UEL16: West Ham Utd 2-0 Sevilla (17/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Sevilla: match thread (2nd leg)

Post by sutts07 »

Well that was pretty good wasn't it...!

Game was as tight as I expected it to be but the performance from West Ham was far beyond any expectations.
Areola made a worldy of a save and looked very assured.
The whole of the back four were disciplined, didn't get wound up by any histrionics and stuck to the plan.
Rice and Soucek were immense in everything that was asked of them.
Lanzini, Fornals and Benrahma stuck at it and played with a belief that it was just going to happen.
Antonio didn't stop.
Yarmo came on and showed his experience and class.
To a man, they cannot be faulted.

And the fans, nothing more that can be said, it was absolutely rocking over there. A truly epic night watching WHU under the lights. That one will live very long in the memory.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I don't know about you lot but I'm still buzzing. That was amazing. Coming back like that in that style.

Back in 1990 I went with my Arsenal supporting brother to Highbury to watch them play Liverpool. Every loose ball was seized confidently by an Arsenal team who went on to win 3-0.

As I watched last night I realised I was watching something similar. At that point I just felt we would win. It kind of looked like luck in both games that the ball kept coming back but it wasn't luck, it was worked on, and we got our just rewards.

Apologies to anyone horrified that I went to the old library.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I was as proud of the crowd as much as the team. Credit where credit is due, you lads that went motivated the team like a shot in the arm, only wish I could have been there. Respect :wolfy:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:13 am It has taken me near enough 10hrs for the whole occasion & the magnitude of what we did last night to sink in. We have knocked out a real experienced, quality side in Sevilla, & for the most part we dominated.

Over the two legs, without doubt we were the better side. 1st half last night 50/50. They couldn't live with us over the 120 mins, we bossed the 2nd half & into extra time they were dying on their feet. They were hanging on for penalties. They couldn't live with us. Our fitness levels are unbelievable & all praise must go to Moyes, Nolan, Pearce & the rest of the backroom staff. They have created a team, with steeliness & a never say die attitude. We must be an absolute f**ker to play against. But saying that, we also play some real good football as well. Perfect combo.

Such a fantastic night & we should fear no one in this competition.

'You fight, we fight harder'.

COYI :hamm:

I am surprised by how good Rangers look
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

Today I’ve got a very sore head.

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:28 am I am surprised by how good Rangers look
Since SG left? :crylol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

3 Academy graduates on the pitch at the final whistle last evening.

What must the kids on the bench have thought of that.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Cannot concentrate on anything else this morning. Me & the 4 year old sang bubbles all the way to school this morning, came back and caned the papers, snorting with satisfaction with every compliment and platitude. Checked twitter to respond to all the tw*ts who sneered we'd lose after the first leg. Swapping messages with other WH mates. The best morning I can remember in a LONG time.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

😎

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Right come on then, who has an angry missus because they came in singing? :five:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Did Declan pick up a yellow last night? A few people seemed to think he did, but I don't remember him being booked for lightly touching En-Nesyri's shoulder (what an absolute helmet that bloke is, by the way).
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Speaking of which, this quote from our Manager before the match last night:

"Am I a fan of the dark arts? I’m not. This is a gentleman’s sport. In some way we’re all desperate to win and we’d kick your granny to try to get a result. But in the same breath, I think behind it all, you want to win in a fair and correct fashion"

:clap:
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:48 am Did Declan pick up a yellow last night? A few people seemed to think he did, but I don't remember him being booked for lightly touching En-Nesyri's shoulder (what an absolute helmet that bloke is, by the way).
Nope, Cresswell & Lanzini
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

I haven't been to the London Stadium for years as I live abroad. Fortunately, I was able to get tickets for yesterday as I'm back home due to family circumstances.

WHAT. A. NIGHT. Incredible atmosphere and the team matched it with a fantastic performance.

They've never lost to an English team until they turned up at the LS. Incredible. Moyes and the lads have achieved so much and it just gets better and better. Love Moyes and Love this team.

COYFI
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Does anyone know where I can find detailed stats for last night? Distance covered by each player, pass completion % etc?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

A night to remember, in pictures
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136803
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:58 am A night to remember, in pictures
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136803
Excellent, some great shots in there. :newthumb:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Right, it's the next day and I'm still not sure I can believe that performance.

It wasn't just that we came from behind to beat the tournament favourites, a team sitting 2nd in La Liga, it's the way we did it. We utterly dominated that team from start to finish. Seville had one good chance all match, En Nesri's shot that Areola saved superbly. They had a bit of a period second half of the first half, then 10 mins or so second half, but other than that it was all us, dominating them and pressing them back.

In extra time you could see they were shell shocked, not knowing how to deal with us and clinging on hoping for penalties.

They even hooked Rakitic early second half as he could not get into the match.

We had excellent performances all through our team, but Antonio was the pick. Their defence were rabbits in the headlights with no idea how to deal with him. Also excellent were Soucek, Fornals and Benrahma. The tactic of having Rice and Lanzini deep nicking the ball and setting up attacks whilst letting Soucek roam into the box as a second striker was a good one too.

Zouma and Dawson also excellent. Craig Dawson was getting relegated with Watford not long ago. We only signed him because we couldn't get Tarkowski. Now he's snuffing out Seville's strikers and getting us into the EL QF.

Special mention to the referee who was shocking all match, giving them a free kick every time they fell over under the slightest touch.

Bring on the QF. If we can play like that every game we'll fear noone.

:crest:
Sergei
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by Sergei »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:01 am Excellent, some great shots in there. :newthumb:
Agreed. Just need to tweak the caption on the photo before Yarmo's winner. It was Pablo's shot that was spilled not Antonio's of course.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:39 am Cannot concentrate on anything else this morning. Me & the 4 year old sang bubbles all the way to school this morning, came back and caned the papers, snorting with satisfaction with every compliment and platitude. Checked twitter to respond to all the tw*ts who sneered we'd lose after the first leg. Swapping messages with other WH mates. The best morning I can remember in a LONG time.
Same here, no work is getting done, I think I have replied to about 3 emails.
I am consuming everything about the match. I have even had Chelsea fans texting me their congratulations.