The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:53 am

If the papers are right that seems to be the type of players Moyes is focusing his attention on. Particularly for the forward and central midfield.

The trouble is a high majority of those players won’t come cheap.
The other priloblem is convincing them to come. They may not see west ham as a step up enough to leave their current clubs, especially if they are a long serving player or are attracting bigger clubs

We have to be careful we don't spend all summer going after players where there isn't much chance of signing them (and thus missing out on other players)
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Fri May 27, 2022 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:03 am I missed the Watkins/Defoe debate last night. Some numbers...

Watkins was 24 at the start of the 20/21 season. Since then he's scored 25 in 72 PL appearances.
Defoe was the same age at the start of the 06/07 season. Over the next 2 seasons he scored 22 in 72 PL appearances.

Over his career (ignored his spell at Bournemouth post 35 because it's a massive drop off) Defoe scored at a rate of 0.35 goals per game in the Premier League. That's almost exactly 13 goals per 38 game season. A very similar number to Ollie Watkins.

Either some of you are massively overrating how much of a natural goalscorer Jermaine Defoe was or severely underrating Ollie Watkins.

Watkins is far from perfect but I've just got a feeling he would suit this team down to the ground. Very expensive though.
Do those stats take into account Defoe's minutes on the pitch though? He made 496 appearances in the Premier League, but 149 of those were as a sub, and I would guess a huge proportion of those were at his peak when he was wasting away on Tottenham's bench. I can't really believe it's contentious to say he's a better finisher than Watkins for anyone who has watched both play.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 972 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:58 am It probably does matter what he costs though. What if it means that we have to continue playing Cresswell for example, or that we can't get the requisite quality needed at CM?
It shouldn’t mean that though, I mean your probably right but it shouldn’t be the case. I mean I took it with a pinch of salt but what about the 150m budget. I think we need to spend big on a forward compared to a CM & I expect to see Cresswell in the left back spot next season anyway.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Lovejoy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:08 am It shouldn’t mean that though, I mean your probably right but it shouldn’t be the case. I mean I took it with a pinch of salt but what about the 150m budget. I think we need to spend big on a forward compared to a CM & I expect to see Cresswell in the left back spot next season anyway.
If Cresswell is still our starting left back next season I will riot.

If we could only make one signing this summer it should be a left back.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

WCpete wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:02 am Seems a strange flex, but Yves Bissouma has put crossed hammers in his signature.

https://www.instagram.com/yves_bissouma/
If only.

What a signing that would be. Interesting note, Dec put Bissouma in the Top 5 players he has played against in the Prem.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

'Telegraph Online' reports, we are competing with Everton for Cornet
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:58 am It probably does matter what he costs though. What if it means that we have to continue playing Cresswell for example, or that we can't get the requisite quality needed at CM?
That's it for me. Is Watkins worth £50m? Probably once you take into account how low risk it is in terms of being proven and settled in the UK. There are potentially better options abroad for that kind of money, but you pay a premium for proven.

Watkins plus good enough players at LB, CB, CM, GK and CAM and I'm all good. If Watkins means skimping on one or more of those then no thanks.
The_Cheadley
Total likes: 1 like

Post by The_Cheadley »

Bissouma would be a great signing, and it would then be very interesting as that would allow Dec to play further forward as he clearly wants to do. Whether that's his best position is debatable, but if that's what he wants and keeps him here longer then let him do it I guess.

As an aside and slightly left field but bear with me - assuming a starting left back is also incoming, I wonder if Cresswell considering his age could start playing more centrally as a DM, at least as a backup? He's a decent passer, can tackle (reasonably well compared to midfielders), and must be classed as one of the senior leaders at the club so useful to keep him around. I was tempted to use Philipp Lahm as an example of a fullback moving to DM but maybe, just maybe Cresswell isn't in his class... :crylol:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

What happened with Bissouma and the sexual assault charge?
MB

Post by MB »

The_Cheadley wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:48 am Bissouma would be a great signing, and it would then be very interesting as that would allow Dec to play further forward as he clearly wants to do. Whether that's his best position is debatable, but if that's what he wants and keeps him here longer then let him do it I guess.
I don't get this line of thought. Rice is a world class holding player. If we sold him then we wouldn't be able to replace him like for like in that role.

As a more box to box? He is good, but for the money we'd get for him you could replace him relatively easy in that role (IMO).

If he wants to pretend to be the second coming of $tevie G then I'd be tempted to cash in...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It is funny how we all see things differently.
Personally I think Bissouma would do better than Rice at the primary job of protecting the back four.
Then you have Rice doing his stuff back to front.
Would love that.
Keep Soucek as well to add depth and a different option
MB

Post by MB »

EvilC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:54 am What happened with Bissouma and the sexual assault charge?
Has not been charged but remains "under investigation". I believe the person with him that night was charged.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

I’m telling you now Watkins will cause us to pull our hair out if we signed him.

He is one of the most frustrating finishers in the league. See his chance one on one vs Man City last week as an example
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:00 am I’m telling you now Watkins will cause us to pull our hair out if we signed him.

He is one of the most frustrating finishers in the league. See his chance one on one vs Man City last week as an example
Can’t be worse than Antonio smashing one into row Z after running 40 yards.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1093 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

He’s had crossed hammers in his bio for ages by all accounts.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:57 am It is funny how we all see things differently.
Personally I think Bissouma would do better than Rice at the primary job of protecting the back four.
Would love that.
Rice is Streets ahead of Bissouma at that role. He just so happens to be good at other things going forward too.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:57 am It is funny how we all see things differently.
Would love that.
Agreed in so much as Rice is far too good to be limited to holding (which he is excellent at). I’d love to see him be able to truly go box-to-box with the confidence not to worry that our defence will crumble if he does so.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:56 am Hickey would have been a great signing. Would be nice to see us get business done early for once. Still, Calvin Bassey is there to be had. It's imperative that Cresswell does not start for us next season.
I think Bassey is definitely the better player out of the two, and probably a similar price.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:10 am I think Bassey is definitely the better player out of the two, and probably a similar price.
Would fit us better as well I think. We could use a beast at LB. I’m bored of small players at that position.
MB

Post by MB »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:07 am Agreed in so much as Rice is far too good to be limited to holding (which he is excellent at). I’d love to see him be able to truly go box-to-box with the confidence not to worry that our defence will crumble if he does so.
I don't think anyone would suggest putting him in shackles like he is in the England set up, but a true box to box? He has the drive and dribbling ability, but would he contribute enough in the final third? I have serious doubts about that.