UEL16: Sevilla 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Re: ⚽ The Spanish Inquisition -Sevilla FC Vs West Ham United (Match Thread)

Post by Albie Beck »

Got back fairly late last night after the Border Control fiasco so only read the last few pages. Kialos and pinky summed up the position superbly.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:00 pm :clap:

I think we matched a team destined to play in next year's CL and that he played a full part, despite having a fresh facial injury.
As I say, I like him, but if I was to look at our team clinically, I do believe that his lack of ability with the ball is probably limiting us from reaching a higher level. He is uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, and it slows us down. He is also not creative or a good passer, so if he doesn't score, I don't think he brings enough to the team.

I'm well aware that we are generally a pretty good side these days. Hopefully he scores in the second leg.

I'm not sure what the emoji is for.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:10 am
I'm not sure what the emoji is for.
Nor am I, in all honesty.

Must have snuck in without my realising.

I think, to go back to the matter at hand, that Soucek would in fact be better off in the more defensive role, leaving Rice the opportunity to join attacks. Also, he's more comfortable with the ball at his feet when he has his compatriot Coufal down the right side of the pitch; they have a clear understanding.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

Boring question. I've had my order confirmation for the home leg, but I haven't got the tickets yet.
Is this normal, or should I start panicking?
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

spod wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:44 pm Boring question. I've had my order confirmation for the home leg, but I haven't got the tickets yet.
I think they are being sent tomorrow afternoon
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I haven't got mine either. After the villa match I assume .
Can't wait for Thursday. Might pop to the Boleyn for a pint for old tomes sake .lots of memories so will probably upset me !
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:32 pm I haven't got mine either. After the villa match I assume .
Can't wait for Thursday. Might pop to the Boleyn for a pint for old tomes sake .lots of memories so will probably upset me !
Did Old Tome drink there regularly?
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Got back three hours ago via a flight from Malaga and am so glad to have seen our Sevilla game live. Had five nights out in Spain and saw some great sights in Seville and Malaga as well as the match.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

spod wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:44 pm Boring question. I've had my order confirmation for the home leg, but I haven't got the tickets yet.
I got this email yesterday from the club
Ahead of the Sevilla FC fixture on Thursday 17 March, we wanted to make you aware of a NFC ticketing trial.

This season, we are trialling Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, to make it quicker and easier for you to enter London Stadium on matchdays. The technology has been trialled at some of our recent matchdays, and we’d now like to invite you, as part of a small group, to take part in the trial when we take on Sevilla FC on Thursday 17 March. Your feedback is important to us during this trial, ahead of a complete launch of NFC tickets next season.

You will receive an email on Sunday afternoon from the Ticket Office including your ticket and necessary matchday information for the fixture. With this, you will be able to download the ticket as a NFC ticket, meaning you'll have all you need within your smartphone and will be able to enter London Stadium swiftly and simply with your mobile device.
This will make it easier for me to sneak in with me table!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

A memorable trip. The sight of the Roman Sanchez Pizjuan in full flow is a sight I'll never forget.

I'm not sure if it came across on TV, but for four or five minutes before their goal the crowd were going wild - fully behind their team. It almost felt like they sucked that shot into the back of the net.

The contrast between that and English crowds was depressingly stark. The best we can muster is a couple of brief chants of COYI and Bubbles in such circumstances... and that isn't just down to the stadium. It's a vast cultural difference.

And let's not forget this is a venue without any kind of roof, putting to bed the myth that a stadium requires a roof to create an atmosphere.

The game itself I think we managed well. Had Vlasic taken his chance early doors it would've been a very different game indeed.

Unfortunately we were very poor in the final third. Whereas Sevilla probed patiently, waiting for an opening to arise we kept trying to force one which nearly always led to a wasteful pass or unnecessary concession of possession.

Defensively they gave us surprisingly few problems and given their position in La Liga, I felt we coped admirably. Zouma was clearly uncomfortable for at least the last 25/30 minutes and consequently I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss the Villa game.

On reflection, 1-0 was a decent result for WHU - but I do wonder where the goals we'll need to see us through next week are going to come from.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:26 am On reflection, 1-0 was a decent result for WHU - but I do wonder where the goals we'll need to see us through next week are going to come from.

Agree with all of that, their crowd was something else, certainly nothing I’ve seen in Premier gets near and we need everyone in full voice on Thursday to give our boys anything like that support.
On the playing front I’m in 2 minds, part of me is amazed we are able to give them a game given our recent history, and all credit to Moyes and the players for getting us here, the other part remains frustrated by the wasted January window. The gap between us and Sevilla, a top European club, is 2 or 3 real quality players, it’s that final third attacking difference that makes top teams what they are, and until we bridge that gap we will be nearly but no cigar merchants.
Thursday ranks as one of the best highlights of 50 plus years for me, like thousands of others lucky enough to be in Seville, and thousands more watching at home I want more of that. Just maybe GSB will realise how close we are and work with Moyes to secure players rather than invent cover stories, or perhaps Kretinsky will facilitate the same success here he enjoys in his business life.
We are so close to something special, for once let’s not do the West Ham thing and waste the opportunity 🙏
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Arrived home at 11.30 pm last night after leaving for Malaga on Monday morning.
Am I the last of the Seville stragglers?
Nearly bumped into UTJ at least five times in Torremelinos and once in the stadium but still didn't manage it.
Here's to next time.
Controversial statement I know but I quite liked Torremelinos, especially the Spanish bars/restaurants.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Yarmo is the perfect player to win us the second leg, I've always admired the pure football ability he has.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Re: ⚽ Sevilla v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by The Sherriff »

A great trip, thought our fans were well behaved despite everything that was going on.

As soon as we got to the police cordon outside the ground the atmosphere seemed to change. The police and stewards were antagonising, belittling and deliberately obnoxious to us. As lovely a city as Seville is, it reminds me how just backwards and narrow minded some of these allegedly developed countries are.

Appreciate regulations differ from country to country but I'm pretty sure its illegal not to have running water in any facility that caters for over 3k people. The way end was a complete disgrace.

Nothing new with English clubs or fans getting mistreated by the local authorities, but they were complete c**** to us at the ground. Thought we took it well, all things considered.

The confiscation of belongings and the repatriation exercise of a **** show afterwards was absurd. I didn't see one item get correctly claimed. It was deliberate to provoke a reaction, nobody could be that stupid to implement such a thing.

In the old town after the game, the restaurant we were in closed early as did the whole street. We were told there was trouble outside and they brought down the shutters keeping everyone in, sense it was more to do with police strategy and dispersing crowds.

We flew in and out of Faro, turns out Portugal isnt on CET. Only found this out when we arrived at the airport 3hrs early. Confused the life out of us.

Would have taken 1-0 beforehand, hope its not our last european adventure this season but kinda feel it will be.