The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

e20too
Has liked: 666 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by e20too »

hammer1975 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:05 am It’s interesting reading all of the pro-Abraham stuff this window. When we were linked last year the response was almost a carbon copy of the comments about Watkins…not prolific enough, too expensive etc
Apart from those who for whatever reason are never coming to us that is almost inevitably the case here. Indeed like Abraham the negativity very much spreads into that level of player who still think they are too good for us in their minds or/and would want big pay cheques to encourage them to overcome those doubts, they only gain a change of mind amongst us it seems once they have proven themselves to be correct in their thinking, ie too late. It’s very much an uneasy balance that’s not going to change any time soon so let’s hope those players still hovering don’t have time to read these forums. All very circular I agree.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:56 am How many times have we got to dominate Aston Villa before people realise their mids aren’t on our level?

:coolas:
Quite.
I used to like Luiz but he isn't what we need now, nor McGinn. Gallagher on the other hand...
e20too
Has liked: 666 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by e20too »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:56 am How many times have we got to dominate Aston Villa before people realise their mids aren’t on our level?

:coolas:
That’s why they are looking to upgrade them ( well not specifically because of us but get the drift) so yes would be a little ironic if we then took their cast offs and further more as some outlets are calling it our proposed marquee signing.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Connor Gallagher is a cracking player. I think Billy Gilmour has bags of potential, too.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:43 am Love a bit of chat about players' ages!

:scarfer:
Bloody hell...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

jastons wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:11 am Connor Gallagher is a cracking player. I think Billy Gilmour has bags of potential, too.
Would love Gallagher here, but can't see a rival selling him to us. Then again new Yank owners might not quite have their finger on the pulse and might fall for a cheeky bid. Test the waters at least, I say...
westlondonhammer

Gallagher would be a bloody good signing

But if we have any chance of Bissouma at circa 30 million then he's the one for me

Revolutionises our squad
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Conte/Spurs are now after McGinn according to Mike Mgrath of the Telegraph.

We really should be pushing heavy for Bissouma
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:36 am They would play if they are good enough. Our Captain and our arguable starting Right Back are Academy kids. How many teams can say that?

We always overrate our youth players. Most will end up Orient level, it's just the odds. Our youth teams do well in their leagues because the best young players are usually playing in first teams around the continent anyway. It doesn't mean that much.

We are also trying to finish Top 6 and win European trophies. We aren't trying to finish 15th every year. The level of competition up here is much higher.
Have you just asked how many teams can say that they have one of their starting line up come through the acadamy and a total of two of their 1st team squad (three if you inlude Nobes who was with us last year)?

Then compare us versus the sky (top) 6 who have many more?

The sky 6 in relative numbers based on top 11 appearances and next 11 Academy products were last season as follows:-

Man City 1 (Foden) + 1 (Palmer)
Liverpool 1 (A-Arnold) + 2 (Jones & Kelleher)
Chelsea 2 (James & Mount) + 3 (Chalobah, L-Chhek & H-Odoi)
Spurs 1 (Kane) + 3 (Skipp, Winks & Tanangana)
Arsenal 2 (Saka & S-Rowe) + 2 (M-Niles & Nkeitah)
Man Utd 1 (McTominay) + 4 (Henderson, Rashford, Greenwood & Lingard)

I repeat, I think that Moyes is the best Manager we have ever had and yes I'd rather we were 6th than 16th (with a load of Academy kids). But a Sir Matt Busby/Fergie style developer of kids Moyes isn't.

The fact that our current crop may not be good enough is the only defence, but they have been doing well in their respective competitions. That so few have them have been released suggests that Moyes may have some confidence in those that are coming through now.

In your defence, I haven't seen one player in the U23's that was ready to be a 1st team regular last season, but there are one or two who were worthy of more game time during the injury crises (as quoted before, Longelo and Alese should have played ahead of Masuaku IMHO). I thought Chesters was worth a run off the bench on occasions when we were behind and looking to make things happen. He is a real dynamo.

I'm not sure that Alese and Longelo are that well considered though. Cardiff have inquired about a loan for Alese and we told sale only; as Forest were with Longelo in the January transfer window. A bit ironic given our likening for a try before you buy!
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I very rarely go on Instagram so can't confirm but a relative of mine said Lingard has now re-followed West Ham.
🤷‍♂️
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think in an ideal world, I'd very much like Gallagher AND Bissouma. Won't happen though.

I honestly don't see us playing Bissouma, Rice, and Soucek in the same first 11. I know we could if we changed to a 4-3-3... I just don't don't see us doing that.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Colours never run wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:19 am Would love Gallagher here, but can't see a rival selling him to us. Then again new Yank owners might not quite have their finger on the pulse and might fall for a cheeky bid. Test the waters at least, I say...
Aqua Marina is still there I think. She's not so dumb.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:47 am I very rarely go on Instagram so can't confirm but a relative of mine said Lingard has now re-followed West Ham.
🤷‍♂️
Very much doubt he ever unfollowed.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Albie Beck wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:58 am Quite.
I used to like Luiz but he isn't what we need now, nor McGinn. Gallagher on the other hand...

Gallagher would be a good replacement for Soucek as would McGinn maybe but playing either in midfield of Rice + Soucek and you don't get a lot of creativity - Douglas Luiz offers that and more , I think his career would benefit with a move to Moyes' West Ham . Anyway , it's a moot point as Moyes likes McGinn . :grin:
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Everyone is so determined for us to sign Bissouma (obviously i would like him as well) but i'm still yet to see any sort of credible link for us buying him. Really doubt we are going to sign him.
westlondonhammer

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:52 am I honestly don't see us playing Bissouma, Rice, and Soucek in the same first 11. I know we could if we changed to a 4-3-3... I just don't don't see us doing that.
Indeed

We're talking less than 10 games a season we may see that.

Rotating in the starting 11 and then swapping mid game will be the order of the day

If we take Europe and the cup seriously they'll all still play 45+ games a season...
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Albie Beck wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:52 am Aqua Marina is still there I think. She's not so dumb.

Offer her a No Strings Attached deal .
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

alantaylorsleftfoot wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:44 am Have you just asked how many teams can say that they have one of their starting line up come through the acadamy and a total of two of their 1st team squad (three if you inlude Nobes who was with us last year)?

Then compare us versus the sky (top) 6 who have many more?

The sky 6 in relative numbers based on top 11 appearances and next 11 Academy products were last season as follows:-

Man City 1 (Foden) + 1 (Palmer)
Liverpool 1 (A-Arnold) + 2 (Jones & Kelleher)
Chelsea 2 (James & Mount) + 3 (Chalobah, L-Chhek & H-Odoi)
Spurs 1 (Kane) + 3 (Skipp, Winks & Tanangana)
Arsenal 2 (Saka & S-Rowe) + 2 (M-Niles & Nkeitah)
Man Utd 1 (McTominay) + 4 (Henderson, Rashford, Greenwood & Lingard)
Yes, and how many of those are Captains of the club? So we’re basically doing about the same as our peers when it comes to youth, which would make sense as it’s really a lottery when it comes to having a kid come through who is good enough.

Moyes isn’t a Matt Busby developer of kids because we haven’t had one good enough in the last few yeses. It’s that simple. And if we did have one come through, it wouldn’t be because of Moyes (or any manager anyway). It would just be because we got lucky. If we had a 16 year old Wayne Rooney, I’m sure we’d be playing him.

Rice is the special one. Johnson is one who will probably play a couple hundred decent games for us if he continues to be ok being a squad man. Chester, Alese, Longelo, Perkins… they’ll probably end up playing for the Lutons of the world, and it won’t be because Moyes didn’t give them a chance. It will be because that’s likely their level.

It’s a numbers game when it comes to youth. Year after year, every fanbase does the same thing. They read of a kid banging them in for the academy and start believing that if he’s just given a chance in the first team, he’ll be the next big thing. And every year, what fanbases are actually doing is getting all excited about a future Northampton Town player.

If they are good enough, they will find their way into our team, no matter who the manager is.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

U21s regularly playing in central positions in the PL are as rare as players who score 20 a season in the PL.

You can almost count them on the fingers of one hand.

That's one of the reasons Broja looks such a prospect. How many 20 year old CF's, CMs, CBs or GKs are there in the PL? It implies he's light years ahead of the rest in his development.

Most 20 year olds look like boys playing against men. That certainly doesn't apply with Broja.

That kind of thing needs to be considered when looking at a kid like Perkins who has only just reached 18, or centre backs who are only 20/21.

Younger players tend to get their games out wide. It's lower risk. It takes more time and patience with players in the spine.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

I like him but I do think there’s a chance a club gets their pants pulled down by paying too much for Gallagher at this stage. He’s a hustle and bustle merchant - in the best tradition - but those types do sometimes get worked out over time. Definitely the type of player you want to see for another season before making definitive judgements.