Shane Warne

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Re: RIP Shane Warne

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Big George wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:24 pm Chatting to a friend about watching the "ball of the century" together on TV in 1993. He tranformed spin bowling that day and over the next two decades brought showbiz, theatre as well as skill to cricket. He also was a spin evangelist giving advice freely to anyone who would listen.
I remember ringing my Dad to say 'did you see that' his phone was engaged because he was trying to ring me to say 'did you see that' :crylol:
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Shane Warne

Post by Jackanakanory »

Totally stunned by this one. Two words I have seen a lot since hearing of this are Legend and Genius - I don't think they do the fella justice.

For my money he was the greatest bowler of all time. Spin bowling is an art form and he was the greatest exponent of it.

Absolutley hated him when we has playing against us in the Ashes but thats cos you knew how good he was. Pleased he played for Hampshire though.

RIP Shane
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Floored by this to be honest.
Every so often a sportsman comes along who will transcend rivalries because they are just so damned good. Warney was such a sportsman. Hated the way he would rip through our batsmen in Ashes matches but you had to take your hat off to Warney and just admire is ability. That ball against Gatting still defies belief no matter how many times it’s repeated.

Within hours of paying respect to another Aussie great, Rodney Marsh, he himself was dead. It’s shocking news.

The greatest spinner ever and a real character.

RIP Warney
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

RIP Shane. Thanks for the memories.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by davids cross »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:41 pm Every so often a sportsman comes along who will transcend rivalries because they are just so damned good.

Well put.... :newthumb:
badabing
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by badabing »

That`s very sad news, what an incredible player.

I remember the Gatting ball, the commentators said that the Aussies kept him under wraps in the one dayers, so I thought hmmm let`s see what this fella`s all about , and then he produced that ball. Immediately you knew England were in deep doodoo. The look on Gatts face !!

RIP Warney
SammyLeeWasOffside

badabing wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:07 pm RIP it Warney
:newthumb:

To this day I'm not sure Gatt has quite figured it out. Watched the Amazon doc on Warne just last week can't remember if it was Gatt or Strauss that said they checked with the umpire if it has actually happened lol.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by smuts »

I always remember Dickie Bird looking on like he couldn't believe what he'd seen.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2615 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Very sad new indeed, sometimes the word ‘legend’ isn’t justified at all but in Warney’s case it totally was!

Being English, I used to hate him for the way he ripped us apart regularly only starting to appreciate him in his mid test career, and then somewhat begrudgingly. Then as a Hampshire lad, I loved him when he played for us.

Also, got to admire how he’d help other bowlers with tips on their game. A great story here written by Bobby Cross, brother of England bowler Kate, and son of Psycho . RIP

Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Shocked is the only word I can say when I heard the news.

One of the best, if not the best bowler of a generation, even if it was for "that" ball alone.

RIP Warnie.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Absolutely gutted by this.
How he never captained the Test team for Australia, I will never know; Players would run through brick walls for him.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

He was the guy who made spin, cool
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Very sad news.
Met Shane Warne a couple of times when our company brought over all the kit and equipment for one of the Ashes series.
even got invited to the dressing room by Bob Simpson who was the Australian manager at that time and met all of them.
He was a really nice bloke.
I have a signed cricket bat of him and the rest of the team in my office, an Australian Test jumper that I gave to a good mate of mine in Australia as a gift and some great photo's of him and others.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

When I started watching the IPL and I first heard Warney was playing I immediately asked who his team was, Rajasthan Royals, that'll do for me. After years of watching him tear England apart I finally had him on the team I can support and it felt bloody marvellous cheering him on with bat and ball.

Very sad day for cricket.

RIP Shane.
OFT
Has liked: 3233 likes
Total likes: 1846 likes

Post by OFT »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:22 pm He was the guy who made spin, cool
He did didn't he.

never thought about it like that before.
what a player, very sad day for cricket and sport in general.
RIP Warney
SammyLeeWasOffside

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:22 pm He was the guy who made spin, cool
I thought that was Alistair Campbell
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

When I was working for the Beeb I was nattering to a sport producer who was also a keen, and good, cricketer. He had made short piece with Warne and presented with the chance, asked if he'd bowl an over at him in the nets. Well, who wouldn't?

me:- did you get a bat on one?
him:- no

me:- did you get a bat even near one?
him:- no.

I was genuinely shocked to read he'd died. He redefined spin bowling, and when you number eight batsman scores a ton...

A once in a generation century sportsman.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 175 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I can’t really explain how gutted I am with this news. Not sure I’ve ever felt this sad from a celebrity death - with the exception of probably Amy Winehouse.

I grew up like many others watching and being in awe of the magician that he was. He inspired me and helped grow my love of cricket - and the reason I’m a leg spinner at club level cricket.

Then since he retired, he became a coach who just seemed to love the game and want to get the best from youngsters - watch some of the sky masterclass stuff, it was fantastic to see him talk about the art of spinning a ball.

As a commentator he was fantastic and knowledgeable and a voice I can hear in my head now.

I have a funny story when I was at Lords in 2013 and he was on media duties. I was walking by the media centre entrance by the nursery ground. I spot Warne and am in awe. I go and get a photo of him, and then ask for a selfie - which he was more than happy to do. Walking away as giddy as a kid, my mate says to me ‘why didn’t you get a picture with her too?!’, ‘Who?’ I reply. ‘Liz Hurley who was standing next to him’ - I was oblivious that I missed the stunning movie star, that was the impact Warne had on me.

Excusing the pun but it has hit me for six.

RIP Shane :heart: ‘Bowled Warney’
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3684 likes
Total likes: 2404 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I loved Shane Warne. Not really sure why, I just did.

I like cricket but I’m by no means a ‘cricket fan’.

He’s Australian and I can take or leave them generally.

He destroyed us pretty much every time we played them.

He was brash and flash and bleached his hair.

All that and I still loved him. An absolute chap in every sense. Brilliant bloke and a one-off sportsman. I’m gutted.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3684 likes
Total likes: 2404 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

There’s something about sportsmen that *ahem ‘live a life’ off the field and yet somehow manage to maintain the highest of standards on it. It’s because we all wish that was us.

He was in one of my old haunts Samui. Hope he went out in appropriate style. :beers: