UEL16: West Ham Utd 2-0 Sevilla (17/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Sevilla: match thread (2nd leg)

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:57 am Does anyone know where I can find detailed stats for last night? Distance covered by each player, pass completion % etc?
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/16275 ... am-Sevilla

The chalkboard/heatmaps might cover some of it.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:04 am Bring on the QF. If we can play like that every game we'll fear noone.

:crest:
Just the bloody refs, what an absolute kunut he was. :swear: hope they improve for the next round, don't recall them being so poor in the previous games.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

First half +1min of time added on.

Second half +1min of time added on.

Second half of extra time (when we are winning the tie) +2mins of time added on.

The ref was a 🔔
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Did we make any decent prize money from last night?
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Unbelievable performance from the boys.

Manu made a superb challenge on one occasion when they broke and had to time it right otherwise he was off. The boy has come back to pre injury levels.

Moyes takes huge credit for the way he has us set up. So well organised as a unit and we limited them. The team showed incredible energy levels and deservedly went through.

Looking forward to another night like this. Getting to the QFs is some achievement.

Special night, atmosphere and great time to be a WH fan. Looking at our rise over two seasons is incredible. On our day we can give anyone a game.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:21 am Did we make any decent prize money from last night?
Looked this up and if my understanding is correct it's £1.2 million. Not including match day takings.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Coops wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:07 am Same here, no work is getting done, I think I have replied to about 3 emails.
I am consuming everything about the match. I have even had Chelsea fans texting me their congratulations.
I think I've sent 1 email! Can't get anything done and no meetings today either!
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Fantastic, fearless performance against 2nd in La Liga and Europa serial winners. We reduced one of the best teams in Europe to playing for penalties as their only way past us!

It would be unfair to pick out a player / performance, they were all heroes but Lanzini's last man, chase back and tackle from a standing start just summed up the attitude of the team....blimey!

Just wonderful stuff from Moyes and the boys.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Just rewatched the highlights (for about the 12th time!)

By God Yarmo’s shot was close, like really close, to their keepers fingertips.…on these tiny margins things are decided.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:39 am Cannot concentrate on anything else this morning. Me & the 4 year old sang bubbles all the way to school this morning, came back and caned the papers, snorting with satisfaction with every compliment and platitude. Checked twitter to respond to all the tw*ts who sneered we'd lose after the first leg. Swapping messages with other WH mates. The best morning I can remember in a LONG time.
My whatsapp is full of clearly nervy Arsenal and Spurs supporters trying their hardest to take the piss but fooling no-one that deep down they're all worried that we could go on and win the whole thing.

I'm not rising to the bait, but it's ****ing delicious.

Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

I think I need that Fornals clip as my new ringtone...
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Ordered a fat cigar last night, for the final..
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

I'm not crying. You're crying...
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Unbelievable performance and one that I am still struggling to take in.I didn't really give us much of a chance and thought that the inclusion of Antonio and Cresswell was a mistake that would lead to one of Antonio's ropey,unfit performances that he does tend to put in when not 100%.But I couldn't have been more wrong.Every member of the team was excellent and,truthfully, if we had won 4-0, it wouldn't have flattered us.I was seriously anxious about extra time and thought we would be hanging on but we battered them.If anything,our energy levels increased in extra time.Just an amazing 120 minutes that I didn't think we were capable of. :crestnew: :crest: :hamm:
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

sendô wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:06 am My whatsapp is full of clearly nervy Arsenal and Spurs supporters trying their hardest to take the piss but fooling no-one that deep down they're all worried that we could go on and win the whole thing.[/img]
I'd like to qualify for the Champs league from league position, but it looks a bit unlilkely now. But I would love it, love it, if we did get pipped for 4th by 1 or both of those two and we blocked them from the Champs by winning the EC :twisted:
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:07 pm I'd like to qualify for the Champs league from league position, but it looks a bit unlilkely now. But I would love it, love it, if we did get pipped for 4th by 1 or both of those two and we blocked them from the Champs by winning the EC :twisted:
I don't think that can happen now as man utd went out.
You can get 5 spots if a non top 4 club wins EL or CL.
If both happened (ie man utd won it) then only 3rd would get CL.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Massive shout-out to Antonio. He came off injured a few days before and then put in that performance for 120 minutes. He ran the Sevilla defence ragged at times and, although some usual poor touches/passes which we have to expect from him, he was huge for us and deserves a load of credit for his contribution.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:07 pm I'd like to qualify for the Champs league from league position, but it looks a bit unlilkely now. But I would love it, love it, if we did get pipped for 4th by 1 or both of those two and we blocked them from the Champs by winning the EC :twisted:
We wouldn't block them, we'd get an extra spot. The only way that could happen is if an English team won the CL and finished outside of the top 4, but now Man Utd are out of the CL that is unlikely. The only chance would be Chelsea winning it whilst somehow having a horrendous run in in the league.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

I have been a big critic of that stadium but last night was special.

Best night since the last game at the boleyn in my opinion.

:heart: :crest:
crankyhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by crankyhammer »

i dont get to as many games these days and very rarely evening games but my grandson managed to get us tickets with his mate and dad and i can say without doubt, in 60 odd years of going, i dont remember a better atmosphere or performance.
like many others i didnt really think we could do it especially those 15 minutes or so in the second half but the team fed off the crowd and vice versa.
a game that will live long in the memory for all the right reasons. when a game can get you jumping around like a teenager at 65 years old, it must have been something special :crossed:
looking forward to the next one. COYI