FAC5: Southampton 3-1 West Ham Utd (2/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham Utd FAC5: match thread

Post by Denbighammer »

I'm absolutely gutted. I can't help feel that our best chance of a trophy has gone...again.

This is all going as so many of us predicted. We haven't learnt the lessons of the recent past, no investment after Christmas has killed our season again for the third time in a fuckkng DECADE!!

It's all so bloody predictable. I don't blame the players, they are out on their feet and need every ounce of our support now to drag them through the next couple of months. COYI
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

What we needed last night was the same energy that we had against Wolves. As Southamptin demonstrated we didnt need our first 11 starting we just needed every player doing their job efficiently.

We didnt.

We also had the opportunity of using 5 subs so as to keep that energy going for the full 90.....we used 2.

We now play in 2 days against a team that has had a rest (only 3 first team players started for Liverpool last night)....

It's going to be dejavu against the scousers isnt it?
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Let's have a bit of perspective. Barely 3 days ago we played very well to beat an in-form Wolves team.

We're not in a relegation battle.

We're still a team I feel proud of. There are some sides I'd be embarrassed to support.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

f*** me Southampton pretty much give us a pass into the next round, Moyes to his credit goes pretty much full strength, we score in the 1st 15/20 mins and we win that comfortably, fair play to Southampton they got it together and then made us look pretty rubbish for pretty much most of the game.

Blowing out our arses come 60 mins, bring on the cavalry, oh..

What a waste of a chance, proper gutted this morning. The only time we really look dangerous presently is from set pieces, lacking that final ball/finish at the moment, Soucek, love the bloke, but f*** me he can't hit a ball at the moment.

Arrggghhhhhhh for me our best chance of silverware has just gone, couple of decent players in Jan could have changed that game last night.

Now we are knackered and having to face the Mickeys who are bang in it for the title. Wake me up Monday..
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

If I didn't expect us to lose yesterday, I'd be gutted.
The unwillingness to expand the number of players or the way we want to win games, is pure comedy :newharry:
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

szola wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:48 am If I didn't expect us to lose yesterday, I'd be gutted.
The unwillingness to expand the number of players or the way we want to win games, is pure comedy :newharry:
Looking at those two starting 11"s last night and it's clear to see which manager put his neck on the line, gambled and took the risk.

Ralph called it right. Our manager called it wrong.
King1968
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by King1968 »

Anyone know what's happened
to Emmanuel Longelo ?,Is he injured looked a proper talent in the Europa game,would be ideal at left wing back instead of our most creative player bringing ask to try and do a job there.
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Pete647580 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:42 am Let's have a bit of perspective. Barely 3 days ago we played very well to beat an in-form Wolves team.

We're still a team I feel proud of. There are some sides I'd be embarrassed to support.
On Sunday we played well, though passing and finishing were wasteful, against a weakened Wolves team who had played strong opposition late mid week when we had a full week off.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Pete647580 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:42 am Let's have a bit of perspective. Barely 3 days ago we played very well to beat an in-form Wolves team.

No offence but that's hardly any kind of ambition is it? That sounds like how i feel about the board. That we are being run as a business with the sole ambition of staying in the premier league so the money keeps ticking over. Nothing more.
So that's why we don't invest in players to kick on and have a manager that can only deal with a first 11 and plays players out of position from a threadbare squad.

So really moyes fits the bill. As an everton fan said to me when moyes signed for us, "he'll keep you in the league but you wont win anything".
The reality is as i said about two months ago, we wont win the fa cup, league cup or europa league and finish about 9th because we dont have a squad big enough to cope. And it will be the same for the foreseeable future.

Some fans seem happy with that, personally i'm getting a bit fed up with pumping my salary into running a football business, the train and tube network and tv subscriptions and my time, in order to perpetually hope for what isn't required by the owners - that one day we might actually win something in my lifetime.

It's like dining weekly at a west end restaurant for 40 years in the hope that one day they might make a decent meal.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:59 pm 5th, 6th or 7th still says there's nothing much wrong with the attack.

Where do we rank on goals conceded?
Currently 8th, and again, a few around us are very close to our number but have to play games in hand. I think we will will end up around 6th or 7th in both goals scored and goals conceded, which by your metric would mean there is nothing much wrong with the team at all and we should all be happy with how this team is currently playing.

Our early season form is massively skewing our stats for the season. For the past few months we have been poor and that is largely due to us not having a big enough squad to cope with the demands on us.

As I said last night, don't get me wrong. I am very aware that finishing 7th and reaching the QFs of all other competitions is a decent benchmark for us right now. A few years of that would see us very well placed to kick on.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

firstly thankfully we dont follow teams like human rights abuse/murderers newcastle, UAE city, spurs or chelski !

secondly the squad is not used by moyes but our bench was telling last night. southampton who sell their best players could bring on redmond broja etc. we had just 2 players who moyes trusted to come on ; an out of form benrahma and vlasic who has failed to produce much so far.

our passing was tired and too slow. the players need a break before our cup final against sevilla . time to rest a lot against liverpool who will rip us apart if we play the same team so might as well change it up and rest the majority of those who will play in seville.

yet again no left back cover for cresswell is killing us . fornals was wasted at LWB .

This was not our best chance of winning anything as liverpool man city chelsea will win it. we now need them to win it to increase the EL places for next season !

onto the next game.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:06 am Currently 8th, and again, a few around us are very close to our number but have to play games in hand. I think we will will end up around 6th or 7th in both goals scored and goals conceded, which by your metric would mean there is nothing much wrong with the team at all and we should all be happy with how this team is currently playing.

Our early season form is massively skewing our stats for the season. For the past few months we have been poor and that is largely due to us not having a big enough squad to cope with the demands on us.

As I said last night, don't get me wrong. I am very aware that finishing 7th and reaching the QFs of all other competitions is a decent benchmark for us right now. A few years of that would see us very well placed to kick on.
Same old problem. Lack of quality in the final third poor finishing and sloppy passes
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:08 am Whether you take the form guide as 5, 10, 15 or 20 games the lowest we drop is 8th.

Historically 8th is a fantastic season. "One good season" :lol: how have our other recent managers done in Europe?
The standard so far of the Europa league has been championship at best. Getting there was great. But we're playing with the big boys now. After what I've seen in recent months Sevilla will ruin us.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

They will if the tired team turns up. moyes needs to rest a few on saturday. antonio and soucek at the bare minimum to sit this out.

southampton had shane long, adams brofa armstrong as their strikers last night. we had antonio plus two kids who havent played !

shows the state of us when their squad is better than ours.

next few weeks will decide it for us

liverpool a defeat
sevilla a draw ?
villa h a must win game for top 6
sevilla h ?
spurs a draw ?

tough set of matches ! sevilla matches must be the priority for me !
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:17 am The standard so far of the Europa league has been championship at best. Getting there was great. But we're playing with the big boys now. After what I've seen in recent months Sevilla will ruin us.
Totally depends which WHU turn up. As poor as it has looked through Jan and Feb, we were actually decent against Wolves to be fair and 'that' WHU will give anyone a game. We still lacked a bit of a cutting edge, but we played well as a team.

We were not exactly off the pace last night either, we started brighter and some would even say that we edged it for parts of the game.
They scored a worldly (would Fab have saved it??) and were gifted a pen. If Dawson's header goes in, we no doubt go to ET time and or pens as we wouldn't have been caught that high for their 3rd.

Our best XI, playing at their best will give anyone a game. Key is getting them all out there and all laying at their best.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Our passing into the box to create shooting opportunities is woeful and has been for months. It's at the heart of our mini slump and was the biggest reason we went out last night, we got control of ball in very good areas to put a decent ball into the box or put someone in and time and again our choice of pass and its execution was poor. And when we did get into a shooting position we fluffed that, Soucek's shot wide and pathetic strike after being the worst.
Passing the ball to a player in a scoring position is our biggest issue.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:13 am This is key for me
All managers have players they don't want. But you don't just ignore them week after week

Sometimes the reserves and youngsters might pleasantly surprise if they get the chance to step up
Wise words Crouchie, especially when the first team are obviously physically and mentally fatigued
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Estuary wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:28 am Our passing into the box to create shooting opportunities is woeful and has been for months. It's at the heart of our mini slump and was the biggest reason we went out last night, we got control of ball in very good areas to put a decent ball into the box or put someone in and time and again our choice of pass and its execution was poor. And when we did get into a shooting position we fluffed that, Soucek's shot wide and pathetic strike after being the worst.
Passing the ball to a player in a scoring position is our biggest issue.
Absolutely 100%.

Our passing and movement up to the box yesterday was as good as it has been in months in the first half hour yesterday. It was the appalling shooting, passing, crossing at that point that let us down.

Get it right and we could have been three up at half time.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:11 am We know for a fact that Sullivan does pressure managers to take players. He has said so himself about £20m+ players.

Yes, we know you are desperate to dig at Moyes, dig at Antonio because you do it all the ****ing time.
No, but people like you think he walks on water, I’ve never known a more protected WH manager. The mismanagement of the squad is down to him. Now course the fact he has them where they are is testament to him but imo he is leaving himself so much work to do this summer that if not done right I can see a proper scrap next year. My gripe with Antonio is simple. He isn’t a forward, he is a winger hence all his best work is done wide. The fact we rely on him so much isn’t his fault of course but he really isn’t that good.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:27 am The same guy who has been b****ing for weeks that we didn't make any January Signings has also just said that Moyes should walk away from signings he doesn't want that the board offer.

There it is. Absolute proof that he just doesn't like Moyes. Face doesn't fit.
Exactly. We're already at the stage, that he come up with disrespectful names for our best manager in decades and calls to play U23s, who he had described as not good enough during December and January.

Looks more and more like one of those who'll never be happy.