Tottenham 3-1 West Ham Utd (20/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

What?....like the sliding Kane tackle on Robertson? I understand what you're saying but....

Has anyone ever tried to run at pace and jump across to someone/something and have your arms down by your sides? Clumsy? Yeah, I think he often is in some parts of his play generally tbh. Malicious? Don't think so.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Iron-on-transfer wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:00 pm What?....like the sliding Kane tackle on Robertson? I understand what you're saying but....

Has anyone ever tried to run at pace and jump across to someone/something and have your arms down by your sides? Clumsy? Yeah, I think he often is in some parts of his play generally tbh. Malicious? Don't think so.
Tbh was more making the point about there doesn't need to be contact in dangerous play.

I don't think even VAR would have done Antonio with just that camera angle and surprised there haven't been others.
Looks like we got away with one based on that, but you can't be sure without a close up if it really was dangerous.

The whole jumping and swinging arms has been debated for years. I remember Andy Gray doing stupid arm down jumps when shearer got sent off vs Leicester many years ago.
Iron-on-transfer
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

El brooko79 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:06 pm I don't think even VAR would have done Antonio with just that camera angle and surprised there haven't been others.
Looks like we got away with one based on that, but you can't be sure without a close up if it really was dangerous.
Exactly. An incident very few saw at the time. On screen, it was right in the corner of the action and not mentioned. It is unclear. Not a case of C & B glasses as Spurs would have us believe. We, like most, simply didn't see it and don't know for sure. Still don't. The other antics however were reshown for all to see and that's why we've discussed those.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Interesting stat (imo) in terms of the impact of our subs.

After 60 minutes, the score was 2-1, possession was 51/49 and shots was 6/6. Even game, two teams split by deflection.

After the removal of Masuaku and Antonio and a switch to a 4 instead of the wing backs - Spurs had 11 shots, we had zero.

So, the starting formation was seemingly the better one.
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

In one afternoon their behaviour summed up why I dislike spurs so much. Horrible club, no class from top to bottom.
The sad thing about it, they have some excellent players who don’t need to behave like a snide, but they do and that says everything you need to know about the club.
Why in gods names with all the **** we have gone though the last two years and everything else going on do grown up’s feel the need to behave like that.

Anyone remember this from last season, http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2020/10/0 ... r-referee/ and check out who the ref is, the sending off even gets a clap from snide Kane, the captain of England.

Don’t get me started on him being captain of England, one of worst in memory.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

wobble wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:14 pm In one afternoon their behaviour summed up why I dislike spurs so much. Horrible club, no class from top to bottom.
The sad thing about it, they have some excellent players who don’t need to behave like a snide, but they do and that says everything you need to know about the club.
Why in gods names with all the **** we have gone though the last two years and everything else going on do grown up’s feel the need to behave like that.

Anyone remember this from last season, http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2020/10/0 ... r-referee/ and check out who the ref is, the sending off even gets a clap from snide Kane, the captain of England.

Don’t get me started on him being captain of England, one of worst in memory.
Because more often than not, they get a decision in their favour and in instances like the footage in your post, actually get fellow professionals sent off.

I know I and others have said before, but until football starts following Rugby and Cricket discipline and outlook towards incidents during the game, these same players will keep doing it AND benefitting from it.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:50 pm Interesting stat (imo) in terms of the impact of our subs.

After 60 minutes, the score was 2-1, possession was 51/49 and shots was 6/6. Even game, two teams split by deflection.

After the removal of Masuaku and Antonio and a switch to a 4 instead of the wing backs - Spurs had 11 shots, we had zero.

So, the starting formation was seemingly the better one.
Not entirely convinced whether that was as much down to the formation change or the fatigue setting in late on. Interesting and worrying how many shots they had in that time though.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

wobble wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:14 pm

I couldn’t be a pro footballer. If I was sent off for that and that c**t was still laid on his back, I’d stamp on his ****ing face.
TwoTubs
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by TwoTubs »

LeonRivers wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:56 pm I couldn’t be a pro footballer. If I was sent off for that and that c**t was still laid on his back, I’d stamp on his ****ing face.
I feel the same mate. Who was the ref who walked away from Antonio the other week when he was trying to talk to him at a corner? I doubt I could stop myself from really giving it both barrels just to get a reaction. Pathetic refs we're saddled with :-(
super slav
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by super slav »

Martial and lamela are both at sevilla wonder how they resolved that one.

reguillon was the one that got me in that last game horrible little ****
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Rays Rock wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:23 pm This is exactly what needs to happen at the top. If any broadcaster was brave enough they should Commission a prime time show hosted by a comedian where they rip the piss out the previous weeks feigning and diving. Have a wall like top gear with the worst offenders stuck at the top and update it week on week.
If that was to catch on like fantasy football did and became part of ‘terrace talk’, those players might think twice about offending for fear of being made to look stupid. They’d certainly get the piss taken out of them at every away ground.
Not TV but don't Sutton and Savage do something similar on 606 on 5Live? I recall them doing a regular item where they have a pop at at least one player a week for simulation.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Hammer1966 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:50 pm Not TV but don't Sutton and Savage do something similar on 606 on 5Live? I recall them doing a regular item where they have a pop at at least one player a week for simulation.
Which is kind of ironic
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

During that incident where Son was felled by a rolling ball, I'm not sure I liked the way Antonio was trying to make a big deal about the slap (which wasn't really very much of a slap) with the ref. He was trying to drag Cresswell towards the ref in support but Cresswell clearly didn't want to get involved and seemed to be telling Antonio to leave it. Credit to him for that.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:16 am During that incident where Son was felled by a rolling ball, I'm not sure I liked the way Antonio was trying to make a big deal about the slap (which wasn't really very much of a slap) with the ref. He was trying to drag Cresswell towards the ref in support but Cresswell clearly didn't want to get involved and seemed to be telling Antonio to leave it. Credit to him for that.
I think Antonio is sick to the stomach of not getting anything from refs himself when fouled by defenders, whether blatantly obstructed (which happens every game more than once and is never given), tripped, clipped, pushed, pulled, and seeing other teams get the same thing or less given for them. I assumed his point was "what the f*** are you doing, our guy got slapped in the face by the Spurs 3 and your worried about a rolling ball? Here tell him Cress", that's how I saw that. Exasperated at the one way reffing fir fouls is how it came across.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:50 pm Interesting stat (imo) in terms of the impact of our subs.

That’s one way of looking at it. Another is to say they were separated by a goal.

It didn’t feel even. After half hour I was thinking they could’ve been out of sight.

We’ve been in every game this season bar a few and this was one of those.