The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2022.

Post by IronZ-79 »

Potter ended up picking up Caceido a player we was linked with for a small fee. Looks a bargain and another player we missed out on.
woodford
Has liked: 421 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

Long Shot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 am que sera sera

How long til someone says Que Sera Sera is a quality player that we should be all over ( obviously with out ever having seen him play ), and that he's on a plane to Nottingham
Last edited by woodford on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:05 am We don't have the squad space to register another 6 new signings unless we get rid of Randolph, Diop, Benrahma, Coventry and two others.
We have already signed five players (Areola, Aguerd, Downes, Cornet, Scamacca) so don't need six to reach ten. We have four spots open once Diop and Vlasic go. It only takes one more to go after that, and that's before you consider whether it's even worth registering Aguerd given how long his injury is.

3 : Areola: Fabianski: Randolph
3 : Coufal, Johnson: Cresswell (Ashby is 20)
4 : Dawson: Aguerd: Ogbonna: Zouma
4 : Rice: Soucek: Coventry: Downes
5 : Benrahma, Bowen, Cornet, Fornals: Lanzini
2: Antonio: Scamacca

Have I missed someone?
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 263 likes
Total likes: 648 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

For all the people on here taking the transfer window far too seriously, were you like this when you only had ceefax, and didn’t have social media/SSN to get you riled up?

Honestly, the way some are talking makes me think they are one failed signing away from having a stroke. Take a breath and relax - football really isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.
Liam
Has liked: 95 likes
Total likes: 214 likes

Post by Liam »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:21 am We haven't even got the squad space for 6 more players.

We need to shift more if we're signing more.

We have 23 currently, so room for two more. When Diop leaves that'll be 22, so three more.
I make it 22 with Diop and Vlasic gone? If we were to sign 4 then i assume we wouldn't register Trott.
Last edited by Liam on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:02 am we dont have the time for 10 ; 5 will do !

LB CB X 2 CM RW
You do realise that's 10 overall, right?
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3226 likes
Total likes: 2623 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

The club have had a monster job to refresh the side this summer. We began it with a legacy of needing a few players because we’ve been short there: Striker, Centre Mid and Left Back.

Then there were those who were no longer deemed good enough to compete at this level: Yarmo, Masuaku, Fredericks and Kral all had to be moved on. Noble has retired. When you add in Vlasic and Diop, the scale of the change necessary looks enormous.

We have Dawson, Fabianski, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Antonio and Rice (sadly) who are all likely in their last year of contract with us who will need replacing next year.

That’s 10 players that needs to be bought this year, rather than a healthy 2/3 you might look to bring in in a regular season. Well over half the team, including first teamers and back ups.

6 players that need to be replaced next year, all of whom are very important squad players, and started pretty much every game they were available last season.

Lingard and Onana were obviously planned moves that went wrong, Broja is looking like it has also gone that way.

We have brought in Aguard, Scamacca, Cornet, Areola and Downes. They largely fit the right age profile of player: 25 and under and I’d say we’re probably half-way done.

If we bring in another 2/3 players in, we will have brought in 7/8 players this summer. That is simultaneously too many players (imo) at once to gel effectively, but not enough to fill the gaps in the squad.

Whilst I’m highly irritated about the way the club has gone about it’s business this window and January, I think it’s important to remember the scale of change Moyes and his backroom staff have had to manage. If we’ve missed out on players, we have to accept that might in some part a result of having to juggle too many requirements.

This season was always coming, we had one of the oldest squads in the league and needed to bring in younger players. We had some players who never reached their potential with us on decent wages (Yarmo, Diop, Vlasic).

If the club are taking their time because they don’t want to make the same mistakes that have landed us in this situation, you can understand that. It’s unsatisfying, irritating and symptomatic of a club that hasn’t had a professional overarching approach to recruitment for well over a decade.

Hopefully Moyes is fixing things, bur the fear is that we’re only a bad run of games away from repeating the same old story. Fingers crossed.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:12 am Sometimes (and this is what I'm hoping) all it takes is one or two players to galvanise the rest of the team and bring that spark back. When things go stale, the players don't all necessarily need replacing, and tactics don't necessarily need wholesale changes. Sometimes they just need a lift.
I would agree with you, had we kept the squad the same, maybe lost Noble to retirement. You can add it one or two dynamic guys and move forwards.

But we haven't. We've lost Martin, Fredericks, Masuaku, Kral, Noble, and Yarmolenko, with Vlasic and Diop to follow.

That's a huge portion of the squad irrespective of if they played regularly. Just by replacing those bodies one for one means the plan for one or two players galvanising the team is blown apart because you need enough new bodies anyway to replace the outgoings.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by Ben »

Everyone used to rave about Southampton’s model of having players lined up for when someone is sold
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:14 am We have already signed five players (Areola, Aguerd, Downes, Cornet, Scamacca) so don't need six to reach ten. We have four spots open once Diop and Vlasic go. It only takes one more to go after that, and that's before you consider whether it's even worth registering Aguerd given how long his injury is.

3 : Areola: Fabianski: Randolph
3 : Coufal, Johnson: Cresswell (Ashby is 20)
4 : Dawson: Aguerd: Ogbonna: Zouma
4 : Rice: Soucek: Coventry: Downes
5 : Benrahma, Bowen, Cornet, Fornals: Lanzini
2: Antonio: Scamacca

Have I missed someone?
Good post. Now see what players listed above would get into someone like Arsenal' squad (realistic team to compare)

I would say Rice. Bowen. Zouma. And Aguerd and Scamacca as possibles (jury's out)

That's why Moyes wanted 5 or 6 in of sufficient quality. So far he has managed to get a max of 4 in. 6 more at least of sufficient quality needed. I don't care what anyone says. Cornet was a compromise on Lingard.
He is literally seeing his vision clinging on by its fingernails. The owners need a miracle to attract the players he needs.
This is heading one way at the moment. And it ain't looking good as.far as I can see.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I want Grillitsch. He's got magic tackles.

No idea if 90mins is at all reliable, but they have Tanguy Nianzou as an CB target - https://www.90min.com/posts/west-ham-tr ... ack-latest
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1527 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:09 am If Randolph goes we register Trott, we're not going without a 3rd goalkeeper so one will stay. I counted 23 with Vlasic gone, but I'm not sure who isn't on this list.

Regardless, unless we do sell Benrahma and throw Coventry somewhere we don't have the squad space for 6 new signings.

I don't think Benrahma will go anywhere anyway, and we'll likely get three more in, so really it's 20 available including your 15, the 3rd goalkeeper and 3 new signings with the 3 injuries to return. Aguerd back in October, Ogbonna and Dawson probably back sooner.
But that is the reality of the situation. I’m not saying Randolph won’t be replaced. What I’m saying is the squad isn’t as strong as naming 23 players. When you dig deeper you realise how short we are of where we need to be.

The impression is moyes works better with small squads but for the last two seasons we’ve fallen away because of a lack of squad depth.

On a positive note I think we’re more than capable of bringing in another 4 or 5 and I don’t think it will take long for them to gel. I just hope sully has fully ****ed off from having an input.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Diop and Vlasic should be announced today bringing our squad down to threadbare levels.

I expect to see lots of links and bids going in over the next few days covering 2-3 positions.

We should also be hearing back from PSG soon I think.
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1141 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

MB wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:13 am Or we are now stuck with Nat Phillips and Origi having not won the Europa League which means we cannot afford players like Scamacca.

I love the certainty of the January striker mob. If any of you feel like giving me the winning lotto numbers then very much appreciated
This works both ways obviously. Many would argue that getting new players to share the workload would stop the players burning out. I mean our form before and after January are very different.

No one knows what would have happened, but as you would like the lottery numbers, I would settle for an explenation for how not adding to the small squad sat in around the CL places in January was the right thing to do.

Moyes gambled because he would rather wait for the right quality later. The problem with that is that this is later and the quality he wanted to get CL, isn't as attracted to a team with a downwards spiraling form and no CL or El.

I like Moyes and applaud him for what he has done, but I don't see why he shouldn't take critisism for mistakes as well.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Ah great, so the thread this morning is no new transfer updates and news, and plenty of moaning about how useless the club apparently are at transfers and scouting.

I suppose my post is a moan about people moaning. :newthumb:

PS my comments are general, referring to the last 4-5 pages, just in case the people who posted directly above think I was referring to them (I wasn't). :winker:
Last edited by steveyrockstar on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1365 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:20 am The club...
Great summary, it’s a huge job resulting from years of mismanagement and a total lack of planning!
But….. if we can bring in another 4 or 5 of quality now ( which may need to include a couple on loan with options) there’s a foundation to build on. We’d still have Oggy, Daws, Cress & Antonio ageing and in need of replacement next year, but that’s manageable and I think we have a few youngsters, particularly in the u18 squad, that have potential to cover a couple of those.
We are about half way done, we need a couple for Sunday ideally, all very pressured and stressful, let’s see what the next couple of weeks bring, time is running out so we have to be decisive now. Do it right and I still think there’s a chance Rice stays.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Just seen we've been linked with Victor Lindelof, which I think may have originated from Ex.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Are we now even able to have 5 substitutes on the bench and can Moyes turn to GSB themselves and name them as subs ? and tell them - Here you go, this is what you have reduced me to
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

The real problem this season is the early start, leaving virtually a whole month of players in limbo. Suddenly Brighton are flavour of the month. The team who finished below us for the last two seasons. There was actually a thread entitled "don't you wish we were more like Leicester " (or was it Wolves?). Man united, whatever you think of them, are a club whose history and standing dwarfs us (even though we are massive) yet their transfer window makes ours look slick. My point is : chaos is happening at most clubs, we notice ours more because we hang on every snippet of rumour. Moyes obviously has decided we need a big upgrade and it's been complicated by a spate of relatively minor injuries.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator.