UEL16: West Ham Utd 2-0 Sevilla (17/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1155 likes
Total likes: 665 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Sevilla: match thread (2nd leg)

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

simonirons wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:37 pm Who spotted Kaz up in the directors box doing some kind of f*ck knows what jig
Yes I did. Also noted a lot of empty seats around her.

Last night won’t have done any harm to our chances of attracting a real full blown football club owner if one is needed next year.

Also, did anyone notice that Irvine was back, and on the pitch during full time/ extra time interval?
👍🇨🇿🇺🇦
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 491 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:58 pm Yes I did. Also noted a lot of empty seats around her.

Last night won’t have done any harm to our chances of attracting a real full blown football club owner if one is needed next year.

Also, did anyone notice that Irvine was back, and on the pitch during full time/ extra time interval?
👍🇨🇿🇺🇦
Thought that was him during the warm up!
hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Got home too late to post last night and been busy working today.

Wow, just wow. Still buzzing.

I’ve posted before about wanting to take my dad to a West Ham cup final with him, me and my two sons - all together supporting West Ham in a memorable game.

I still want to do that (obviously) - but last night felt pretty close to that. Pretty emotional and sure I saw my old man wipe away a tear or two as his two grandsons hugged him at the final whistle.

The emotional connection between family, friends, player, manager and supporters is what supporting West Ham is about. Special night.
Last edited by hammer1975 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Pete647580 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:24 am How are we not all over the back page of every paper? Apparently the big story last night is Everton beating Newcastle 1-0.
I could be wrong as I only watched it in bits this morning, but I don't think BBC Breakfast were that enthusiastic either.
hammers92
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:42 pm I could be wrong as I only watched it in bits this morning, but I don't think BBC Breakfast were that enthusiastic either.
Do we really care?
Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

simonirons wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:37 pm Who spotted Kaz up in the directors box doing some kind of f*ck knows what jig
Maybe the cheeseboard was finally up there with the one at Arsenal a few seasons back?
Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:43 pm Do we really care?
Do you know what h92, you're right.

Suits me just fine playing this sort of football under the radar.
WCpete
Has liked: 1396 likes
Total likes: 3055 likes

Post by WCpete »

Watched stretches of the match again last night, and it sort of feels like Sevilla just didn't do their homework on us. Or they thought they'd be able to cruise through. They left Antonio to his own devices for long stretches. I don't think he's had that kind of freedom to move for ages. And they frequently gave Fornals and Benrahma a cushion to receive the ball in the middle 3rd. It looked like they thought they thought they could shut us out on our own patch, but we always score at home. I get why in the OV their fans are fuming with Lope. He got it all wrong.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm just really pleased that I watched it and we still played well and won. The curse is broken.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3635 likes
Total likes: 2319 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Watching the game back on TV we played even better than I thought we did watching live.

Every single player was at least a 7 or 8. We looked like we’ve been playing in European competition for years.
WCpete
Has liked: 1396 likes
Total likes: 3055 likes

Post by WCpete »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:37 pm Watching the game back on TV we played even better than I thought we did watching live.

Every single player was at least a 7 or 8. We looked like we’ve been playing in European competition for years.
A big difference I noticed was that there was no panic on the ball. We were composed, patient and almost always chose the best ball available to maintain control. Very professional and well orchestrated performance.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

just when the team were on the pitch at the end, my stream ended.

just about saw Noble jump on Rice's back and then that was it..

followed up thankfully when people started posting Twitter, I know it's a curse in general, but the tears in Nobles eyes....WOW... cheers Skipper for everything.

the Cole and Cole duo someone posted was brilliant. even though he spent all those years at the West End mob, he's still C & B thru and thru. and Carlton. what can you say about the lad that hasn't been said.

Declan's post game presser......could hardly stop smiling. was a real skipper's performance last night from him.

glad for Yarmo too.

how can you NOT love this team ?

or the coaching staff. they must absolutely love going into work every day. what a team Moyesey has assembled.
OFT
Has liked: 2953 likes
Total likes: 1745 likes

Post by OFT »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:44 pm And for those of you who prefer KUMB's carefully curated, fully edited OV, here it is:

The opposition view: Sevilla
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136807
Ta UTJ, good work, although to be fair, if it had still been in Spanish it would have made more sense than most of the Aston Villa OV
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:58 pm Yes I did. Also noted a lot of empty seats around her.
Apparently she was social distancing - not because of COVID but because no one wanted to go near her due to her being an odious human being
BigFatSam
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Great watch, I’ve watched this a thousand times

Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

WCpete wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:46 pm A big difference I noticed was that there was no panic on the ball. We were composed, patient and almost always chose the best ball available to maintain control. Very professional and well orchestrated performance.
We are extremely composed in the first third of the pitch and our movement and control are excellent. It would be great if we could do it in the final third.
Noble Man
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Noble Man »

Left the house at 4am yesterday and not long home.

Unbelievable experience and can't really add to what everyone has posted. Looking forward to have a few and reliving the whole thing again.

Friends have been in contact all day - none of them support WH but all have said the atmosphere coming over on TV was amazing.

Very, very proud of the manager, players and fans!!

:crest:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 611 likes
Total likes: 638 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:32 pm .... It was one of those nights that will be spoken about forever there's a West Ham United Football Club. It was that special. We made history.
Really delighted you were able to go mate. :thup:
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

:chin: Last comment on the oppo view:

‘Yarmolenko is a pepinazo of a player’
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:42 pm I could be wrong as I only watched it in bits this morning, but I don't think BBC Breakfast were that enthusiastic either.
We should care. A British side doing well in Europe should be publicised and applauded whatever the team. However, ALL media outlets seem to begrudgingly mention our success. Its not even transparent. If its not seen as making them more money, as usual, the only news is that which fills the coffers.