Are we the dirtiest side in the Prem?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

brothernero
Has liked: 193 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Are we the dirtiest side in the Prem?

Post by brothernero » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:00 pm

Having just finished reading the OV View from yesterdays game I saw there were quite a few comments on what a dirty and snide side we are. Have seen these type of comments on other OV'S in the past.

Also when talking to a Liverpool fan the other week the day after they beat us 1-0 he mentioned the same thing. Said the ref was letting us get away with so much. Have also hear these remarks about being a dirty side and a snide side from various other fans these and last season.

Now perhaps I am watching with my claret and blue rose tinted glasses on, but I really do not see it at all. In fact quite the opposite.

I think we are a little to soft. Very few of our players dive, we hardly ever get in the face of the referee or surround him. There are plenty of occasions where our players stay on their feet in the penalty box where other players of teams would go to ground waving their hands for a penalty. Cant recall to many of players waving for imaginary yellow or red cards ethier.

Moyes himself is quite understated on the touchline. None of the rubbish theatrics that managers like Arteta do, or getting in the 4th officials face.

So what Am I not seeing that all these other fans are?

Personally I am quite proud our team are not like Liverpool, Villa or Arsenal ect.

Ironing Board
Has liked: 567 likes
Total likes: 439 likes

Re: Are we the dirtiest side in the Prem?

Post by Ironing Board » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:05 pm

They forget football is a physical sport and not a synchronized diving competition!

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 247 likes

Post by davids cross » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:07 pm

I hope so.

Aztec Hammer
Total likes: 720 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:13 pm

Not even close.

We just have a lot of tall, strong players and when opponents weakling players can't keep up, they cry about us being dirty. Most of the teams we play are far dirtier than us with myriad snide tactics that we do not employ.

One could make the argument it would be in our best interests to do so.

The Straw
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by The Straw » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:13 pm

No. We are not a dirty side. We are big and strong. If other teams want to throw themselves on the floor constantly and act like snide c**** then that's up to them. Doesn't make us dirty. I actually think us and maybe Leeds try to play with some sense of sportsmanship. Teams like Arsenal are utterly contemptible.

bubbles1966
Has liked: 424 likes
Total likes: 865 likes

Post by bubbles1966 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:20 pm

We have committed the lowest number of fouls per game, and are just one off being the lowest number of yellow cards.

If anything, we don't 'take one for the team' often enough. Diop should have wiped Broja out in the home game, for example. Man City would have pulled him down four times between halfway and the penalty area.

When it is said that we are dirty, it's usually an admission by the opposition that they are soft. Villa were yesterday. All the feigned head injuries were a tactic borne from the fear of how good we are in the air relative to them.

The oft repeated "West Ham are good at set pieces" is well and truly in the heads of everyone we play.

El brooko79
Has liked: 565 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by El brooko79 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:25 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:20 pm
We have committed the lowest number of fouls per game, and are just one off being the lowest number of yellow cards.

If anything, we don't 'take one for the team' often enough. Diop should have wiped Broja out in the home game, for example. Man City would have pulled him down four times between halfway and the penalty area.

When it is said that we are dirty, it's usually an admission by the opposition that they are soft. Villa were yesterday. All the feigned head injuries were a tactic borne from the fear of how good we are in the air relative to them.
Excellent facts and response.
All committed and hard working players.
Can't think of anyone in our squad that would leave one on someone. Dawson can be rash but no malice.

Even that so called "vinnie Jones leveler" from Rice on Coutinho, it looked like the ref wasn't gonna blow until Rice was checking on him.

Far too many sunny day players at other clubs expect to be able to turn up for a 5 aside knockabout. Not on our watch.

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by steveyrockstar » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:46 pm

we were far dirtier when Julian played for us

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 488 likes

Post by Wilko1304 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:50 pm

I’d have us down as the most naive and honest team. We have no snides, the closest being Dawson but he isn’t a snide, he’s basically that 40 year old bloke at Sunday League who loves a tackle and isn’t trying to hurt anyone, but smiles as he clatters people cos he just loves it.

funky chicken
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by funky chicken » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:54 pm

The title should surely belong to Man Utd. How many players of ours have gone off injured against them the last few years in all competitions against them?

Ogbonna arguably hasn’t been the same with regards to injuries since that FA Cup game.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 401 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:05 pm

There's the now popular tug of shirt and nudge off balance. I hate it, but loads do it.

But there's a select few who play in a manner dangerous to other players. Jota is one, with his elbows.

Arsenal, though, as a team, are snide AND dirty (i.e. dangerous)

They're the worst.

LeonRivers
Has liked: 545 likes
Total likes: 176 likes

Post by LeonRivers » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:10 pm

What’s dirty:

Tackling hard, standing your ground when you’re a massive unit and running powerfully with the ball

or

Diving to the floor under no contact, pretending to be injured and time-wasting from the 1st minute.

A recent match vs Villa was the angriest I have ever been after a match, and we won it!! They are a disgusting side. Worse than Gerard’s Liverpool, Bale’s Tottenham and Vardy’s Leicester. Proper ****ing scum.

We’re pussycats in the dirty-team game.

D C
Has liked: 219 likes
Total likes: 97 likes

Post by D C » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:18 pm

Don’t forget leople like Liverpool fans will remember Ogbonna’s elbow that we all forget about all fans are biased at the end if the day like how they’ll conveniently ignore Salah winning dodgy pens and Mane kung fu kicking people

Personally I think dirty sides like Pulis’ Stoke that set out to potentially injure players or constant fouling to try to intimidate the opposition is worse than than the frustrating time wasting and exaggerating fouls that teams like Villa and Brentford do

Every player appeals for a throw in or corner kick that they know came off them last so all players are cheats in todays games really, some just worse than others and I don’t really expect any better as frustrating as that is

HammerTime86
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by HammerTime86 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:20 pm

You should have asked that Liverpool fan if Jota plays for us? He's a snide little ****.

brothernero
Has liked: 193 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by brothernero » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:28 pm

LeonRivers wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:10 pm
We’re pussycats in the dirty-team game.
Agree. As i say I don't want to become like Villa or Arsenal but at the same time we do need to toughen up a bit.

mattyD
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by mattyD » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:42 pm

We're too nice if anything. Need to get on the opposition's face a bit more, and the refs ear. Tactical fouls etc

By way of comparison the games involving Villa have seen the ball actually in play for the least amount of time. The rest is spent with them holding their heads.

That said I'm glad we're doing it the way we are. Arsenal are the worst example right now. Just cheats, pure and simple.

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 819 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:44 pm

We're not even close.

It's a perception driven by a few things:

Unfashionable British Manager.

Media driven cliche that we're a 'set piece' team.

Big tall players like Dawson, Soucek, Zouma just get lumped in as 'brutes'.

Other teams making excuses for why West Ham are 1, above them in the table, and 2, have beaten them this season.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 401 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:47 pm

Andy Carroll was a dangerous opponent.

Some of his challenges were wrestling attacks!

Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Gnome » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:44 pm

Does make me laugh when Liverpool supporters accuse us of bring dirty. Coming from the team whose no.1 tactic is to break down play with fouls ten yards either side of the halfway line, spreading the load over the team to avoid cards.

Nastiest side in the country.

Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:50 pm

Bubbles Fortuna wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:44 pm
We're not even close.

It's a perception driven by a few things:

Unfashionable British Manager.

Media driven cliche that we're a 'set piece' team.

Big tall players like Dawson, Soucek, Zouma just get lumped in as 'brutes'.

Other teams making excuses for why West Ham are 1, above them in the table, and 2, have beaten them this season.
I’d normally just hit the new like button but this is so on the money it deserves a quote. Absolutely nailed it there BF 👍.