Tottenham 3-1 West Ham Utd (20/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by mattyD »

Are people actually complaining Antonio stuck one on Dier? I for one am glad. we are too nice. Yes it was a risk, and it's thankfully out of character for him and the team, but I'd rather that then all there shithousery.
Reguillon and Son are dripping in spursiness.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

mattyD wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:43 am Are people actually complaining Antonio stuck one on Dier?
No, we've just got a Spurs fan on here bleating "yea but yea but" because people are laughing at Son's ridiculous "ow my leg, the ball hit it" dying swan routine.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:51 am No, we've just got a Spurs fan on here bleating "yea but yea but" because people are laughing at Son's ridiculous "ow my leg, the ball hit it" dying swan routine.
And we wish it was on Son or Reguilon, rather than Eric Duh-ier
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

What Son did was pathetic,.childish and snidey. No argument there. It was an attempt at cheating.

That does not excuse Antonio's forearm smash..For those who say it didn't connect. Look at Dier's face go back.

My.point is as supporters it's easy to.find fault with the opposition but often we overlook.our own.players.

Yes I am a Spurs supporter but I've had a soft spot for West Ham since the early 70s. I don't come on here to.gloat. I was very complimentary about West Ham's performance at Spurs in.the League Cup and raved about how Declan Rice controlled that game
S-H

Post by S-H »

Westcliffspur wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:59 am What Son did was pathetic,.childish and snidey. No argument there. It was an attempt at cheating.

That does not excuse Antonio's forearm smash..For those who say it didn't connect. Look at Dier's face go back.

My.point is as supporters it's easy to.find fault with the opposition but often we overlook.our own.players.

Yes I am a Spurs supporter but I've had a soft spot for West Ham since the early 70s. I don't come on here to.gloat. I was very complimentary about West Ham's performance at Spurs in.the League Cup and raved about how Declan Rice controlled that game
I see nothing.

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I think there’s a huge difference between cheating and going in hard. Antonio may have been late, and possibly overzealous with that challenge, but we all know that he’s not that kind of player. Son, on the other hand, always has been and always will be a snide, cheating skank.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

mattyD wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:43 am Are people actually complaining Antonio stuck one on Dier? I for one am glad. we are too nice. Yes it was a risk, and it's thankfully out of character for him and the team, but I'd rather that then all there shithousery.
Reguillon and Son are dripping in spursiness.
Don't think either are acceptable tbh and I don't see why we have to choose one or the other.
I don't think Antonios was intentional so it's not violent conduct (3 game ban) but I don't think we would have had any complaints had he seen red for dangerous play. No difference to a leg breaker than doesn't connect.

If Dier did that to one of ours on Sunday we would be moaning about var. Sometimes we need to be objective no matter how much you dislike a team.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

El brooko79 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:29 am If Dier did that to one of ours on Sunday we would be moaning about var. Sometimes we need to be objective no matter how much you dislike a team.
Dier didn't, but Romero, Doherty and Hojberg did.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Westcliffspur wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:59 am What Son did was pathetic,.childish and snidey. No argument there. It was an attempt at cheating.

I've only seen the one angle of the Antonio challenge, but it does not look great. I'd be amazed if VAR hadn't checked it though.

Sure you have a point that sometimes fans overlook their own sides misdemeanours - but in recent weeks Vlasic, Yarmolenko and from Sunday, Antonio, have all been called out on here and elsewhere for blatant diving.

Sadly that is a part of the game these days and I really wish it wasn't, along with the "he had every right to go down there as there was contact" comments from the, ahem, experts.

There is not a team at this level that doesn't have players that dive - but there are still some that do not allow the antics of Son and similarly Villa the week before.

I can understand violent conduct way more than those types of cheating antics. In a high tempo game, when things aren't going for you and you are getting clattered by the opposition, frustration can boil over. Not right, but understandable.

What must your mind set be to go down like Son did though, when hit gently by a ****ing football on the back of the leg ? As good as a player as he is, I'd never want someone who behaved like that anywhere near my club. And he should be called out for it publicly
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:07 pm Dier didn't, but Romero, Doherty and Hojberg did.
Straight red dangerous play? Then they should have gone too and we should be complaining.

Don't remember those as blatant tbh but each incident should be looked at individually and not trading offences to level out who was the most hard done by.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Westcliffspur wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:59 am That does not excuse Antonio's forearm smash..For those who say it didn't connect. Look at Dier's face go back.
When looking at players bodily reactions to challenges, I always disregard the reaction of players who play for clubs that clearly practise that particular type of cheating in training - Aston Villa, Leicester, Tottenham, Liverpool.

I have seen no evidence that Antonio smashed Dier, intentional or otherwise. To suggest that Antonio landed an intentional smash on one of your pathetic floppers and he remained standing is laughable.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

I see that scumbag Hackett has got involved now and is singing it from the rooftops calling for the FA to look at it with a view to Banning Mike.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

rigoberts song wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:52 pm I see that scumbag Hackett has got involved now and is singing it from the rooftops calling for the FA to look at it with a view to Banning Mike.
How old is Hackett ffs?! He was about 60 when he sent Galey off in 1990
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Ah rent a gob Hackett getting his name in the press again as usual.

My feeling about Sunday is that I always saw it coming after the huge effort on Thursday night. It isn't any less disappointing but I'm always coming back to the point that we just don't have the squad to properly compete on two fronts. That's been gone over time and time again though.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

I hope Hackett keeps mouthing off. It would be nice to see him up for Hackett of the Year at the next KUMB Awards.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Denbighammer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:03 pm How old is Hackett ffs?! He was about 60 when he sent Galey off in 1990
That was my first thought too, but seems he was born looking like that.

More astonishingly, how’s he survived day to day life? He must drive on the wrong side, walk backwards and insult everyone he meets. Reminds me of that Fast Show character who couldn’t stop himself falling down holes.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

rigoberts song wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:52 pm I see that scumbag Hackett has got involved now and is singing it from the rooftops calling for the FA to look at it with a view to Banning Mike.
Wow. On an incident that no one can tell me if there was any actual contact, even if the action was 'rough'? I know Dier is a lump but I don't see anyone not getting absolutely flattened and completely zeroed out if that has actually connected. If we're gonna have players banned for 'what might have happened' then.........
S-H

Post by S-H »

Iron-on-transfer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:30 pm I know Dier is a lump but I don't see anyone not getting absolutely flattened and completely zeroed out if that has actually connected.
Especially when you consider that most Spurs players would be knocked by a light breeze, whilst clutching their face.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

S-H wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:34 pm Especially when you consider that most Spurs players would be knocked by a light breeze, whilst clutching their face.
Apparently, no one is allowed to pass wind in the Spurs dressing room in order to avoid a Harry Kane Katrina incident from happening.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Iron-on-transfer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:30 pm Wow. On an incident that no one can tell me if there was any actual contact, even if the action was 'rough'? I know Dier is a lump but I don't see anyone not getting absolutely flattened and completely zeroed out if that has actually connected. If we're gonna have players banned for 'what might have happened' then.........
I don't think there was intent.
But devil's advocate: the bans are there to prevent injuries not just punish an actual one.
Red cards for high foot and dangerous play does not matter if you make contact. It's been about what might have happened (because it was reckless) for many years.
Leading with an arm elbow is no different.

That said there is no way he should be banned. VAR was there and supposed to pick things up that the ref misses.
There has been no action to cover up VAR "misses) that I can remember. Its a whole new can of worms.