West Ham Utd 2-1 Aston Villa (13/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

West Ham Utd 2-1 Aston Villa (13/3/22)

Post by paulhs1 »

Sunday 13th March
14.00 kick off

Both clubs played their full strength teams on the Thursday and I think it likely that Villa may rest a few for this game.

I'd bring in Fabianski, Diop, Benrhama, Noble and Masuaku and rest Areola, Dawson, Vlasic, Soucek and Fornals.

We need 3 points if we are to keep alive our top 6 aspirations.

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: West Ham Utd V Aston Villa: Match Thread

Post by hammers92 »

If you offered me a 5-0 defeat to beat Sevilla I’d snap your arm off.

Couldn’t care less 🤷‍♂️
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Reserves and kids.

This is the West Ham I grew up supporting. The cup is all that matters.

This Europa stuff is there to be won.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

My only reservation with that is that I feel there’s a few that need to play their way back into form/confidence.

All eggs in one basket tends to end up with an omelette on the floor….
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:34 pm Reserves and kids.

This is the West Ham I grew up supporting. The cup is all that matters.

This Europa stuff is there to be won.
Ark at you getting all sentimental in your old age......you're probably right though :coolas:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

need for the lads at the sharp end to get back on track

hatrick for Mikey or a couple will do, a goal for Benni, or Vlasic, a decent game for Fornals who's been absolutely shyte recently and another goal for Big Tom, clean sheet for us...

that's what we need going into Thursday.

putting in the kids even if they win 5-0 isn't going to change much for Thursday as they won't be on the field.

little bit of confidence from the first XI won't go amisss

Villa giving a piss poor Leeds a shellacking tonight isn't going to make them come in feeling like the underdogs...
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:27 pm If you offered me a 5-0 defeat to beat Sevilla I’d snap your arm off.

Couldn’t care less 🤷‍♂️
Well chucking this game doesn't get us into the quarter finals let alone win the europa league.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

There’s a few he can bring in to start in this tbh. Some of our squad players doesn’t mean we are throwing the game. He has Fredericks, Diop, Masuaku, Noble, Kral, Benrahma and possibly Yarmolenko who didn’t start tonight. Hopefully Bowen is fit for Thursday, but I’d look to make 3/4 changes here.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:49 pm Well chucking this game doesn't get us into the quarter finals let alone win the europa league.
Giving everyone a week off gives us a better chance. Seriously, why would anyone care about Sunday?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:54 pm Giving everyone a week off gives us a better chance. Seriously, why would anyone care about Sunday?
Because we want to qualify for Europe next season.

We need to win this game. Especially as if we lose that's 4 defeats in a row. Can't be good for morale.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:55 pm We need to win this game.
Not as much as we need to win the next one.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I’d love to qualify for Europe again and have more games like we had tonight so i’d like us to play a strong side. Moyes will do that anyway I think

I’m also a pessimist and don’t think us resting our players will make a difference to the result of the tie anyway
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:54 pm Giving everyone a week off gives us a better chance. Seriously, why would anyone care about Sunday?
Because we have been fighting on multiple fronts all season. Why would we ditch this game and throw away a chance to to finish 5th or 6th. We have worked incredibly hard to get where we are are.

Making the whole season about Thursday. 4 days between villa and Sevilla. The 5 nil vs Sevilla win isn't a real choice. We have to go for both.

Certainly anyone who is shot shouldn't play Sunday- maybe Rice and Antonio. But that's because their performance will drop vs villa.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:55 pm Because we want to qualify for Europe next season.

We need to win this game. Especially as if we lose that's 4 defeats in a row. Can't be good for morale.
I’d love to qualify next year, 7th and the conference league would be cracking.

Football is for the memories, the moments, that game where you all look back on. That’s not going to be Villa but beat Sevilla and that’ll last a long time.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

:?

Because it is an important game in our quest to finish top 6 once again.

I'm pretty sure the fans who shelled out their hard earned money to go watch it will damn well care.

You may well not care but I can asure you many others do. The day West Ham start saying sod it to ANY game because they feel another is the be all and end all is the day I stop caring.

How about simply trying to win each and every game we play.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Suspect a few of the team can play both games - but would rather not risk Antonio personally. He was scaring Sevilla’s defence in the first half today and we need him and his A-game next Thursday.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

brothernero wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:03 pm :?

Because it is an important game in our quest to finish top 6 once again.

I'm pretty sure the fans who ****ed out their hard earned money to go watch it will damn well care.

You may well not care but I can asure you many others do. The day West Ham start saying sod it to ANY game because they feel another is the be all and end all is the day I stop caring.

How about simply trying to win each and every game we play.
I’ve got mates out there tonight and they’ve shelled out a lot mate so I’m not having that.

Can only repeat what I’ve said already. We live for the moment, not trying to finish 6th and then go out next year to try finish 6th again.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

D C wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 pm I’d love to qualify for Europe again and have more games like we had tonight so i’d like us to play a strong side. Moyes will do that anyway I think

I’m also a pessimist and don’t think us resting our players will make a difference to the result of the tie anyway
It's all about, playing smart. We can both rest some players whilst at the same time playing just enough of the first team to get us the 3 points against Villa.

Fab for Areola is the easiest decision to make, you've then got Bowen who will hopefully be fit for Sevilla so he will be one of the first 11 rested. Benrhama can come in for Vlasic, Masuaku for Fornals, Noble for Soucek.

I'd start rest Dawson but you could give him and Zouma 45 minutes each.

Theres other options too with Frederick's for Johnson or Yarmo also.

Time for Moyes to show some flexibility with the squad and hopefully get us 2 wins in 4 days.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Gerrard has said tonight at the post game presser that they have their sights on West Ham. said we might not be a target short term but they've shown that the likes of Villa can achieve the same thing. they've had a tough game tonight we've had a tough game tonight so we'll see what Sunday brings.

I paraphrased but that's what I took from it. so they'll be up for Sunday. 4-0 tonking won't do us any good come Thursday, and binning this one off, hoping we can win the EL and qualify for the CL next season is a big ask. stay up in the top 6 and then if we DO win the EL that will give us a HUGE boost for anyone we have our sights on in the summer window.

shame we didn't sign anyone in January to help out......
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Not having what?

If your mates who went out there tonight say the same as you then they are being bloody ridiculous just the same as you.

It's one thing to say If you had a choice what game you as a fan would prefer to win, that is fine, I am sure we would all say the one v Seville.

But you are saying Moyes should completely bin the Villa game off and that in your words "Who cares about Sunday"

Stupid.

Thankfully Moyes and the team will not be thinking the same.
Last edited by brothernero on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.