The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by hammer1975 »

I can see us selling a useful player at a price we think is fair for them based on our view and then find that it’s not 2010 anymore and be put off by the asking price for anyone remotely close or better in ability leaving us scrambling late in the window. Soucek and Benrahma I’m looking at you guys.

Really don’t get the James Ward Prowse thing personally. Quite happy with Rice, Soucek and Lingard with a decent combative rotation option for Rice/Soucek and Fornals to fight it out for one of those slots….with the majority of the money spent on the defence. Spending the majority of money on midfield seems the wrong priority to me. Links to left backs worryingly thin relative to other positions
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:34 pm Fornals would be the only one in that midfield remotely creative. I like the formation but I'm wary of it being too overly defensive. Liverpools midfield are a little better at the attacking side of the game whilst still remaining industrious. Replace any one of Brownhill, Soucek, Rice, Bissouma with a more box-to-box type like Gallagher.
Surprisingly, Brownhill was one of the top chance makers in the league outside the top six. Must be creative to some degree.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Bisoumma please if innocent and available. Very good all round midfielder and would improve the first team. If the quoted price of £30m is what it takes to get him we should be all over that.

Jlingz would also improve the squad and provide us with depth.

Zapata to share the workload with Iron Mike. If we could get another forward I would consider playing Antonio out wide on some occasions.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

IronZ-79 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:54 pm Bisoumma please if innocent
:lol: not sure why but that really made me laugh!
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

IronZ-79 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:54 pm Bisoumma please if innocent and available. Very good all round midfielder and would improve the first team. If the quoted price of £30m is what it takes to get him we should be all over that.

Jlingz would also improve the squad and provide us with depth.

Zapata to share the workload with Iron Mike. If we could get another forward I would consider playing Antonio out wide on some occasions.
Bissouma really is not a “very good all round midfielder”. He is a very good defensive midfielder but 3 goals and 2 assists in 112 appearances suggests he does not impact greatly the offensive side of the game.

Same goes for Phillips, 1 goal 3 assists in 49. We want to shoe horn them into effective box to box players when each is far better suited to being primarily a defensive midfielder who pushes forward, with varying degrees of success, when the opportunity arises.

Strangely I would say the same for Rice but he is just a class above. Given far more of a box to box role this year he managed a paltry 1 goal and slightly more acceptable 4 assists suggesting he can be more creative in the more advanced role but will never be a genuine consistent goal threat.

Pogba by contrast 29 goals, 38 assists in 157 or Gundogan 36 goals, 12 assists in the same number of games are far more genuine “all round” players. Ok those 2 are elite playing for top teams but RLC has 10 goals 8 assists in 132, a lot played for Fulham and Palace. Far more an “all around” player than Bissouma or Phillips.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

C&H seems to think Kalvin Phillips could be Villa bound, partly because he's apparently changing agents to Gerrard's agent. No idea if true or not but if Villa were to sign Phillips and Bassey, I'd be gobsmacked. They would surely have to be offering crazy, crazy wages to lure these players, or is it something else? And are supposedly very decent players chasing money above other factors?

Also, I'm very surprised that Ward-Prowse signed a 5 year contract at Southampton last season when he'll already be 28 this season. Has he got no desire to ever move, even to a club above us?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it was off-topic. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

bishbosh2 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:26 pm

Also Aguerd for all of his distribution abilities is painfully slow.
Where you get that from?????

Aguerd
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Mayday wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:17 pm I don't think Broja is all that to be honest. He had a couple of moments but he's nowhere near good enough to make much of a difference to us.
Pretty sure that was the general feeling about Nketiah in Jan when Moyes was interested, now it looks like that 20m would've been excellent business
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

If our business starts with Areola, Lingard and Aguerd, it would be hard to not be excited.

Still work to be done obviously, but the whispers seem to be heading in that direction. Great start if so.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

It looks like we are going to get our transfers started with some bargains. Areola for £10.5M, Aguerd for £15M, Castellanos for £12m (all the MLS journalists say it’s a done deal, and a steal at that) and Lingard on a “free”. I really think we should be looking at Ellyes Skhiri from FC Koln who may be available for as little as 10m as he is out of contract next year. He has lead all players in Europe in distance covered per 90, and is very quick in doing so and has some of the best defensive statistics in Europe with 2.5 tackles, 1.7 interceptions and 1.4 clearances per 90. He’s 6’1 and very strong. While not as impressive offensively as Soucek, he would be a bit better defensively and offer even more running. Getting a top goalie, top LCB, promising striker, quality atticking midfielder and defensive midfielder for £47.5M would be ridiculously good business. It would leave the rest of the budget to spend on a quality left back, striker and some depth.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

HammerAl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:11 pm It is, and it won’t happen, but we were already short by two or three players this season, plus we’re losing players when their contracts expire.

We should have brought more in in the summer and then again in January, so feels like we’re playing catch up a bit this time around.
and imvho we will be in January, and next summer and the next January and the next summer ad infinitum...........
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Hammer.CA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:07 pm I’m not claiming to be ‘in the know’ , a Leicester supporting friend of mine messaged me saying that he’s been told by a very good source* that West Ham have made a bid for Luke Thomas, their young left back.
Just relaying what I’ve been told.

*he originally said ‘a very good sauce’ I automatically assumed we’d want him on the HP.
Well Moyes earlier in the season did go to watch the England u21s play Czech Republic. A game Luke Thomas happened to be playing in.

https://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2021/1 ... /3453148/
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

West Ham have stepped up talks over a £15million deal for Rennes defender Nayef Aguerd.

West Ham may also be looking to strengthen in midfield to account for the retiring Mark Noble, and sign a permanent goalkeeper as Alphonse Areola's loan from PSG comes to an end.

Fulham are interested in West Ham's versatile wing-back Arthur Masuaku as well as Aston Villa's left-back Matt Targett.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -deal.html

Simon Jones from the Daily Mail reckons the Aguerd deal is more £15m than £25m.

Also talk of Fulham being interested in Masuaku.
Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

Peaches wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:29 am It looks like we are going to get our transfers started with some bargains. Areola for £10.5M, Aguerd for £15M, Castellanos for £12m (all the MLS journalists say it’s a done deal, and a steal at that) and Lingard on a “free”. I really think we should be looking at Ellyes Skhiri from FC Koln who may be available for as little as 10m as he is out of contract next year. He has lead all players in Europe in distance covered per 90, and is very quick in doing so and has some of the best defensive statistics in Europe with 2.5 tackles, 1.7 interceptions and 1.4 clearances per 90. He’s 6’1 and very strong. While not as impressive offensively as Soucek, he would be a bit better defensively and offer even more running. Getting a top goalie, top LCB, promising striker, quality atticking midfielder and defensive midfielder for £47.5M would be ridiculously good business. It would leave the rest of the budget to spend on a quality left back, striker and some depth.
The clickbait sites mention a deal almost done with Dortmund. But I agree, Skhiri is a very good DM, and he might be one of the great bargains of the summer due to his contractual situation.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I wonder whether Kompany will try to bring Cullen back to England? He was his captain at Anderlecht.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

We were linked with Skhiri before they moved to Germany, weren't we?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

SiamHammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:11 am Pretty sure that was the general feeling about Nketiah in Jan when Moyes was interested, now it looks like that 20m would've been excellent business
Really? Nketiah is bog average.

And apparently demanding £100k a week from Arsenal. :shock:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

stu1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:27 pm I think there are clear signs that his explosive pace is not what it once was.
He bulked up too much IMO. Gives his game other attributes that we value at the expense of explosive pace.