UEL16: Sevilla 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Re: ⚽ The Spanish Inquisition -Sevilla FC Vs West Ham United (Match Thread)

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

w4hammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:54 pm anyone else think Declan was quiet/anonymous ( for him ) last night?Stronger in the second however Ive got the sense that we didnt react to rakatic going injured and maybe that was his role to chaperone him and we didnt change our plans?
He'd barely trained all week by the sound of it.

Seemed like the plan was for Soucek to do the running and Rice just to sit and break up play. I think it worked pretty well actually, given that limitation, although I have a sneaking suspicion Rice was the one who missed the unmarked man for the goal. He clearly wasn't 100%.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

w4hammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:54 pm anyone else think Declan was quiet/anonymous ( for him ) last night?Stronger in the second however Ive got the sense that we didnt react to rakatic going injured and maybe that was his role to chaperone him and we didnt change our plans?
Wasn't playing his normal role. We were playing a 4-1-4-1 with him as the 1 at the base of midfield.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

double post
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:13 pm Ah, sorry, I went off of Whoscored. Have never seen that site before, or at least not that I recall.

Appreciate it's not to the point we were discussing, but interesting to note Fornals' defensive contributions - those stats are almost all in 80th percentile or higher for other players in his position.

Cresswell's defensive stats (vs other full backs) are alarming to say the least!
And that's why I've suggested numerous times that Fornals could play a deeper role as one of the two defensive midfielders when we're struggling to play out from the back. His highlight reel when we signed him seemed to be full of clips of him playing a long through ball from deep to start a quick counter. I think out attacking players in front of him would prosper from it.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Metal Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:50 pm Plus he didn't do anything wrong.
Indeed, I thought Areola looked very assured and had a fine game. His distribution is also far better than Fabs.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I thought that Rice had a good game in his best position tbh. Might need him to push forward a bit more next week since were chasing the game of course
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

mushy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:25 pm :gamer:

I can't take your posts seriously when there are no exclamation marks.
Oh yeah?!? :lol:
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

For those old enough to remember it next Thursday needs to replicate the Eintracht Frankfurt semi, or more recently the Ipswich play off semi, absolute wall of noise and a very hostile atmosphere. Sevilla are quality and very experienced, but if we level this up first half and 60,000 are on the case we can go on and do this, they’re not better than Chelsea or Liverpool and we’ve beaten them.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

1895Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:59 pm For those old enough to remember it next Thursday needs to replicate the Eintracht Frankfurt semi, or more recently the Ipswich play off semi, absolute wall of noise and a very hostile atmosphere. Sevilla are quality and very experienced, but if we level this up first half and 60,000 are on the case we can go on and do this, they’re not better than Chelsea or Liverpool and we’ve beaten them.
And for those not enough to remember it.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Spain, lets' be honest, the beers cheap but the food, generally, is terrible, so hat's off to a certain gentlemen on here who booked a nice Italian gaff for lunch yesterday. :newthumb:

Without wishing to introduce too much negativity on what was a great trip for our club, I hope the owners truly grasp the special commitment our supporters make and how much stronger we are when United. Over 3,000 made the trip via Planes, Train and Automobiles- some got good deals, others paid through the nose, but we turned up. We always turn up.

And that's all we have ever asked from our team. Turn up. Run, apply yourselves, try, give it a go, and last night, by and large our lads did that playing a 4-1-4-1 that served us proud in the first half. As ever though we fluffed our lines at critical moments, the moments that can turn a match, and our opponents were more clinical, exposing our zonal marking at a corner kick. Fair play, they are an experienced side in Europe.
Yes, they have their noses in front, but we were not battered, we lost by the odd goal and can still go through if we are at our very best on Thursday.

I hope we progress, our players, after nearly 2 years barely out of the top 6 in the PL, deserve something for their efforts, and our supporters, many of whom who have gone home and away through thin and thinner, could use a pick me up in these troubled times.
We all had a good laugh at Chelsea's expense last night, and why not, when we have been hammered , financially crippled by the opinion of Henry Winter and the stupidity of a bonkers judge, yet they have been allowed to win 21 trophies using stolen money. Almost nobody has said a word against them. Yet the whole world knew. I hope they go bust.

For us though, Thursday night is massive, a huge fixture, a chance at glory for a threadbare squad. I don't care how many players they have coming back from injury.

We're West Ham, and they ain't. We can do it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The only time Sevilla have previously visited London (in this competition) was when they knocked out THFC, 4-3, agg, in the last 8.

That was the season when we got Palermo'd and they (Pal) ended up in the same group as Newcastle, but came third.

Sevilla on the other hand have visited, or played, and beaten more than one or two other English clubs, Man U included.

Couldn't understand the obvious patches in the stands, because you were all making a fantastic noise.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

It's worth pointing out Sevilla have only won 30% of their away matches this season.

They average less than a goal a game away from home, and in European Competition have lost three and drawn one this season.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:51 pm It's worth pointing out Sevilla have only won 30% of their away matches this season.

They average less than a goal a game away from home, and in European Competition have lost three and drawn one this season.
Also worth pointing out that they don't need to win. Might not even need to draw.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Boleyn_Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:06 amOn a side note, I thought the referee was very good last night and let the game flow a fair amount which was a main concern of mine with all the play acting that goes on in La Liga - let’s hope we have another strong ref for Thursday.
I would agree with the ref's performance in the first half, but he made some poor decisions after Sevilla started their gamesmanship - stopping the game when we had possession in their half for their defender to get treatment for f@king an injury - and a non-head injury;
Lansini's booking was soft and even awarding that freekick was inconsistent - Fornals had been fouled the same way a moment before;
booking Rice for helping a player get up!
Then allowing that player who had been f@king such severe hamstring injury that his whole body went rigid and he bucked, screamed and writhed in pain when Rice lifted his shoulders, to walk slowly off (no sign of a limp) turning, applauding the fans as he did so, then stopping and hugging his replacement without a booking.
That two players got booked in this time-wasting incident (and the simulator wasn't one of them!) suggests that the ref had made a poor decision not to stamp it out earlier - En-Nesyri went to ground quite often in the second half, even before the goal.
I thought ouma's booking (for the free-kick that led to the goal had been soft too, he outstretched a leg towards the ball he had miscontrolled and the player running from behind, towards the touchline went over it. Absolutely nothing there to warrant a yellow card.
Sevilla were adjudged to have made a mere three fouls.
I had thought the ref was also very lenient with the wrestling of Dawson at corners too.

And I know it's down to the fourth official, but 3 minutes stoppages was a joke!

Yes. it's nice to see a game flow (if one of the team's isn't being excessively physical (a la Southampton and Brighton games), but I can't applaud the referee if he starts booking one team for mere fouls that he hasn't even been awarding as fouls the other way, nor if he does nothing to deter blatant time-wasting that didn't even get added on.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Vic_Watson wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:23 pm Also worth pointing out that they don't need to win. Might not even need to draw.
What does this even mean?

They definitely need to at least draw, or it goes to extra time.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:30 pm What does this even mean?

I think Vic meant they could fail to score, fail to draw and still take the tie to penalties.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:30 pm What does this even mean?

I’m assuming he isn’t aware that the away goal rule is no longer in place.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:45 pm I’m assuming he isn’t aware that the away goal rule is no longer in place.
Indeed, rookie mistake :crossed:
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Just arrived home after an amazing few days away.
Great time and amazing support,lovely city but that upper tier was a death trap.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:12 pmAs ever though we fluffed our lines at critical moments, the moments that can turn a match, and our opponents were more clinical, exposing our zonal marking at a corner kick. Fair play, they are an experienced side in Europe.
I thought we matched them pretty well & watching at home, our fans were loud & clear. Their fans however, didn't stfu for one minute. Must have been very irritating to listen to, which I suppose is partly the point of it. Just how many f*cking songs have they got?...
Their goal was a real sucker punch. He took it well but a weak goal to concede, imo. Didn't really come from good play by them, just really from us not man marking, which was very disappointing. Moyes got that wrong.
Of course we can win next Thursday but we're going to bloody be up against it with their snide (usually unseen by the ref) little fouls & as Crossd_Hammrs said (I take it'll be the same Ref?), his performance in the second half, if he repeats it.
As you say Pinky, so much more experienced in Europe than us.
Massive night next week. Bowen back?, we'll have a better chance. Wish we didn't have to play this weekend.
As it stands, just 0-1 at half time...
:crest: :hamm: :scarfer: