FAC5: Southampton 3-1 West Ham Utd (2/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham Utd FAC5: match thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:49 pm Grown men eh?
Yet people still wonder why football supporters are treated the way they are. While yobs behave like this no one will be able to drink in their seat or legally stand, and they'll still be herded to and from the ground. Still, you made threatening gestures from behind a safety barrier. Well done, you must be very proud.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

kitthehammer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:01 am No offence but that's hardly any kind of ambition is it? That sounds like how i feel about the board. That we are being run as a business with the sole ambition of staying in the premier league so the money keeps ticking over. Nothing more.
So that's why we don't invest in players to kick on and have a manager that can only deal with a first 11 and plays players out of position from a threadbare squad.

So really moyes fits the bill. As an everton fan said to me when moyes signed for us, "he'll keep you in the league but you wont win anything".
The reality is as i said about two months ago, we wont win the fa cup, league cup or europa league and finish about 9th because we dont have a squad big enough to cope. And it will be the same for the foreseeable future.

Some fans seem happy with that, personally i'm getting a bit fed up with pumping my salary into running a football business, the train and tube network and tv subscriptions and my time, in order to perpetually hope for what isn't required by the owners - that one day we might actually win something in my lifetime.

It's like dining weekly at a west end restaurant for 40 years in the hope that one day they might make a decent meal.
None taken.

Genuinely interested in what you think a realistic ambition for us is at the moment. I don't see us bettering Chelsea, Liverpool or Man City in the next few seasons. If we finish ahead of any one of Spurs, Arsenal or Man U I think we'll have done well.

I see Moyes job as a longer term project - seems he does too. If we're still where we are not in 2 years time, I'll be disappointed. But we're still doing better than we have for the vast majority of seasons in the Premiership.

I guess I'm saying it's a bit early to judge. I believe that Moyes took the job with a long term vision, which presumably the Board signed up to. If we don't kick on with transfers in the Summer it will be bad news indeed.

For those who think Moyes gets it all wrong, I'd say: who would you rather havee as our manager? Conte might be available soon......

However I'd still rather support us than Man U or Spurs. I like and respect our managers and players. I want us to win things, but I'm not going to start throwing toys out of the pram every time we lose or play badly, just as I didn't think we had it in us to be top 4 for the whole season after we beat Chelsea and Liverpool.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by djbubbles »

Benrahma is getting on my tits. So frustrating. Since his very brief purple patch he has....
Done 20 stepovers a game and dosent gain any ground ever.
Hits the defenders arse with every cross he tries.
And when he shoots he always looks to curl a shot into the top right corner but baloons it 15 feet over the crossbar.
Id rather have Bananarama
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

djbubbles wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:47 pm Benrahma is getting on my tits. So frustrating. Since his very brief purple patch he has....
And when he shoots he always looks to curl a shot into the top right corner but baloons it 15 feet over the crossbar.
Can't put my finger on it but something happened at AFCON. He came back a spoilt brat with the inability to get his head over the ball when he shoots.
Kevin Harriott

Post by Kevin Harriott »

djbubbles wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:47 pm Benrahma is getting on my tits. So frustrating. Since his very brief purple patch he has....
:crylol:
You were really saying something.

Bop bop shoobey do ah!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Bananarama made me lolz :newthumb:

My son said to me last night "you are now running out of ideas on how to defend Benny aren't you" he is right, he is becoming very frustrating!
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:15 pm Bananarama made me lolz :newthumb:

My son said to me last night "you are now running out of ideas on how to defend Benny aren't you" he is right, he is becoming very frustrating!
Ash has added you to his list ;)
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Believer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:56 am My thoughts are that Benny, Kral and Vlasic will all leave in the summer. I could see some sort of swap deal with Brentford for Benny..
I don’t want Benrahma to go but could definitely see that deal happening. I’d take Josh Dasilva in return.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

steps wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:51 am Steady on.

They’ll lose Broja next season and other good players they have will be pounced upon by bigger clubs, as they always are.

They’ve had a good little run admittedly, but they’re still capable of losing games 9-0.
Steps, obviously I hope I'm wrong but they appear to have turned a corner, while our progress seems to have bogged down.

Could we have started that game with 9 changes in the starting line up and won!

Meanwhile we're flogging the same 12 or 13 players into the ground, week in, week out.

And what evidence is there, that Sullivan / the board will adequately deal with the squad re-build that's needed this summer!!

Apart from the top six, there'll most likely be another half a dozen teams in and around us next season and I think Southampton will be one of them.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Southamptin draw Man City in the next round
Monkey Magic
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Monkey Magic »

At least Southampton getting Man City makes up a little for last night. I know we beat them in the Carabao but this would be different
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:55 pm Southamptin draw Man City in the next round
The fugue of disappointment lifts a shade.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:55 pm Southamptin draw Man City in the next round
Course they have
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

I'm glad they've drawn them and not us, honestly! Can you imagine the "West Ham are massive crew (We are not) banging on and on and on....... I rest my case.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Hermit_Road wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:11 pm Can you imagine the "West Ham are massive crew (We are not) banging on and on and on....... I rest my case.
Who pissed on your cornflakes? :coolas:
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

forget signing Broja he has the arrogance and attitude to take over from Lukaka after this season, hungrier to make it as well, I expect him to be leading their line next season, hopefully without rice
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

waynepin wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:37 pm forget signing Broja he has the arrogance and attitude to take over from Lukaka after this season, hungrier to make it as well, I expect him to be leading their line next season, hopefully without rice
Bet he'll be even more of an insufferable cheater too.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

happydaystoytown wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:43 pm Could we have started that game with 9 changes in the starting line up and won!

Meanwhile we're flogging the same 12 or 13 players into the ground, week in, week out.
Could we have even made 9 changes?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

We could have Jastons, a lot of the U23's, plus Randolph at RWB, but it could have been done.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

See the top 3 missed each other again but all have away games