The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1225 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Take It to the Limit »

1984 QPR at home wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:30 pm unlikely we will bid for watkins and if were going to sign lingaard he will need to make a bit of effort...moyes is tired of chasing
Old Time Kumber here after a long absence (and forgetting login details etc 😂) so be gentle.

Watkins, I know little about but I think Jesse would jump at the chance to come to WH. So many social media posts over the last year, his friendship with some of the players etc.. coupled with rumours I’ve heard up here in Manc land.. it’s a no brainer for me to do all we can to bring him here. Wages might be an issue but I don’t know what else he could’ve done under the circumstances, being employed by his boyhood club. He’s proven, he’s keen, he’ll get 10+ goals a season.

We hear so many rumours about players. But it’s not just about their ‘ability.’ It has as much to do with their attitude, their desire and willingness to work with Moyes and the rest of the squad. And bearing that in mind, we can discount half of these players we’re linked with and trust Moyes to sift out the wheat from the chaff (which will inevitably bring up the odd boo boo).

I’ve got a good feeling about next season. I even think Vlasic will prove to be a good squad player.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Exactly. Who can forget the effect Faustino Asprilla had on Newcastle!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ollie Watkins is so under rated going by what I've read on here. The boy's 'got it' as a natural finisher. Always scored consistently and done it wherever he's played at all levels, as well as Internationally. He's cut from the same cloth as Defoe, a natural goal scoring predator who doesn't waste countless chances. Supply him the ammo, then he'll do the rest. Just like he did scoring a perfect hat trick against the Mickeys.

Probably highly unlikely, but if we did manage to get him, it would solve 1 of our long term problems in our squad.
Watford Hammer
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Watford Hammer »

Agreed CNR but we missed our chance of getting Watkins when Villa snapped him up.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1527 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 pm Ollie Watkins is so under rated going by what I've read on here. The boy's 'got it' as a natural finisher. Always scored consistently and done it wherever he's played at all levels, as well as Internationally. He's cut from the same cloth as Defoe, a natural goal scoring predator who doesn't waste countless chances. Supply him the ammo, then he'll do the rest. Just like he did scoring a perfect hat trick against the Mickeys.

Probably highly unlikely, but if we did manage to get him, it would solve 1 of our long term problems in our squad.
Natural finisher? I’m sorry but he’s anything but a natural finisher. If he could finish he’d be one of the best strikers in the world.
WestSamToo
Has liked: 420 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

Take It Easy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:53 pm Old Time Kumber here after a long absence (and forgetting login details etc 😂) so be gentle.
Me too. I used to be WestSam, 800 posts since 2004 so not exactly prolific. My phone buggered about and stopped logging me in. Had to sign up again eventually. Welkumb back :newthumb:
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 pm Ollie Watkins is so under rated going by what I've read on here. The boy's 'got it' as a natural finisher. Always scored consistently and done it wherever he's played at all levels, as well as Internationally. He's cut from the same cloth as Defoe, a natural goal scoring predator who doesn't waste countless chances. Supply him the ammo, then he'll do the rest. Just like he did scoring a perfect hat trick against the Mickeys.

What are you watching?

Natural finisher like Defoe?
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

NWhammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:11 pm Natural finisher? I’m sorry but he’s anything but a natural finisher. If he could finish he’d be one of the best strikers in the world.
Correct. His movement and work rate is fantastic. His first touch and finishing are laughable at times.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Take It Easy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:53 pm Old Time Kumber here after a long absence (and forgetting login details etc ) so be gentle.
Welcome back - whoever you are :D
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:14 pm What are you watching?

Natural finisher like Defoe?
I'm watching Ollie Watkins produce it again and again up front and he always produces the goods. I see it in his play and his stats back it up. The boy can finish and is a constant threat inside the box.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4741 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Colours never run wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:27 pm I'm watching Ollie Watkins produce it again and again up front and he always produces the goods. I see it in his play and his stats back it up. The boy can finish and is a constant threat inside the box.
A 'natural' finisher notches more than 11 goals in 35 games.

He is as much a natural finisher as Antonio.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

Watkins finishing as good as Defoe's? Absolutely not.
Bubbles Fortuna

Watford Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 pm Agreed CNR but we missed our chance of getting Watkins when Villa snapped him up.
Ollie Watkins isn't special, he isn't Harry Kane, there are countless Ollie Watkins' out there, and they'll cost less than £50 million.
Bubbles Fortuna

Croydon wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:42 pm Watkins finishing as good as Defoe's? Absolutely not.
He had one very good goal scoring season for Brentford where here got 26, other than that he's very much only good for around 10-15 regardless of the league he's in.

He's a decent player, a natural predator, super finisher he is not.
Colours never run

I didn't say he was as good as him, cut from the same cloth, is what I actually said.

And I stand by the claim his finishing is quality and has done it on a consistent basis throughout his career up to the age of 26 now.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:27 pm I'm watching Ollie Watkins produce it again and again up front and he always produces the goods. I see it in his play and his stats back it up. The boy can finish and is a constant threat inside the box.
If Ollie Watkins is a natural finisher cut from the same cloth as Jermain Defoe, than Michail Antonio is Thierry Henry.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1600 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Watkins is definitely on par with Antonio when it comes to finishing. Neither are natural at it. They have other good attributes that make up for it thought.

Defoe is 10x the finisher those two are. Yet he lacks in other areas.

I think we want someone who can lead the line and finish, and another who is more creative and chip in goals too. Watkins matches neither of those types. Yes he'd score 8-12 goals but so does Antonio. We need an improvement not just as rotation.
Colours never run

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:42 pm A 'natural' finisher notches more than 11 goals in 35 games.
They do, he did it the season before scoring 14 in 37 games in his debut Premier League season for a newly promoted Club, off the back of his 1 in 2 for Brentford.
Bubbles Fortuna

Watkins is underperforming his xG of 12.

He also only managed 2 assists compared to Antonio's 8.

Antonio is number one in the league for tackles in the opposition's half, he's so much more than goals.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Watkins is a good player, but I’d say he’s pretty much exactly the opposite of Defoe. Watkins is a focal point in attack, who gets involved in the build up, runs the channels and makes a nuisance of himself, but isn’t particularly technical or natural, whereas Defoe is an out-and-out poacher, who stays in and around the penalty area and finishes for fun.