Liverpool 1-0 West Ham Utd (5/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2405 likes

Re: ⚽ Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

If we play like that we’ll beat Seville. Antonio back to close to his best. They won’t have seen anything like him in full flow.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3194 likes

Post by WCpete »

It really is funny how almost every time we play Liverpool the OV generally says "we weren't at our best". It's been happening for 4 or 5 years now. Maybe more. Isn't it just possible that they weren't at their best because we are a tough matchup for them?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

WCpete wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:20 pm It really is funny how almost every time we play Liverpool the OV generally says "we weren't at our best". It's been happening for 4 or 5 years now. Maybe more. Isn't it just possible that they weren't at their best because we are a tough matchup for them?
Hopefully they'll never work it out. It was the same when we beat Chelsea.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a clip of Noble scoring from 40 yards yesterday?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:25 pm Can anyone please point me in the direction of a clip of Noble scoring from 40 yards yesterday?
Should have stood! :lol:
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Moyes got the strategy and tactics spot on against a stronger team.
More than enough chances to nick a point there, I'd argue it was the execution in front of goal that let us down.
Nice to see Antonio put the wind up Konate repeatedly - looked like our Mike was on fine form.
Interestingly, Jon Moss was having absolutely none of Salah flinging himself to the ground.
Onwards and upwards.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

We played a lot better than i thought we would and there certainly wasn't any signs of tiredness but i would certainly still point to not having been able to bring anyone on or start with anyone that looked like a genuine threat in front of goal and i really couldn't see us scoring or that we had anyone capable in our team of doing so. Unfortunately this missing piece is the reason i see us not progressing in europe of finishing in a european place. I think we'll be very lucky to finish in the euro conference place.
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

We gave one of Europe's best teams a really good game but fluffed our numerous chances. We will play a lot worse than that and win games.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well that was much much better than I expected, fair play to the team and really put in a decent performance, if we only had our shooting boots on...

Bowen was a huge concern, but seems minor from the reports I have seen. Gives me huge hope for the next game!
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by waynepin »

watching the game again this morning and due to knowing the result and not screaming at the ref and generally too involved to listen to Carragher, the things Carragher comes out with make me believe his love for liverpool should stop him commentating on sky for their games, I'm sure he could be on Liverpool TV for the more biased version. he states when Antonio is through he takes the shot early due to Van Dijk approaching him from the side, Antonio took the shot because another touch he closes the angle and has less to aim at, but no Jamie thinks the scouse defender is so much better than anyone else players shoot because he is that good, then Salah loses the ball screams like a little girl and Carragher states maybe not given because he lost control of the ball, but definitely a foul, the replay then shows no contact, does Jamie then say no he didnt get touched or the biased he was looking for the foul, meaning a cheat we like, or he dived a cheat we dont like, no Jamie says nothing. soucek was wearing a headband due to colliding with an elbow against saints, does that mean he was elbowed but no foul given. thank god we aint gotta play them again this season
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Jamie Carragher spits in children's faces.

Whatever else comes out of his gob frankly isn't worth listening to.
goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

You have to wonder who chooses sky co-commentators. This weekend: Liverpool - carragher. Arsenal - Alan Smith. Manu - Neville.
All three (quite rightly) support their old clubs, but why not swap them around a bit?
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

goa127 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:53 pm You have to wonder who chooses sky co-commentators. This weekend: Liverpool - carragher. Arsenal - Alan Smith. Manu - Neville.
All three (quite rightly) support their old clubs, but why not swap them around a bit?
I actually think Neville is pretty impartial and unbiased in how he sees the game, although you can tell he is unhappy (nowadays).
Smith and Carragher are blinkered and just see it as their teams are the best and should be winning. ****

Not a popular opinion.....but I think Gary Nev is an excellent pundit. I'm quite pedantic so I like the detail and logic he goes into. Can't stand the superficial generalisation you see on MoTD.
Generally wonder if the MoTD guys have watched the games. I suppose they can have got through 5 games before 10.30pm but they are still
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

goa127 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:53 pm You have to wonder who chooses sky co-commentators. This weekend: Liverpool - carragher. Arsenal - Alan Smith. Manu - Neville.
The co-commentator should never be an ex player for either of that games teams.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

I suspect that it works like clickbait. Man U fans like to hear what Neville has to say and everyone else likes to slag them off as biased...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Yeah they do that on purpose. They want Carragher spaffing in his pants every time Liverpool get near the opposition team's goal. Apparently it adds to the "excitement".
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

El brooko79 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:05 pm I actually think Neville is pretty impartial and unbiased in how he sees the game, although you can tell he is unhappy (nowadays).
Smith and Carragher are blinkered and just see it as their teams are the best and should be winning. ****

Not a popular opinion.....but I think Gary Nev is an excellent pundit. I'm quite pedantic so I like the detail and logic he goes into. Can't stand the superficial generalisation you see on MoTD.
Generally wonder if the MoTD guys have watched the games. I suppose they can have got through 5 games before 10.30pm but they are still
Hearing how upset Neville was at the end of the Manc derby gave me some very satisfying schadenfreude. He is a good pundit.

I think it's pretty clear they don't watch most of the games. Shearer, what did you think "The goal scorer takes his finish really well here, he had a good game, though he should have scored this other chance" ****ing hell what are you earning for that.

To be fair if you stream our games it always seems to be Tony Gale, and he usually talks about us 90% of the game.
Has liked: 4586 likes
Total likes: 1547 likes

Post by Sticky »

Was about to log in and post the same..while I found it irritating that Carraghers toenails are the only thing visible - what with him being so far up Salahs a*se ... I had to admit to that on the opposite side of that, I was - and I hate to admit this about myself - but I was almost drinking Gary Neville's years yesterday. It was quite beautiful to hear a grown man almost cry on telly over his past glories. Yanited are **** now. It is what it is. The sooner everyone accepts that - the sooner we can forget about them..
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Trouble le is we have still to climb over them in the league

Hopefully they drop form after they have beaten spurs
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3195 likes
Total likes: 2330 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

London Fields Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:43 pm I suspect that it works like clickbait. Man U fans like to hear what Neville has to say and everyone else likes to slag them off as biased...
It's exactly what it is.

Winding the rest of us up is part of the business model.