The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by SullySpecial »

I don’t think Scamacca would have rocked up here if he thought he was going to be 2nd choice striker behind Antonio.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

My only problem with the transfer window is we never got a back up for souchek and rice especially rice as souchek will have a rest in November December while the world Cup is going on. The other one was not getting a left back to replace cresswell. I think we had about 26 to 30 million for a left back but with aguard injured we at to change our stance on a left back so we split the money with Emerson and kehrer. But other than that very happy with the dealings we have done kehrer looks really good.we can get help for rice in January.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Romford_Iron wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:09 am Also, I keep seeing people mention “these are players we could have signed before”

But before what exactly?
Finishing 6th and 7th in successive seasons.

We have reached the next level that people used to talk about. It's about staying there as a minimum, and pushing on to another level. :newthumb:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'll tentatively say it was a very good window but we'll see from here how they all settle. I remember many thinking Vlasic was a top signing and people getting excited about Tore - things like that scar you. I am quietly confident though. I am a little surprised that we didn't bring in a more dynamic right wingback for times we play 3 at the back - although to be fair it does look as though we were attempting that on deadline day.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Aceface wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:15 am You shouldn’t be blinded to money alone when assessing the appearance of success of a recruitment drive.
5/10
Agree with all that Ace. Comes out at 6 and a third/10

🙂
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:57 am Agree with all that Ace. Comes out at 6 and a third/10

🙂
Based purely on those objectives... but surely there's bonus points to be had for replacing Vlasic and Yarmolenko with Paqueta and Cornet, or replacing Diop with Aguerd and Kehrer?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

VeniceHammer wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:43 am
zagadou could be mildly interesting as extra cover for CB/LB
Known as PushPineapple in the dressing room
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think we'll revisit the left-back situation next season (and probably right-back too although a suspect that may happen in January and we'll go back in for Aina)

I suspect that Moyes wanted a like for like replacement for Cresswell - a left-back that could get forward and supply lot's of quality crosses aswell as taking quality set-pieces. Moyes is probably more than aware that, statistically, Cresswell contributes a lot going forward and he didn't want to lose that whilst replacing him. The ones he wanted though were either out of our price range or wanted Champions League football. Instead we opted for replacing Masuaku. I also think that, by the time it came to bringing Emerson in, Moyes knew exactly how much of the budget we had left and wanted to commit the majority of it on a high quality midfielder. At this point, the likes of Sosa were unaffordable. If you look at all the midfielders we were linked with, I think that was always going to be the case. Whether it was Ward Prowse, Onana, Phillips, or Paqueta - the midfielder was always going to be our big money signing.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

A left-back target that was mentioned on this thread many times, Charlie Taylor, has interestingly played all 9 games so far this season in central defence.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

SullySpecial wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:45 am I don’t think Scamacca would have rocked up here if he thought he was going to be 2nd choice striker behind Antonio.
He won’t be for long as long as Moyes actually drops players when they lose form. Antonio played well last time out and deserves to start for now, but we know his form dips, and when it does Moyes must play Scamacca. If he does the business he should keep his place.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

An outstanding window.

Not one but two new CBs, one of which I actually think could go on to be our starting RB (Kehrer).

Downes looks a far better back-up option than Kral, with 150+ appearances aged 23, and, not that it should matter, but also a lifelong Hammer.

Paqueta, a truly world-class player.

Scamacca who is already showing his class, and will displace Antonio (who I hope gets some good minutes in Europe, off the bench and on the wing / up front with Scamacca!)

Cornet, Burnley's best player last season, whose direct play reminds me of Antonio back when he was on the wing.

Emerson, a huge upgrade on Masuaku.

And securing Areola.

Average age of the signings, excluding the GK as they're a different breed, is 25. Building for the future.

As fans we will always want more, but we were the third-biggest spenders in the PL. And there's no question that these players are Moyes' choices.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:06 am Based purely on those objectives... but surely there's bonus points to be had for replacing Vlasic and Yarmolenko with Paqueta and Cornet, or replacing Diop with Aguerd and Kehrer?
Yep, there is.

Honestly, as negative as it sounds I didn’t think we’d done all that well until Paqueta showed up. Partly because the main shortcomings from last season mentioned above weren’t fully sorted, partly because we had so little effective guile in the middle (though we had plenty of largely ineffective players of that type) which would have rendered incomings like Cornet and Scamacca less useful than they could be. And partly because I think spending that type of budget there’s an obligation to bring in one or two properly elite players. Scamacca sort of, maybe, probably had us there with one, but Paqueta undoubtedly is. As others have mentioned before, he does knit the whole together in a way. So, yeah, 7, maybe 7.5 out of 10 overall.

I’ll also remain a Jan ‘22 truther until the end - nothing was worth waiting for that supersedes the decision to do nothing in the winter. Anyone who suggests ‘see, we got Paqueta [or other signing X] to join which proves it was right’, the rejoinder to that is if we’d won the Europa League he’d have wanted to join anyway, and probably a lot more of Moyes original targets (in this instance even just getting the extra point and getting into the Europa league again via the league - even if we went out in the comp itself to Frankfurt - would have helped)….and we’d have a trophy to boot. Unavoidably your perception of this window is coloured by your attitude to the last one, more than usual they’re intertwined.
Last edited by Aceface on Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:40 pm Maitland-Niles signing a new Arsenal deal then immediately going on loan with an option to buy is baffling.
He didn't sign a new contract, Arsenal activated a year extension that was in his contract didn't they?
RaddyKovac

Post by RaddyKovac »

Aceface wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:33 am I’ll also remain a Jan ‘22 truther until the end - nothing was worth waiting for that supersedes the decision to do nothing in the winter.
Totally agree.

If we had the money this Summer, we had something in Jan.

We only needed a couple of additions.

Belotti went for a bloody free!
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Aceface wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:15 am You shouldn’t be blinded to money alone when assessing the appearance of success of a recruitment drive.

The three biggest objectives before we started were probably to

1. Add a second (and, ideally, third) striker behind Antonio

2. Find a starting left back

3. Help out the flogging of Rice and Soucek (or, as will have to happen sooner or later, cover for an extended injury absence for one or both).

5/10
But there were lots of crucial objectives and surgery required this window, not just the 3 you've flagged.

You can easily argue that signing 1-2 new CBs was just as important as another striker. Oggy is 35 this year and returning from serious injury, Diop wasn't good enough and wanted to leave, Dawson is 32 and wants to leave, and Zouma is both injury prone and currently out of form. We ended up signing Moyes' no.1 CB target, who was one of the top 3 performing CBs in France last year. Plus a German international from PSG.

Another crucial objectivity was to flesh the squad out with higher quality players that Moyes actually trusts to use. To that end, we've brought in Cornet, Scamacca, Paqueta and Emerson. Downes, I give you, is an unknown quantity and remains to be seen whether he can be more trusted than Kral.

To score the window 5/10 is to ignore the fact that we've brought in one of Brazil's top midfielders for £50m when we've been struggling for goals and creativity. Some people have been raving this as the biggest signing in the club's history.

Sure, it's not been a perfect window. There are still areas of concern, especially at LB and at DCM, as you mention. But we do have much better cover now throughout the squad. And we do have cover in those positions still - Emerson, B Johnson and Kehrer can all play LB, and Downes (yes, unknown quantity), Paqueta, Kehrer, and maybe Coventry can play deep midfield roles.

Plus, also crucially, the new signings gives Moyes the genuine option of playing with 3 at the back, which I think has been an objective of his from the outset. He's even admitted he wants to change our style of play and mix things up. And we're well covered for that formation.

So, tell me, if we'd just addressed the 3 objectives you've flagged and nothing else, would you have scored the window higher than 5/10?
RaddyKovac

Post by RaddyKovac »

I'm concerned that Downes might be the next Hugill.

I don't know why.

I hope he's the next Bowen.

I guess it's just because I'd never heard of him.

He can't be any worse than Kral, though. And he's a :crestnew:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Moyes’ comments with regards to right back in his press conference yesterday was a bit concerning.

Sounds like Johnson’s injury is bad enough to rule him out for a little while yet. And it was noticeable that he didn’t really mention Ashby as an option. Does he not rate him? Has he washed his hands with him because of his contract? As if Ashby is fit he should arguably be at least on the bench, behind Coufal in the pecking order.

It’s certainly clear now why we were looking at right backs. If he doesn’t play much until January I can see us returning for Wan-Bissaka or Aina in January.
Last edited by funky chicken on Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Stevey, I think you probably wrote that post before seeing my other one above - pretty much addresses your questions, including the overall rating. :newthumb:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:36 am He didn't sign a new contract, Arsenal activated a year extension that was in his contract didn't they?
Ah, that makes more sense. That's not the headline they're going for, obviously to draw suckers like me in!
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:50 am
Sounds like Johnson’s injury is bad enough to rule him out for a little while yet. And it was noticeable that he didn’t really mention Ashby as an option. Does he not rate him? Has he washed his hands with him because of his contract? As if Ashby is fit he should arguably be at least on the bench, behind Coufal in the pecking order.
If Ashby is fit and not on the bench and Randolph is, I feel Moyes should be asked why.