England cricket 2022

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Re: England cricket 2022

Post by westlondonhammer »

Says he will carry on playing test cricket...a relief as he still has years in him

Surely we'll sort out the coach before naming a captain?

I'm still firmly in the Vince camp
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:31 am Says he will carry on playing test cricket...a relief as he still has years in him

Surely we'll sort out the coach before naming a captain?

I'm still firmly in the Vince camp
I hope it is not Stokes, there is only so much one person can carry. Nasser thinks Broad is a good short term shout, not sure about that.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Broad doing his double tea pot as a fielder doesn't get to the ball isn't a great morale builder...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Not Broad.

It needs to be one of the younger guys.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Bob Key taking over as Director apparently.
westlondonhammer

smuts wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:54 pm Bob Key taking over as Director apparently.
Qualification:
Sky pundit...tick
....hmmm

2 outstanding openers standing out right now in county cricket are Haines and Compton (despite inexperience)...lets hope they keep it up
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I'd give it to Crawley for this summer.
westlondonhammer

Rob Key named Director... lets see how he approaches it

Ben Compton... 2 hundreds (one carrying his bat and 1 in extremely tough circumstances) in a game and 3 tons in a row is an exceptional start
Haines... big double hundred. Around 1500 since the start of last season at an average of over 50.
Bracey... 3rd game in a row with a ton. 177 this time.

If Rob Key is going to be keeping a close eye on county cricket then that could be our new top 3 with Root and Stokes following them. Then captain Vince at 6 :wink:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Rob Key was a fantastic servant of Kent and I always thought he should have played a lot more for England than he did. He doesn’t suffer fools gladly and his comments have got him into trouble in the past. One thing for sure though, Key knows what it takes to be an opening batsman so hopefully he will sort that long-standing issue at least.
Wishing him well, he’s always come across as very likeable and a proper “team” player. He has much work to do though it has to be said, but Good Luck Keysy.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Buttler 29 off 50 in the IPL right now. There is no one better in world cricket when he is motoring. Yes they play on roads etc. but he’s fantastic to watch in the lesser forms of the game.

Same some for England please Jos.

Edit brings up another ton smacking Pat Cummings for six (bonus points) off 59 balls. Took his time and selected who to go after.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:02 am Rob Key was a fantastic servant of Kent and I always thought he should have played a lot more for England than he did. He doesn’t suffer fools gladly and his comments have got him into trouble in the past. One thing for sure though, Key knows what it takes to be an opening batsman so hopefully he will sort that long-standing issue at least.
Wishing him well, he’s always come across as very likeable and a proper “team” player. He has much work to do though it has to be said, but Good Luck Keysy.
Listened to an interesting Skysports cricket podcast in the week. It was recorded between Ashes & Windies series. Key, Athers and Nasser. Key was very vocal...and very critical of Root. Could be a reason why Root stood down? Jump before pushed? Root needs to play on...at 4 - please no more putting him at 3
smuts

Post by smuts »

3 IPL tons for Buttler. Such a shame he can't adapt to red ball cricket.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

smuts wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:31 pm 3 IPL tons for Buttler. Such a shame he can't adapt to red ball cricket.
Been watching the IPL for pretty much the first time, bloke is in magic form, could have lost both recent games after scoring a ton though, RR’s bowling is pretty ropey.

IPL is a funny competition, some works class batting and bowling but some of the fielding (particularly from the non-star local players) is village green.

Oh Kohli out first ball again today, warms the heart.
westlondonhammer

Stokes got the captaincy gig then... looks like Ford is top of the list for test coaches too (with a split role). With regards to Stokes, sometimes the obvious choice is the correct one, lets hope so in this instance.

Stokes intends to bring Anderson and Broad back into the fray too - a bit of a no brainer as it already looks like he is making correct decisions on a PR front, although Broad isn't playing for Notts right now which is an odd one unless he is injured. I'd imagine Robinson, Broad and Anderson will be our 3 going forward and we build around that for the next year.

I just hope that the rest of the team isn't more of the same with the hope they perform better. Burns, Crawley haven't even started the season well while Lees did brilliantly in the first match and then has been missing since. It probably firms up Bairstow staying in the team too... I wonder if he'll be asked to take the gloves again as we look to bring in someone like Pope again?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

As much as I like and still rate Anderson and Broad, bringing them back sends out the wrong signals. We need to draw a line in the sand and move the team forward with a view to competing at the next Ashes. Not clinging on to ageing players that have served us well in the past and might "do a job" for the next few tests.
BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

sendô wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:08 pm As much as I like and still rate Anderson and Broad, bringing them back sends out the wrong signals. We need to draw a line in the sand and move the team forward with a view to competing at the next Ashes. Not clinging on to ageing players that have served us well in the past and might "do a job" for the next few tests.
The obsession with everything being built up to the next Ashes series confuses me - we just did the same thing and ended up losing 4-0 with the team being chopped and changed during the series. Let's win a few tests first then worry about trying to lay a glove on Australia.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I really hope we are not loading too much on Stokes.

I'm happy to still pick Broad and Jimmy, however not together too much. The new manager needs to sit Broad down and tell him this is a squad game and every time he is omitted it's not all about him.
westlondonhammer

As long as Stokes packs in the T20 stuff and focusses primarily on the test team in the short term than I don't really see the problem from a workload perspective. He was always a leader in the dressing room and as vice captain had quite a bit on his plate anyway.

He has to give up the IPL, England T20 team for the next couple of years while he builds a new team / culture that centers around test cricket.

I have no problem seeing Anderson and Broad back. With nobody stepping up in their absence it's easy to see why we can't do without them. Sometime you need to take a step back to take a step forward and I think we need to with them. Also, stop this bloody rotation nonsense for now and give them both a sustained period in the team together again (with Robinson). We should always be going (in home conditions) where possible:
Broad
Anderson
Robinson or a quick (Wood, Stone, Archer etc)
A spinner
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

westlondonhammer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:34 pm We should always be going (in home conditions) where possible:

Broad
Anderson
Robinson or a quick (Wood, Stone, Archer etc)
A spinner
But that then shuts the door on Mahmood for example until one of the oldies retires.

If they both decide to stop at the same time we will be buggered.
BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

I don't get the Robinson hype. My main hope would be to get Archer back fighting fit, with hopefully a captain who doesn't overbowl him. I also think our lack of quality spinner (we do need to give Parkinson a chance) means we can afford to start blooding Stone/Mahmood in teams with Broad and Anderson.