The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by GetUrWangOut »

D C wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:36 am I think we can forget about Phillips. He might have left Leeds for us if they we’re relegated but now that they’ve stayed up I only think he’d leave them for a truly top/‘big’ team. The current top 4 or maybe 6 only.

I genuinely think he’d be happier battling for 17th-10th for Leeds than he would be pushing for 6th with us.

We do need a superior passer like him in the middle to push on though, other than Ward-Prowse i’m not sure who fits the bill
I agree we need someone who can pass the ball better in the middle. Having thought about this a bit though, maybe a more central attacking mid.

Lanzini has made a decent fist of it this season but if we want to challenge top 6 I think we need someone a bit better. Could this be Fornals if we replace Cressy with a lb who needs less protection? Not sure but if we sign the lad from Hull between him and Benny left wing will be covered?

Bringing in Lingard gives us further options but someone who plays centrally and can pass the ball well would be high on my list if Moyes doesn’t feel Fornals is that man.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am The perception is that Leicester had a disastrous season and that we had a good one but we were only 4 points ahead of them in the end. And seven ahead of Newcastle. We were probably saved by the bell in securing 7th.
All about context again isn't it?

if you are up on the coat tails of the big boys for most of the season, getting a lot of media attention, being talked of as champions league qualifers, but then fall short - that feels good

if you are hovering around mid table, plodding along, nowhere near the top of the table, but pick up some points at the end to sneak up, then that just feels a bit pony

for me it isn't always about position, but how you got there and how close you were to the big boys party. This season we were right in the mix for 3/4s of it, and had opportunity to 'break the big 6' again until the last day

My main disappointment is the amount of points we ended up finishing behind Spurs and Arseanl (15 and 13), which is huge. Everton were just as close to us as we were to Spurs in the end!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:48 am Kamara is an interesting one.

I'd have thought a better team would have been interested, either he impresses and is sold in two years or he crashes and they're lumbered with big wages.

£150k a week, is he better than Rice or Soucek? I guess we'll find out!

Does this mean Douglas Luiz is available?
Rumours are they are likely to lose McGinn so probably not!!
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

We’d shipped 2 against the likes of Newcastle, Palace and Brentford before September had ended. Ogbonna’s injury wasn’t helpful but it would be self-defeating to believe we were watertight before then.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

liverpool have signed carvalho from fulham
kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:48 am Some people I know seem to think Lingard is happening...
so long as he isn't treated as our only new striker but treated as our new left sided attacker.
we need at least two actual strikers. We don't have one at all and yarmolenko can be replaced with one.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:09 am liverpool have signed carvalho from fulham
They did that in February didn’t they?
kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:06 am All about context again isn't it?

if you are up on the coat tails of the big boys for most of the season, getting a lot of media attention, being talked of as champions league qualifers, but then fall short - that feels good

if you are hovering around mid table, plodding along, nowhere near the top of the table, but pick up some points at the end to sneak up, then that just feels a bit pony

for me it isn't always about position, but how you got there and how close you were to the big boys party. This season we were right in the mix for 3/4s of it, and had opportunity to 'break the big 6' again until the last day

My main disappointment is the amount of points we ended up finishing behind Spurs and Arseanl (15 and 13), which is huge. Everton were just as close to us as we were to Spurs in the end!
Didn't leicester have a lot of injuries this season?
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am Fredericks is out of contract, so we're not going to be selling him and he won't be here next season.

I really think that, with the amount of players people are saying we 'need' in, there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks on here come September 1st.

Four signings that would give us a stronger squad in terms of depth due to their flexibility - they would all likely be starting regularly in one of those positions, pushing the players that currently sit in the first team to the bench.
Like the idea it’s very sound. My concern is that it would be almost inconceivable to imagine 4 players all being successful be it as first choices or even useful contributors from the bench. I fear only two of every four maybe three from five would likely achieve that especially at the level we operate. Better ratio than that would be a serious bonus and often it can fall below that. Last Summer we only brought in one player who warrants that’s description tbh and only already solid or better Prem players coming in are likely to consistently better that ratio and I doubt we would be able to afford more than a couple of those at best, though I hope beyond hope to be proved wrong and the board supports what’s needed beyond my expectations in players of that nature.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

MB wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:06 am Rumours are they are likely to lose McGinn so probably not!!
Where's he off to?
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Nathan Collins at Burley was also at Stoke the same time as a certain Billy McKinlay wasn’t he?
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Read through these pages to see that Fornals needs replacing and goes hiding. The boy can have bad games, but he never hides. If you're in a position where you want Fornals replacing, then the only player worth keeping is Rice. We have a player who goes missing if he's not on it, and he's adored universally.

Dennis is a good player, he would be an upgrade on what we have because our alternative striker is Yarmolenko. He'd be an upgrade on what we have as a winger/AM option because he'd be replacing Yarmolenko.

In the starting XI, we have 3/4 places to upgrade. Fabianski, Dawson, Cresswell, Lanzini. I think we'd be foolish to be doing any more than that, you can't expect to be replacing more than that in one swoop, wouldn't be good squad management.

Our first team, generally, is very good. It's the squad that isnt.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

If Lingard isn't done by mid June we NEED to move on. No excuses for his side now that he's a free agent.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

MB wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:04 am Agreed. Being able to set up ten yards further forward helps massively in midfield and attack. It wasn't just the defence that suffered once Ogbonna got injured.

Get the left side of defence sorted out and I do think the rest takes care of itself (to an extent).

Antonio is less isolated, Soucek and Rice can break up play further up the pitch, Benrahma gets the ball in their half rather than ours etc etc.

Setting up as deep as we have at times, while I understand it, exposes some of the weaknesses in our side.
Is there an echo in the room? :crylol:

I completely agree
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Aceface wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am The perception is that Leicester had a disastrous season and that we had a good one but we were only 4 points ahead of them in the end. And seven ahead of Newcastle. We were probably saved by the bell in securing 7th.
Leicester will not have another season like the one just gone, they’ll be back up there next year especially without Thursday games. It’ll be us, Villa, Leicester, Wolves, Brighton & Newcastle I think In our own mini league.
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

What we need are players that can give us an alternative when the likes of Antonio, Soucek and Fornals aren't performing - They all have valuable and large roles to play, but at the moment when a game is getting away from us there's no twist, it's just stick and hope it works out.
MB

Post by MB »

westlondonhammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:30 am Is there an echo in the room? :crylol:

I completely agree
Think us two and a few others have been banging that drum since this thread started :rofl:

Just not as sexy as talking about £50m strikers I guess...
MB

Post by MB »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:21 am Where's he off to?
Spurs was the rumour with Arsenal also sniffing around. Both could do with a central midfielder who progresses the ball.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

They had a late rally once they went out of the ECL. These games were against Norwich, Watford, a careless Chelsea side and a notoriously on the beach Southampton. They had little chance of finishing much higher, so in effect were playing no pressure football against poor teams or others who didn’t give a ****. They were still 4 pts and a much worse GD behind us. That’s plenty.

With European football to offer, I’m hoping we quickly go in for Lewis-Potter.
Last edited by il_martello_di_genovesi on Mon May 23, 2022 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Frees you could make a case for are (realtively realistic and enhance the 22) ;

Jesse
Tarkowski
Nketiah
Denayer
Toliso
Belotti