The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:07 pm Cor what took Everton so long to wrap Tarkowski up? He was a free transfer. Surely they'd have known he wanted to join months ago, how disrespectful of him not to sign earlier, etc. Etc.
He did agree to join a while ago didn’t he? Only officially announced now.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:13 pm So have we fallen down the pecking order as a direct consequence of not strengthening in January and finishing a few places higher or is this just the natural order being re established?
Nunez, Phillips and Raphinha was all nonsense.

He wanted Aguerd and Lingard and wasnt going to bring in anyone else unless on his terms (He o ly wanted to loan Caleta-Car).
EastleighHammer16

He doesn’t mention us so guess we aren’t in for him.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

paulhs1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:16 pm Nunez, Phillips and Raphinha was all nonsense.

He wanted Aguerd and Lingard and wasnt going to bring in anyone else unless on his terms (He o ly wanted to loan Caleta-Car).
We must have known Phillips and Raphinha would be available - whether that was agents telling gsb or Newman and Moyes…
Last edited by Georgee Paris on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

That's Everton now with Pickford 30 mil, Keane 25 mil, Mina 27 mil, Godfrey 25 mil, Tarkowski big wages as a CB and goalkeeper uni
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Twitter single handedly ruined the transfer window.

It's fine if you take the hundreds of rumours with a pinch of salt, but when you hang off every word, believe every tweet, believe everything you read, it will inevitably lead to disappointment.

Twitter is a toxic platform, with so much bickering, so much desperation for a signing, any signing just so you can brag to faceless accounts of other football clubs.

This transfer thread has the slight stench of that platform now, the desperation to sign every name we are linked with, and the anger and disappointment when we don't, it's tiresome.

I get that the stance myself and others take is equally as annoying and tiresome, I do, and I apologise if I come across as rude, I just don't see the need to get stressed by rumours, surely it's better to just stand back and wait, rather than react to everything and everyone we are linked with, it can only lead to more disappointment.

I miss the days when the first you knew of a new signing was when the club announced it, these days it's more a sense of relief, because of the hourly/daily updates, it feels that these deals are dragging, when in reality they probably aren't.

It's hard enough knowing what we know about the owners, and their negotiation tactics etc, without adding to the stress of it all by thinking we've missed out on players when they sign for other clubs, when we may not have ever held and interest.

Apologies for going off topic.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:13 pm So have we fallen down the pecking order as a direct consequence of not strengthening in January and finishing a few places higher or is this just the natural order being re established?
I think it is a positive sign I.e. we are now seriously chasing the same players as the "big six", but as PP's excellent post pointed out that puts us in direct competition with them and we lack the financial clout to compete if one of those clubs wants the player.

I don't see that changes whether we finish 4th or 7th.

The brilliant success on the pitch has just exposed (even more) the amateur hour off the pitch. Just over half the revenue of Spurs. That has got to be the biggest the gap has been other than our dips in the Championship.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:19 pm We must have known Phillips and Raphinha would be available - whether that was agents telling gsb or Newman and Moyes…
In my view we put in bids in the knowledge that they wouldnt get accepted. The reason why is yet unknown
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I don't think we've really fallen down the pecking order from January as I don't think we were ever truly capable of getting someone like Nunez. From what Moyes said, Diaz pretty much dropped any thought of us the moment Liverpool came. I don't think that would ever change.

But I suppose if we had very specifically won the Europa League as a result of strengthening in January, we would be more of an attractive proposition to a certain level of player than we are now.

I haven't really seen that player crop up though to where it has become a problem. Nunez/Phillips/Diaz/Raphinha/Malacia were always too high up regardless as the teams that want them are better than a West Ham even in the Champions League.

Players like KLP or Hickey I think we could have got if we really wanted to. We just seem to have higher targets.

I guess maybe the likes of Raum or even Lingard could be a litmus test as to whether we have fallen down the pecking order. Would Lingard already have signed if we were in the Champions League? We'll never know.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

S-H wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:20 pm Twitter single handedly ruined the transfer window.

It's fine if you take the hundreds of rumours with a pinch of salt, but when you hang off every word, believe every tweet, believe everything you read, it will inevitably lead to disappointment.
It's not all Twitter's fault.....some people are most likely seeing Spurs, Arsenal and others tie up deals (in Spurs case big deals) and ask why we are not. They then remember past windows and naturally put 2+2 together.

I dont blame anyone for showing some passion, in any case it wont affect what Moyes, Newman and and the clubs strategy.

I'm sure we will have what we need come 1st September and perhaps be pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by the pink palermo on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote truncated
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

MB wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:52 pm Tierney is broken
Hyperbole, m’lud!
loftyboy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by loftyboy »

I've just read Jeff Stelling's autobiography (charity shop purchase and not as good as I had hoped). He mentions having a long chat over a beer with Moyes in the latter's Everton days. Moyes was saying that he was keen to sign David Nugent but that his fellow coaches (Alan Irvine + someone) weren't confident that he could make the step up. They therefore didn't pursue their interest.
Assuming Moyes hasn't changed his modus operandi, it may be that our slow progress is due to a concensus approach with Moyes, Nolan, Nevin and now Warburton before making a big decision.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

paulhs1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:27 pm In my view we put in bids in the knowledge that they wouldnt get accepted. The reason why is yet unknown
Me gave them a shot whilst our stock was high and we knew other clubs would not be spending that it Jan (so less competition, )
Last edited by El brooko79 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I still think we should get Januzaj through the door.

He's a good player and he'll strengthen our negotiating stance with the likes of Lingard and Danjuma.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

S-H wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:20 pmI just don't see the need to get stressed by rumours, surely it's better to just stand back and wait
I don’t think people should be coming on to a football forum thread if it is genuinely making them feel stressed. There are plenty of other sites that only reveal transfers when they are virtually done (bbc). Also, there are heaps of other threads on kumb if you find this one stressful.

Isn’t the point of a site like this that the posters dictate the path a thread takes? As long as it’s not abusive and stays on topic I don’t get the problem. You and others might think it fine to sit back and wait for signings but others don’t. Im not sure I’m on board with the idea that people are being told how to think, feel and react about a subject. Freedom of speech and all that.

Isn’t this the most popular thread on KUMB BTW?? Some people must like it?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Mo Salah's got a new deal £400k a week. Not surprised he's all smiles and signed it
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm not telling anyone how to think, or feel.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

This is what I'd like to speculate:

There were 4 clubs reputedly interested to bid for Raum: Man U, Dortmund, Newcastle and us.

At the precise moment Man U got Malacia, Newman made a happy noise. One down. We can probably beat Newcastle to Raum and anyway they've just signed Matt Targett, so now only Dortmund is left and they've just signed a young left back from Ajax for their U-23.

And so we wait.

In the mean time, let's ready Pellegrini or Maehle just in case, then cross our fingers that they sign Ramy Bensabainni instead.

Such is our position in the pecking order.
Last edited by Ding on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastleighHammer16

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:36 pm I still think we should get Januzaj through the door.

He's a good player and he'll strengthen our negotiating stance with the likes of Lingard and Danjuma.
Think Napoli are in for him
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 500 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Keep calm and carry on!