The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by only1post »

We have 18 games before the World Cup and Johnson injured.

Coufal could get suspended/injured/ need a rest.

If Moyes has a reason for not using Ashby, I would like to know.

Don't care if he is off in the summer. It weakens us.

You say you are hopeful he signs a new contract.
Surely including him makes this more likely.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

only1post wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:37 pm We have 18 games before the World Cup and Johnson injured.

But if he has made it clear he has no intention of staying then no matter how much he plays he won't sign a new deal, and if that is what has happened then playing him is pointless. We'd be better off playing Kehrer at right back or a different youth player.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

If Ashby refused a contract then he should only play if he’s the best possible available option. If Coufal is out and Kehrer is needed at CB for example. No point punishing him by punishing ourselves

You have to wonder why Moyes or whoever can’t convince these guys to stay though. We’re unlikely to ever win anything so having youth break through into the first team is one of the best things to happen supporting this club, to me anyway
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

This Ashby situation is just Jeremy Ngakia

People desperate for a youth player to work out

How many have left (in this way) and gone onto premier League? About 3?
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If, IF Ashby wanted to leave and Moyes is refusing to have him in the squad, why did we not just sell him before the window closed and brought in another fullback? Even if it’s just on a loan deal.

It’s quite frankly absurd the position we’ve put ourself in when we knew about Johnson’s injury too.

I say ‘if’ as Ashby may just simply be injured. But I am personally not buying it.
Bubbles Fortuna

funky chicken wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:55 pm If, IF Ashby wanted to leave and Moyes is refusing to have him in the squad, why did we not just sell him before the window closed and brought in another fullback? Even if it’s just on a loan deal.

It’s quite frankly absurd the position we’ve put ourself in when we knew about Johnson’s injury too.

I say ‘if’ as Ashby may just simply be injured. But I am personally not buying it.
We tried signing another full back, but having spent so much we were relying on selling Dawson and loaning a CB in first.
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:22 pm We tried signing another full back, but having spent so much we were relying on selling Dawson and loaning a CB in first.
Hence why I said we could’ve loaned one in too. :newthumb:
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:55 pm If, IF Ashby wanted to leave and Moyes is refusing to have him in the squad, why did we not just sell him before the window closed and brought in another fullback? Even if it’s just on a loan deal.

These don't seem the actions of a player waiting to leave

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:41 pm But if he has made it clear he has no intention of staying then no matter how much he plays he won't sign a new deal, and if that is what has happened then playing him is pointless. .........................
Isn't Rice in the same situation?
funky chicken

Post by funky chicken »

El brooko79 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:45 pm These don't seem the actions of a player waiting to leave

To be fair, it’s not exactly a difficult thing to do to post a picture playing for your team, to look the good guy is it?

I’m not saying it is a fact that he does want to leave. Hence the use of the word ‘if’. But from a personal perspective I do think something is going on behind the scenes. What that is, time will tell.
Last edited by -DL- on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tweet deleted
Bubbles Fortuna

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:15 pm Isn't Rice in the same situation?
Rice doesn't leave for free in July and is our best player not third choice right back.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Colours never run wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:11 pm 1/10? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, it’s a 6/10
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Ross Barkley has signed for Nice.

And Diego Costa is on a week’s trial at Wolves cos apparently they bought a new striker who’s done his acl.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:47 am Finishing 6th and 7th in successive seasons.

We have reached the next level that people used to talk about. It's about staying there as a minimum, and pushing on to another level. :newthumb:
Ah. So the that right there might be the issue then. We definitely haven’t reached “the next level” by finishing 6th and 7th in consecutive seasons :lol:
Bubbles Fortuna

Romford_Iron wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:47 pm Ah. So the that right there might be the issue then. We definitely haven’t reached “the next level” by finishing 6th and 7th in consecutive seasons :lol:
How is consecutive European Campaigns not 'next level' compared to where we were?

We've literally never qualified for Europe on consecutive seasons through the league. Ever.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

only1post wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:37 pm We have 18 games before the World Cup and Johnson injured.

If Ashby is the best available player for a given role in the side, Moyes will play him. Assuming Kehrer isn’t needed at CB (as we have at least 2 other fit, senior CBs), and everyone else is fit, I suspect Ashby is currently 4th in line for RB.
yakandyeti
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

He's part of our squad and if he's the best available option and isn't being a total knob then we may as well play him as it improves our team/protects our better players in games we expect to win etc. If he improves enough to take a first team place more often he is more likely to sign and if he goes we get a better tribunal fee.
Romford_Iron

Post by Romford_Iron »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:49 pm How is consecutive European Campaigns not 'next level' compared to where we were?

We've literally never qualified for Europe on consecutive seasons through the league. Ever.
Oh yeah, it’s certainly next level for us. But in the eyes of the rest of the footballing world, it’s just two good seasons.

Like if we’re trying to sign next level players with international experience, they all want European football on a consistent basis. They ain’t going to know the ins and outs of West Ham, plus they’ll have no affinity to us, so they’ll just look at us and see a team that over the past 10 years has been in more relegation battles than we’ve been in Europe. That isn’t the level of European consistency that appeals to the calibre of players we’re talking about. We’d need to qualify for Europe on a way more consistent basis for us to truly transition to the next level in the eyes of the rest of the footballing world.

It just sounds very spursy to say we should be singing top level players after qualifying for Europe twice. Like Leicester have won the league, won the FA cup, and been in Europe way more than we have over the past 10 years. And I personally still don’t view them has having cracked the next level that these next level players would be attached too. So why would other people view us as having cracked it?

Edit: FWIW - I think this summers signings are next level. Compared to the players we signed under Bilic & Pellergrini, I’d say our squad is so much stronger. Plus we had to sign 8+ players, there’s no way are we spending £40/£50m that would be needed for each 8 to be next level players. That’s like a £400m spend. Even city aren’t throwing that amount of cash about. Our success over the last two seasons has enabled us to have a budget that has allowed us to sign a lot of good players this summer. We now have 2 decent players in each position. That is next level for where we were. But we needed to get to this position first in order to spend big on the 2/3 next level kinda players that we’re talking about each season. Good thing is if we have another good season this year, we’ll be in a much stronger position next summer to make more of the kind of singing people seem to have been expecting this summer.
Last edited by Romford_Iron on Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

"Next level" is how the Dildo Bros described it as Champions League Football, which is probably what people think of when saying that.
Romford_Iron

Post by Romford_Iron »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:55 pm "Next level" is how the Dildo Bros described it as Champions League Football, which is probably what people think of when saying that.
Yeah I totally agree, and that was my original point as well. The board have created all these expectations and because of how **** the new stadium is, I think it’s skewing perceptions a tad. Like making us want it a bit more, a bit faster. We want that next level so bad because it’s the reason we gave up our home and it’s the only thing that’s going to make move to the LS bearable.