their earnings in such a volatile and unpredictable field like professional football when his career could be done with a single injury.
To be fair, I could live with that argument if we were talking 100k or 150k per annum but it's difficult to justify, to me at least, when its a weekly salary if the game itself were of less importance than the earnings.
damo
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by damo »

Newcastle have signed Botman.
Sky ticker
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

OFT wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:39 pm To be fair, I could live with that argument if we were talking 100k or 150k per annum but it's difficult to justify, to me at least, when its a weekly salary if the game itself were of less importance than the earnings.
I have no idea how much he is getting paid but it isn’t £100 large a week.

He may have signed a contract which will secure him financially for life. And I find it hard to begrudge him for doing that.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1664 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

a wild guess, based only on information that I've read about NFL and NBA stars, is those sports figures earning massive wages insure themselves against a cereer ending injury.

now I'm also guessing that the premiums are pretty high, but they would get paid a pretty huge sum of money were that event happen.

of course there ARE caveats, things like, riding a motorbike without a helmet at 100 mph..

well you'd have to be a helmet to do that but that type of thing.

a good time back, I'm pretty sure it was a Chicago Bulls player but I could be wrong, was riding a jetski I think it was, in violationo of his club's contract and broke both legs or something along those lines. the club ended up paying his salary for the year he was out although they didn't have to.

other readings I'm pretty sure that a player was able to insure his legs against a career ending injury.

so I'm pretty sure that there would be something along those lines. I can't believe the player earning 400K a week wouldn't make sure somewhere along the line that getting hurt would stop him from earning 20 or 30M over the lifetime of his contract.

could be well wide of the mark, and as I say purely a wild guess, but I'm sure there must be something like this. either that or maybe the club has to pay a premium for the player to cover the cost. maybe they even have something in their own contracts with the club that covers them in the even they get injured during a "work related" event.
OFT

Post by OFT »

EvilC wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:47 pm I have no idea how much he is getting paid but it isn’t £100 large a week.

He may have signed a contract which will secure him financially for life. And I find it hard to begrudge him for doing that.
I understand that but my, perhaps clumsy point, was that whatever he's getting paid in the general vicinity of top players wages ought to set him up for life, in fact, I might argue, he already should be, therefore , how and where he plays should be of the greatest importance.

I suppose it's difficult to get into the mindset of lads who earn that kind of money , and I accept, it ain't their fault its on offer.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:36 pm A bit of class that message from Alex Kral
Given the way last season season was a total disaster for him, good to see that level of professionalism
Disaster? He could have spent the last few months in Russia!
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

I understand the need to keep a wage structure but I also don't want us to miss out on players because the club won't pay the going rate.

£10m would've been a fair price for Lingard 12 months ago. It isn't unreasonable to expect zero transfer fee = higher weekly wage.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Cuenca,

You are right. You can insure against just about anything and both the club and the individual are likely to take out insurance against either long term or permanent injury.

There are the sort of caveats you mention and one of the most contentious issues is usually a pre-existing injury. These are often excluded or the premium sky rockets. It is why sometimes the medicals can hold up or screw up a deal. If they show a pre-existing knee condition for example ( which the player was unaware of (eg a degenerative condition that has not yet seriously effected the player but might during the proposed contract)then it can take time to get insurers to cover it, they will want their own medical advice etc.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

OFT wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:57 pm I understand that but my, perhaps clumsy point, was that whatever he's getting paid in the general vicinity of top players wages ought to set him up for life, in fact, I might argue, he already should be, therefore , how and where he plays should be of the greatest importance.

I suppose it's difficult to get into the mindset of lads who earn that kind of money , and I accept, it ain't their fault its on offer.
Perhaps it is? The training facilities at Tottenham are meant to be fantastic.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1084 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

jastons wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:01 pm I understand the need to keep a wage structure but I also don't want us to miss out on players because the club won't pay the going rate.

£10m would've been a fair price for Lingard 12 months ago. It isn't unreasonable to expect zero transfer fee = higher weekly wage.
Its also not unreasonable for the club to have a specific offer based on what a players value to the club is and not just pay a player what they want.

If the club and Lingard can't agree on that value than no hard feelings and move on. I suspect its all rubbish right now though.
MrR3NO
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MrR3NO »

I just love how so many people here want to go on and on about how the Lingard deal is killing us and he isn’t worth it. Yet, against all odds he was the best attacker we’ve had since Payet through the middle of the park and on the counter. Somehow that isn’t even enough for people, so we should say here’s an absurd deadline to decide so we can sign some other unproven player who hasn’t done it in the Prem or even with our exact same core group of players.

Truth is, he’s the MOST proven player for exactly what we need.
OFT

Post by OFT »

EvilC wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm Perhaps it is? The training facilities at Tottenham are meant to be fantastic.
Ooops, wires crossed, thought we were talking Lingard :oops:

I've not had a nap today :grin:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9648 likes

Post by S-H »

OFT wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:15 pm Ooops, wires crossed, thought we were talking Lingard :oops:

I've not had a nap today :grin:
Brilliant!

Love you OFT

:D
Robin Banks
Has liked: 265 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by Robin Banks »

A few pages back someone said we were playing everton when Lingards watch allegedly got nicked...Perhaps Lingard is having a medical at Everton in the hope that he can get it back?

If he signs for us, great. If not, no worries, it feels like it's an opportunity missed by both parties to seal a deal straight after his loan. Would always be a risk this long after his purple patch anyway. Everton keeps him close enough to his home, and my worries of him scoring a winning goal to put his team above ours are lessened (NOT saying it won't happen, don't want to jinx it!), funny that they haven't been any good since moyes was there though have they?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1664 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 pm Cuenca,

You are right. You can insure against just about anything and both the club and the individual are likely to take out insurance against either long term or permanent injury.

There are the sort of caveats you mention and one of the most contentious issues is usually a pre-existing injury. These are often excluded or the premium sky rockets. It is why sometimes the medicals can hold up or screw up a deal. If they show a pre-existing knee condition for example ( which the player was unaware of (eg a degenerative condition that has not yet seriously effected the player but might during the proposed contract)then it can take time to get insurers to cover it, they will want their own medical advice etc.
glad I wasn't imagining things...although that's always a big possibility these days...

:crylol:

figured that there had to be SOMETHING.. I remember that the Zouma transfer was held up a little bit due to the club investigating a previous injury and thought that it must have something to do with insurance purposes.

I know in the NFL and NBA that some contracts are guaranteed, I am pretty sure that the NFL is, and maybe basketball. I do know that baseball isn't, now all or part of the contract may be guaranteed and maybe the payout length would be longer that the actual contract exists for, but I have to believe that either the club and/or player makes sure that they get at least a majority or all of their contract paid out by someone, either the club or insurance company.

there's way too much money involved to believe that a player gets nowt if they're hurt while on "active duty" for example.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If we want to progress and move forward as a club and earn more respect from players over transfers, then we must change our ethos.We still act like a gentleman's club. This is a ****ing ruthless business, other clubs know it and behave like it. We don't and as consequence, we lose out on players. I could name you loads of players we could've signed, probably should've signed, but through poncing around, we have lost out. How come, ****ing Brentford get Lewis-Potter done inside 48 hours, but we spend almost a year, ****ing dithering around. Ever since the window opened, the talk has been about Ward-Prowse and Broja too, but still no concrete moves have been made, whilst Moyes ponces around, hanging his hat on Lingard, which now looks doomed. The whole club needs to wise up and shake up and if we are to believe we are a big club, then we need to start acting like one and be as ruthless as tge others and what other top 6 club has just one ****ing scout? This is the sort of thing I'm talking about
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2407 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Ravel Morrison’s left Derby on a free….
weymouth hammer
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by weymouth hammer »

Much the same as Carvio ( spelling ) at Fulham, we were allegedly interested in him eighteen months ago, five million, a snip , better than the kiddie at Hull, but no, too bloody slow as always. Signed for Liverpool.
Robin Banks
Has liked: 265 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by Robin Banks »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:23 pm How come, ****ing Brentford get Lewis-Potter done inside 48 hours, but we spend almost a year, ****ing dithering around.
I imagine Brentford is quite appealing to players in the championship, nice shiny new stadium (I've only walked around the outside but it is impressive) location is right on the river, west London near some 'classy' areas. Lots of nice new developments, roof top apartments with nice views. my cousin who lives there says it's pretty sh*te anywhere west of the Mcdonalds :lol: but over the next few years will be more or less completely redeveloped. Plus it's a club where they would feel like they can become a fan favourite, see Benny and Toney as examples. Which they can probably see themselves achieving much quicker than coming to a club as massive as us
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Robin Banks wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:37 pm I imagine Brentford is quite appealing to players in the championship, nice shiny new stadium (I've only walked around the outside but it is impressive) location is right on the river, west London near some 'classy' areas. Lots of nice new developments, roof top apartments with nice views. my cousin who lives there says it's pretty sh*te anywhere west of the Mcdonalds :lol: but over the next few years will be more or less completely redeveloped. Plus it's a club where they would feel like they can become a fan favourite, see Benny and Toney as examples. Which they can probably see themselves achieving much quicker than coming to a club as massive as us

Whatever you might think of our stadium, we still play in front of 60,000 fans every other week. No, it is more likely we ****ed Hull about over Bowen and now another club has been added to the ever growing list of clubs who refuse to deal with us and probably that now includes Villareal too