England cricket 2022

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Re: England cricket 2022

Post by sendô »

We really are shockingly bad at test cricket right now. We're at late nineties levels of shiteness. I can't remember us ever being so consistently crap game after game. Even when we have a couple of tests where we put some runs on the board we can't take wickets, and then we fall apart at the drop of a hat.

Something needs to change somewhere.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

England have not had a decent spin bowler, by spin bowler, I mean one who can actually spin the ****ing ball, since the legendary, Tony Locke, back in the early 60's. Don't know what he is doing these days, but I think we should pick Locke
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

Root's position as captain clearly untenable now. But I'm almost in the 'probably won't work but give it a go' camp with regards to his successor. Abell and Billings at least have county experience of captaincy, I'd be tempted to give one of them a go for the summer. Even Vince for the same reason. Barrel-scraping times indeed.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

I think Root has to go. Not just for the reason that I believe he isn’t really captain material, but equally that if a new direction needs to be worked on, it needs fresh leaders. Keeping any of the current leadership in their position will only slow down progression. Psychologically for any new players coming in, new management is needed.
Root can be valuable as a senior guiding figure for new batsmen in the dressing room. That’s if he wants to continue playing test cricket ?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

To me there is no one to appoint from within. We cannot load more on Stokes.

Broad or Anderson? Nope.

Seeing as Foakes has not made a cast iron case Buttler may be an option.

Other than that, a successful county captain with test experience - Rory Burns.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Burns seems like a decent shout. He is primarily a long format player. Trouble is being an average level FC batsman doesn’t necessarily rule himself out but being an average FC opener in test cricket is very tough. Get him out cheaply within the first few overs of the start of every series as captain and the opposition are handed a massive shot in the arm from the off.
Bend it like Repka

I would agree but England are in such dire straights we don't seem to have any alternative.

Crawley and Lees have not answered the opener question, I think he was hard done by in OZ.

Root needs to go back to 4 anyway.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:38 am Root needs to go back to 4 anyway.
I read that as "Root needs to be in a back 4". Gives me an idea, maybe we can just swap sportsman, import a few footballers etc since none of our cricketers seem to have the skill, willingness, discipline to cope with Test cricket. Mark Noble to captain England.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:47 amMark Noble to captain England.
He'd make an incredible Test captain, I reckon.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Just a small scan at roots overall captaincy record shows one standout thing for me and that is overall he has failed to convert enough losses to draws. Now I know that sounds really negative, but in series test cricket you have to be able to apply pressure throughout the series. Once you lose you very rarely come back to win a series. It shows very poor fortitude. Since Covid England have played 25 tests and won just 7 and lost 11
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

England Women into the World Cup final, which is no mean feat after 3 defeats on the bounce to open their account. No chance of beating the Aussies but got to grab any crumb of success at the moment!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Yes, after a very poor start, the ladies came storming back and absolutely nailed South Africa in the semi-final.

Should be a good final and hoping that Psycho’s daughter, Kate has another good game.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:23 pm To me there is no one to appoint from within. We cannot load more on Stokes.
I'd go Vince. Hampshire may not be the best team out there, but he at least had some success in the Hundred.

He's a bit of a Bairstow for me... not a top 4 batsmen, but could add a lot coming down the order... with his captaincy experience being a bonus. He's only ever come in top 4 for England in tests.

Haines
Crawley
Bohannon
Root
Stokes
Vince (c)

A bit young I know... especially with the top 3... but at least in Haines and Bohannon you have players who have shown some real runscoring in the Championship in the past couple of years.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Good call to put the aussies in to bat in the women's WC final...they only made 356.
Bend it like Repka

smuts wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 am Good call to put the aussies in to bat in the women's WC final...they only made 356.
Their batting line up is so powerful, that was some total.

Fair play to England, they chased hard and were not humiliated.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

westlondonhammer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:19 pm I'd go Vince. Hampshire may not be the best team out there, but he at least had some success in the Hundred.

Me too. His batting might be a bit suss at test level, but Root and Stokes aside, so everyone else's. As a captain, he'd be a step up from Root.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:15 am Their batting line up is so powerful, that was some total.

Agree with that Bendy, they never gave up and must be some team to come back after losing the first three games of the tournament.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:15 am Their batting line up is so powerful, that was some total.

We made a decent chase of it to be fair. Batting top order of the Aussies is just top notch.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Good to see the county championship back

England potential players watch:
Bracey getting a ton to start the season after a bit of a break (i.e. not touring with England in bubbles purely to carry drinks) - he has a great chance to kick on this season and get a chance in his natural top 3 position and not further down the order
Foakes getting a ton will be good for him after a meh tour of the Caribbean
Haines, Vince, Pope all getting half centuries = decent starts. Especially for Vince and Pope who are batting at 4 so clearly targeting that position in the England team if Root stays at 3
Critchley... a player I admittedly don't know much about and only started look at when he signed for Essex... a nice debut ton for him. I see he got 1000 runs last season at an average of over 40 too. Surely if he carries that on at the more successful club (Essex) and shows his value with his leg spin then England will take notice. There is definitely a spot in our middle order up for grabs... the only secure players in this England side are Stokes and Root...
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Breaking news.

Root stands down as captain

I hope he carries on as the quality batsman he is.

Very interested to see who replaces him.