UEL16: Sevilla 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Green Man
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Re: ⚽ The Spanish Inquisition -Sevilla FC Vs West Ham United (Match Thread)

Post by The Green Man »

James P wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:20 am I was basing my point on the stats I’d seen here.

https://fbref.com/en/players/82927de4/Pablo-Fornals

Admittedly when I’d last checked he was 75% but he’s now upped it to 76% so I’ll hold my hands up there. He’s a 76% player.

Either way, given that he can’t shoot for toffee and barely ever contributes an assist, he seems to be hanging his hat on his passing which is entirely unremarkable. For me he is the clear weak link in our starting eleven and would be the first place I’d be looking to strengthen come through summer.
Fornals dropped off a cliff this season around the birth of his first kid. He's not looked the same player since.
PrinceHisback
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 74 likes

Post by PrinceHisback »

As many others I was proud of the team last night. And I think we really stand a chance. But even if (and there’s a big if) Bowen may be back, Sevilla themselves will probably have an even stronger defence and even more so a MUCH stronger midfield next week.
It will be so much to prove. Certainly no stroll in the park…
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

:D
PrinceHisback wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:22 pm As many others I was proud of the team last night. And I think we really stand a chance. But even if (and there’s a big if) Bowen may be back, Sevilla themselves will probably have an even stronger defence and even more so a MUCH stronger midfield next week.
What would you do to make that midfield MUCH stronger Prince?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

PrinceHisback wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:22 pm As many others I was proud of the team last night. And I think we really stand a chance. But even if (and there’s a big if) Bowen may be back, Sevilla themselves will probably have an even stronger defence and even more so a MUCH stronger midfield next week.
This is exactly it, they will be much stronger next week, have had years of experience in what they need to do to get through to the next round, and will play like Liverpool and Man Citeh when they are a goal up, they will pull and foul us all over and will throw themselves down and roll around any chance they can.

As well as this they are a bloody very good football team and we will need another big performance like the first half last night but with an early goal thrown in to put them under a bit of pressure.

Despite not having the squad to compete properly we are capable of winning if (and it's a big if), we take at least 2 of the three or four chances that we will create.

Not taking our chances has cost us a lot of games this season, there is no more time left now and it's now or never.

Thursday night could end up being one of the best nights since we left the Boleyn if we turn up.

These are the nights we have yearned for almost since 1976.

COYI :crest: :scarfer: :muscle:
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Moyes adamant that we'll score next week. Unusually bullish for him.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:49 pm

These are the nights we have yearned for almost since 1976.
Absolutely :newthumb:
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

The Green Man wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:20 pm What's the Chelsea bankrupt song? :grin:
https://twitter.com/search?q=chelsea%20 ... head_click
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Dont like losing any game,so disappointed,but only a little...
If Scouse can lose in Europe and be OK,then so can we,it's only half time anyway,we're great at coming from behind anyway,
(no not that... :lol: )

Worse than not tucking chances away,is the amount of times we give the ball away in final third,especially the killer ball,an easy
pass/cross often goes astray.....all a bit guilty of that,I don't like calling players out,we and they know who they are.

Shocked Areola started over Fab,if I'm honest,wasn't expecting that,I like him, might be our goalie one day but at moment,in our
most important game in years...Fab starts for me.

Think Dec was pacing himself a bit just doing enough,clever well done.

Great we can hold our own in these games,but to be honest think a top 4 in the PL to a Europa cup win is harder,we play some of the
best sides in Europe practically every other week....City,Scouse,Cheats,Arse,Mancs,Spuds reached a final,Leicester can hold their own.
So shouldn't be worried bout Europe,not really worried who we play TBH,we'll give them a game.

Thing that shows how we've stepped up recently is,Players and Moyes,well everyone is just a little disappointed,good sign,don't
wanna be accepting defeats,with the old "well we played well" S**t you lost,games about winning,need that mentality.

Think we'll do them comfortable next week,gonna be a great night......Whos Next.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

Does anybody know if they’re bringing fans over and, if so, how many?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Nit sure about comfortable. A hard fought win at the 60k rocking bowl. Could be a special night !
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Seville is a wonderful place. We had beautiful weather, great food and drink.

Inside the ground there was a fantastic atmosphere from both sets of fans, best I've come across on our overseas game. We are still very much in this game. I thought we shaded the first half but we were under the cosh after they scored their goal but we held firm. We had chances to score but I'm not criticizing players for not being what they are not. We do not have a genuine no9 in the squad. There is a difference between players who have an inbuilt goal scoring instinct and players who can score goals. We've got several of the latter, but at a level when it's fine margins between success and failure we need the former and have done since Haller was sold. I don't want to hear Moyes moaning about player's finishing. It's his and the club's job to sign one.

We need to come out fast and strong next week. Bowen will make big difference. We can do this :hamm:
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:46 am I’m not interested with the £100m. I am more interested with what he does for West Ham United.
Completely agree, it was a poor choice of words to say that we aren't getting the best out of him by just having him sit. He's been linked with the top teams because of that strength and acceleration to break the lines, as well as his defensive work.

If he does just sit, I think he needs to do more on the ball than just play safe. We can't have 2 centre mids who don't really do anything on the ball if we want to get somewhere in this competition.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

anyone else think Declan was quiet/anonymous ( for him ) last night?Stronger in the second however Ive got the sense that we didnt react to rakatic going injured and maybe that was his role to chaperone him and we didnt change our plans?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

thamesideiron wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:24 pm Shocked Areola started over Fab,if I'm honest,wasn't expecting that,I like him, might be our goalie one day but at moment,in our
most important game in years...Fab starts for me.
I think the deal must have been he is the cup keeper to transition. Dropping him would be really unfair.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

:gamer:
Ironing Board wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:18 pm I think the deal must have been he is the cup keeper to transition. Dropping him would be really unfair.
I can't take your posts seriously when there are no exclamation marks.
weymouth hammer
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by weymouth hammer »

Apparently Chelsky were about to sign Declan Rice yesterday, all they can afford now is chicken fried rice.
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

Can't be too disappointed with a 1-0 defeat away to Sevilla, even if we did have chances to score and their goal was the result of an unnecessary foul.

Next Thursday is the sort of night I've been waiting for my whole life (I'm 29). I know many of you remember our previous European knockout ties, but I think it's even more significant for those who have never had an occasion like this to look forward to. Absolutely cannot wait to be there!
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:18 pm I think the deal must have been he is the cup keeper to transition. Dropping him would be really unfair.
Plus he didn't do anything wrong.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

We need Jan-Oct 2021 Antonio if we are going to stand any chance of winning this competition
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:13 pm Appreciate it's not to the point we were discussing, but interesting to note Fornals' defensive contributions - those stats are almost all in 80th percentile or higher for other players in his position.
I agree. Whilst I’m clearly not his biggest fan, those stats relating to his defensive work are undoubtedly impressive.