West Ham Utd 2-1 Aston Villa (13/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Aston Villa: match thread

Post by S-H »

Brummie Bellends.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:14 pm They're largely correct. They are two reasonable well-drilled sides with a similarish level of ability. We have a better manager than they do, we also have one of the best player's in the league. Aside from that there wasn't a huge amount in it and they have definitely improved since we played them at Villa Park.

However, it's sad that they can't see what most can. That they are a team if players who hit the deck very easily, who immeidately time-waste and who hae been doing it for the last 2 seasons. Every team in the league is guilty of it to differing levels, but every time I see Villa their players are on the deck in seconds. We have a big physical side. That's nothing to be ashamed of. I don't think they were complaining when they had Heskey and Carew up front, or when Andy Gray was taking lumps out of defenders every week.

Our two goals were very good 'footballing goals'. Just because your team has already decided that they aren't able to live with us physically before they turn up doesn't make us thugs. It just means that your players didn't 'want' it as much as ours. Which was evident yesterday.
I don't buy that similar levels of ability. the league positions don't lie 20/21 we were 10 points better and crucially Villa finished in the bottom half of the league, this season we are 12 points better off, thats with a far more demanding schedule.
Also I can't think of one player in the Villa side who I would want to replace one of ours save for Matt Cash and even then peak Coufal is as good.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

smuts wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:47 pm Team of thugs :lol:
I was wondering the exact same thing Smuts. Couple of those oppo views about us being dirty and thuggish.....got me thinking....

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Really, really bothers me we went on holiday when they needed a result on the last day. Should’ve sent them packing.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Our least physical player scored the goal which set us on our way.

I get that he’s six foot plus but a stiff wind has knocked Yarma over in the past. His left foot, however, is a magic wand with more skill than most villa players have in both legs.

‘Thugs’, my arse
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

OFT wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:03 am I broke my own 'rule' this morning, and watched 'our bit' of MOTD. Thought the whole situation re; Yarmo was so moving it was worth taking in again, and, to be fair, Ian Wright had the mood correctly. Then Murphy, as you say, couldn't resist the 'lets get Declan to Liverpool/Man City, Wherever United, etc. Can't help himself.

Lesson re-learned.
Back to not watching.
Download the Sky TV app. You can watch [shorter-than-I’d-like] highlights of every PL match fairly soon after full time. Alternatively, they also stick them all on their YouTube account.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

spod kindly posted a link to the full game over at the streaming links today if anyone like me didn't get to watch..

:newthumb:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

OV’s had steadily become more rational and balanced in recent weeks, so it’s really refreshing to see Villa usher in a return to myopic, delusional gibberish.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:35 pm Really, really bothers me we went on holiday when they needed a result on the last day. Should’ve sent them packing.
Nah keep them in the league, take our 6 points every season.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

davids cross wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:27 pm I remember him well. He will keep saying it till it comes true.... :crylol:

" West Ham's journey is likely to return to mid-table soon. "
At least we can return to mid-table, instead of being stuck there. Their fans are delusional. Remember when we beat them 4-1 earlier this season and the comments were about how none of our players get in their team and they should be challenging the top 6?
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Just watched the first half rerun posted in the streaming thread. Being a bit sad, I actually totted up all the stoppages for their players' 'injuries'.

They totalled 9 mins (although 1 min of that was after the 45). The board went up during that stoppage with just 4 mins added (should have been 8) and he actually played 5 additional (so he seemed to have added the 1 min that accrued in the last stoppage) but that means the additional time was 3 mins short of the time they used up.

Job done for Villa and enabled by the utterly inept official.
Paolopaul

Post by Paolopaul »

Villa have the same issue as Spurs, in that their fans think their players are better than they are.

Moyes has set an excellent tone for us here, appreciating we are doing well whilst constantly demanding improvement.
Paolopaul

Post by Paolopaul »

Sir_Trevor wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:46 pm Just watched the first half rerun posted in the streaming thread. Being a bit sad, I actually totted up all the stoppages for their players' 'injuries'.

They totalled 9 mins (although 1 min of that was after the 45). The board went up during that stoppage with just 4 mins added (should have been 8) and he actually played 5 additional (so he seemed to have added the 1 min that accrued in the last stoppage) but that means the additional time was 3 mins short of the time they used up.

Job done for Villa and enabled by the utterly inept official.
Inept indeed! Surely you learn to stop the clock for injuries on day one of refereeing school.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

"West Ham are the team who benefited most from no fans. It enabled Moyes to get his style of play across without constant boos from the stands. No chance he turns them around like he has with fans in, the majority didn’t want him back. "

:?

But the fans are back in and he has. We are 6th and still in Europe.

That was one of the funniest OV's I have read in quite a while.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:08 pm The opposition view: Aston Villa
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136784
Evenly matched teams?

They were the worst team at our place this season. I thought they were awful.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

smuts wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:58 am Sickening that they bring in a rule for player safety and straight away certain teams exploit it.

Happened on Thursday evening as well, we were knocking on the door and suddenly one of their defenders is laying on the penalty spot clutching his head. 4 minutes later they've reset, etc and have taken all our momentum.

Make it that if a player goes down with a "head injury" then they have to go off the pitch to the dressing room for a minimum 5 minute check. That'll soon stop it...
I agree with this way forward.
What this does is make it look like the FA are taking it even more seriously. Not taking the risk for what must be a serious head injury with a player down on the floor holding his head. Immediately remove them from the field of play for thorough medical analysis in the medical room. As you quite rightly say, the play acting will stop immediately and more importantly those seriously injured will get the appropriate attention.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Oh, and if play is stopped as a result of the injury and not a foul, a drop ball doesn’t seem appropriate or fair to the team who has lost all momentum. A player being hurt via an accidental incident shouldn’t act as a moment to penalise the players of the opposition.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:01 pm quite interesting tbf

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/art ... jury-time/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wo ... naccurate/

As is this.
Our findings confirmed what avid fans already know: Actual stoppage time is a wildly inaccurate measure of how long the game was actually stopped. The average added time flashed on the board for these 32 games was 6:59, which includes both halves. By our calculations — which adhered to FIFA’s rules on the matter — the time that should have been added to each game was 13:10. This means stoppage time was roughly half of what it should have been for most games.
I don't really blame the refs to be honest, it's a pain in the arse of a job to assign to them given everything else they have to account for. Why not have a timekeeper keeping track of this for them and let them concentrate on the game? If the main reason is another one of FIFAs stupid "the game should be the same at every level" arguments then I await my new £300k a week deal for turning out for my next Power League appearance.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

smuts wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:58 am Sickening that they bring in a rule for player safety and straight away certain teams exploit it.

Happened on Thursday evening as well, we were knocking on the door and suddenly one of their defenders is laying on the penalty spot clutching his head. 4 minutes later they've reset, etc and have taken all our momentum.

Make it that if a player goes down with a "head injury" then they have to go off the pitch to the dressing room for a minimum 5 minute check. That'll soon stop it...
Nobody is taking advantage of anything new to be fair. I haven't played organised 11 a side in almost 15 years and even back then the from my awful level up to the top was that the ref stopped play if he thought there was a head injury.

I do think Villa and Spanish Villa have had a couple of very handily timed "head injuries" in recent games though