West Ham Utd 2-1 Aston Villa (13/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Re: West Ham Utd V Aston Villa: Match Thread

Post by pablo jaye »

First time I’ve been tithe OS since covid and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought we played well considering that we have such a thin squad and have looked pretty knackered recently.

Lots of good performances - Zouma, Fab, Soucek, Rice to name a few - Johnson looked better at LB but still put in a good shift at RB; Benrahma kept going at them and was rewarded with his 2 assists; but 2 Motms for me were Dawson who did some great defending but also his long cross field passes helped at some crucial times, including Yarmo’s goal. Yarmo was my other Motm - a superbly taken goal and he seemed to offer more than Antonio. As for Yarmo’s reception and ovation after he scored - wonderful, spine tingling stuff and brought a tear to the eye.

I went with a mate who doesn’t support us - he was really impressed by our game, passing, moving and the build up to both goals. He, like me, thought Villa were v poor - quite aside from their play acting to break up the play.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

pablo jaye wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:50 am First time I’ve been to the OS since covid and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought we played well considering that we have such a thin squad and have looked pretty knackered recently.

Lots of good performances - Zouma, Fab, Soucek, Rice to name a few - Johnson looked better at LB but still put in a good shift at RB; Benrahma kept going at them and was rewarded with his 2 assists; but 2 Motms for me were Dawson who did some great defending but also his long cross field passes helped at some crucial times, including Yarmo’s goal. Yarmo was my other Motm - a superbly taken goal and he seemed to offer more than Antonio. As for Yarmo’s reception and ovation after he scored - wonderful, spine tingling stuff and brought a tear to the eye.

I went with a mate who doesn’t support us - he was really impressed by our game, passing, moving and the build up to both goals. He, like me, thought Villa were v poor - quite aside from their play acting to break up the play.
My first time back too.

Agree with everything you've said Pablo. I'd just add that Antonio was a disgrace before he went off. One of the worst individual performances I've seen in years.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Aston Villa: match thread

Post by hammerman11 »

Antonio is trying hard yo get his levels back but it seems the more he tries to force it the worse he gets. A result of no alternative and playing too much !

Atmosphere was poor intil yarmo arrived.

Will be better on Thursday and needs to be !
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:16 pm Why do people keep saying Benny was rubbish except for the assists?
He wasn't really

He started off very well. Made some space for himself in the box and got off q decent shot early doors. Goosed a defender with a stepover and then had a shot for a corner and then out in the best ball of the first half similar to the one v Palace which Soucek nearly got on the end of

All in first 15 minutes

He then had a bit of an iffy spell similar to most of the team for rest of the first half

He then played well again second half

He has great strength of character as he is always looking for the ball and never hides, even when things are not going his way
:thup:
Having watched the full rerun of the game last night I'm a bit puzzled by the negative comments towards Benrahma myself Crouchend :eh:
Yes he gave the ball away a few times but only twice it could have proven costly if Villa had advanced a fair distance up the pitch and scored. Other times we retrieved the ball straight away, so no damage was done.
I noted Fornals and Lanzini were just as sloppy with some of their misplaced passes at times, even super Dec was guilty of it once.
At least Benrahma didn't let his head drop and hide, he kept showing for the ball which is testament to his character that he wants to do well if he's given his chance.
A few have said that his two assists were easy passes but I have to disagree. His 1st to Yarmolenko when Yarmo himself was surrounded by a few Villa players was played in with a bit of pace. Whether that was intentional or if he overhit it slightly, only Benrahma knows, but it certainly didn't give the Villa defenders a chance to step out and nick the ball. Yarmolenko showed a sublime 1st touch and then a quality finish to dispatch his goal.
The 2nd assist even had co commentator Lee Hendrie saying what a lovely cut back it was for Fornals and that some players may have been tempted to fizz the ball across goal.
With Antonio and Bowen missing in attacking areas for possibly a few games, hopefully Benrahma and Yarmolenko will take their opportunities now and prove to everyone that they are two very good players on a consistent basis, rather than the brief glimpses we've only seen so far :crest:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Gerrard really have the cheek to say the second half was 'more stop start' when his team had 6 head injuries in the first half.
Sawbo
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Sawbo »

Doubtless those deluded souls on the OV will say that they were victims of thuggery and bullying 😀😀
Bubbles Fortuna

Before Murphy insisted that Rice will play for a 'more successful side' they were doing an interesting piece on our defending.

Clearly shows the managerial experience difference between Moyes and Gerrard. We put Rice on Coutinho, completely nullified him, he came deep but then Rice didn't chase him, we kept our shape and Coutinho did nothing.

Was interesting to see us defend in two banks of four with Lanzini and Antonio as a front two.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:16 pm Seriously though, what have Villa become!? Gerrard should’ve been ashamed.
:
Grealish was renowned for it wasn’t he. Remember last season (or it might of been the one before) he was on the floor more than on his feet, rolling around, diving, play acting, feigning injury, trying to get players booked or sent off, trying to get a free kick or an advantage. I remember Rice saying something about it after the game and Dean Smith had to defend Grealish in his post-match interview.

I thought Villa might of moved on and cut it out of their game but you can see from yesterday that they haven’t changed. Quite strange as you’d think Gerrard would of sorted that out straight away.
Bubbles Fortuna

I've not seen much of Man City and particularly Grealish, but whenever I have seen him he seems to have massively cut down on the cheating.

When we played Aston Villa he was constantly on the floor, clutching the wrong knee or his, now though, he's still a bit easy to go down but nothing compared to his time at Villa.

Turns out Villa were the problem.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:26 pm There were two standout moments for me, Yarmo’s goal and then the crunching Rice tackle that led to the second.
If you look closely, that “crunching Rice tackle” was actually the Villa player (Bailey) throwing himself to the floor because Rice was standing near him.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

LeonRivers wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:02 am If you look closely, that “crunching Rice tackle” was actually the Villa player (Bailey) throwing himself to the floor because Rice was standing near him.
I've been mulling this over since our victory.

Part of me enjoys the win still more, if we've beaten cheats, but, on the other hand, I am getting this feeling that cheating has become tolerated not simply by the coaches (Dean Smith and Gerrard seem to have the same approach with much the same players) and players, but by the officials, commentators and fans of the club itself.

It makes following our club a 'once remove' situation, in that I am pleased that we are still doing well, winning more than we lose etc, but have this competing pleasure that I am not paying any money towards the game any more.

It has lost its heart, frankly.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

The Villa crowd were quite loud first half - but we were flat as a pancake. After Yarmo came on it all changed.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

:chin:
steps wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:24 am

I thought Villa might of moved on and cut it out of their game but you can see from yesterday that they haven’t changed. Quite strange as you’d think Gerrard would of sorted that out straight away.
You thought that one of the biggest divers in premier League history would seek to change the cheating tactics that have helped establish Villa back as a Premier League club?
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

I thought everyone played well yesterday.
So happy for yarmolenko. Really hoped he would score.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

yet no one gets punished as the "head injury" is the new dive !
I am glad we are a fairly honest team. antonio stretches it sometimes as goes down a lot but otherwise we are an honest bunch.

good to see rice taking ball to the corner at the end, game management tactics. we are learning !

I hope the goal will make fornals play better. we need big games from him benrahma yarmo if they are filling in for the injured players.

crowd will be the 12th and 13th man on Thursday. cant wait.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Had a few villa fans sit next to me in the pub after the game. Really nice fellas to be fair and they weren’t happy with their players holding their heads too. Told them it’s embarrassing and they had to agree.

So happy for yarmolenko to get that goal
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:21 am Before Murphy insisted that Rice will play for a 'more successful side' they were doing an interesting piece on our defending.

Clearly shows the managerial experience difference between Moyes and Gerrard. We put Rice on Coutinho, completely nullified him, he came deep but then Rice didn't chase him, we kept our shape and Coutinho did nothing.

Was interesting to see us defend in two banks of four with Lanzini and Antonio as a front two.
Not long ago we were wringing our hands about the loss of Ogbonna and the use of 'third choice' Dawson. We don't comment often enough on the fact that we are superbly well-organised. I have real confidence in our defence now.

People still talk every week in surprised tones about about how poor our latest opponents were against us. You think they'd cotton on that the reason for this is that we don't let teams play. We're still work our arses off - something that goes unnoticed on here sometimes - and it's been key to our success.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Sickening that they bring in a rule for player safety and straight away certain teams exploit it.

Happened on Thursday evening as well, we were knocking on the door and suddenly one of their defenders is laying on the penalty spot clutching his head. 4 minutes later they've reset, etc and have taken all our momentum.

Make it that if a player goes down with a "head injury" then they have to go off the pitch to the dressing room for a minimum 5 minute check. That'll soon stop it...
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:21 am Before Murphy insisted that Rice will play for a 'more successful side' they were doing an interesting piece on our defending.
I broke my own 'rule' this morning, and watched 'our bit' of MOTD. Thought the whole situation re; Yarmo was so moving it was worth taking in again, and, to be fair, Ian Wright had the mood correctly. Then Murphy, as you say, couldn't resist the 'lets get Declan to Liverpool/Man City, Wherever United, etc. Can't help himself.

Lesson re-learned.
Back to not watching.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

I sometimes wonder if this is actually true or just passages of play they freeze to make it look like we had a plan.