Tottenham 3-1 West Ham Utd (20/3/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by sutts07 »

I am Legend wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:42 pm Two lucky goals with deflections, Reguillon slap should have been a straight red

the more the game goes through my head the more pissed off I am.
All that to one side, they were the better team on the day. We looked very leggy and they were right at it.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3201 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:30 pm So unless VAR thinks the slap was definitely red card worthy, he can't suggest any action to the ref. And if he did think it was red card worthy, he can suggest the ref reviews the incident, which effectively means the red card would have to be given. (The ref can't use VAR for yellow cards).
That's an excellent summary.

Reminds me of something:

“There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.”
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Happy to park this game and move on. However one particular recurring thing does bother me about our treatment at the hands of the officials.

I think Taylor is the worst ref of the lot by a country mile - but I’m starting to get the hump more generally about how many referees let Antonio get manhandled on the final third. Middle of the pitch they are happy to give us free kicks when he’s fouled but in the final third the combination of him being a big lad and the awareness of our prowess at free kicks means it has to be absolutely blatant to even stand a chance of being awarded.

I don’t want us to turn into a whiney club like many of the PL sides but I wouldn’t be averse to Moyes drawing a bit of attention to it. Just because Antonio is a strong lad it doesn’t give defenders the right to foul him any more that they do Salah, Vardy, Lacazette etc. yet they clearly do.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Post by steps »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:25 am

Lest we forget this brutal assault on Son.
Haha.

While there’s no doubt Son is a good player this sort of thing is an absolute embarrassment to the game. At least if one of ours attempts some sort of simulation during a game the said player will get called out by our fanbase, whereas Spurs fans will actively turn a blind eye and condone pathetic play acting.
zinger549
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by zinger549 »

Disappointing result but was always going to be a tough game with the Thursday game going into extra time. Got some time to recover now before the next game.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Their constant appealing falling over and wingeing to the ref disgusts me.
The problem is we're too nice were managed by an honourable hardworking man whose backed up by a similar back room team.
Margins are so fine between CL , Europa ,conference qualifications that these scum bags seek to exploit advantages by falling over time wasting holding their heads whining in the press getting fixtures stock piled
Because of covid etc.
I'd like to see a ref who's strong enough to start booking people for play acting .
The sort of club we are ie too nice / honest means we have to work doubly hard to succeed.
mikee31
Has liked: 1 like

Post by mikee31 »

rigoberts song wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:18 pm Their constant appealing falling over and wingeing to the ref disgusts me.
The problem is we're too nice were managed by an honourable hardworking man whose backed up by a similar back room team.
Margins are so fine between CL , Europa ,conference qualifications that these scum bags seek to exploit advantages by falling over time wasting holding their heads whining in the press getting fixtures stock piled
Because of covid etc.
I'd like to see a ref who's strong enough to start booking people for play acting .
The sort of club we are ie too nice / honest means we have to work doubly hard to succeed.
I'm surprised that with someone like Nolan in the backroom staff that he hasn't instilled a few things into the players. He was always on the refs case and generally being a nuisance to the opposition. As you say, we're too nice for our own good sometimes, but maybe that's how Moyes want the team to be.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Has Son ever played for Villa ?

He goes down at the slightest touch or when a ball touches him - just like your mum

Cresswell should have stuck one on Reguillon
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

i have to say i thought playing masuaku was partially what lost us this game.
I don't see the point in changing the team if the team works ok as it is.
I just don't see why he didn't stick to playing either benrahma or formals as the right or left striker and replace either with vlasic and yarmolenko?
this lost us the first couple of goals in my view.

I'm not solely blaming masuaku, i just can't see how moyes can say it wasn't about tiredness then play a virtually unchanged team. we'd have been better off not changing the team at all then.
Last edited by kitthehammer on Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

Requilon slap and Son falling over after ball hits him (that is after he turns around to see who kicked it).

Not sure the slap warrants a red card but Johnson shouldn't have intervened because Requilon looked like he'd lost the plot and could have been off if he attacks Zouma.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1214 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Last edited by Pete647580 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1214 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Last edited by Pete647580 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

Out of interest. Has Antonio deliberate elbow to Dier's face when he ran into to challenge the Spurs defender in the box been mentioned? If Dier had chosen to go down that would have been a straight red card. We all see things the opposition players do to.our players but let's not pretend our own team are angels.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

I've detested Son ever since he broke Gomes' leg with that horrendous tackle and then made out that he was mortified by it and acted so contrite.

Then, in the very next game against us, he played the dying swan act as usual after a tackle by Fredericks to get him booked, rolling around pretending he was seriously hurt. Then, literally seconds after getting up limping like he had a broken leg, he sprinted at full pace into our box to score.

He is one of the worst snide cheats out there as far as I'm concerned.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Son makes Salah almost likeable.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Mic Antonio a dirty cheat or Son Heung-min a dirty cheat?

Mmmm, let me think….
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Sir_Trevor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:01 pm I've detested Son ever since he broke Gomes' leg with that horrendous tackle and then made out that he was mortified by it and acted so contrite.

Then, in the very next game against us, he played the dying swan act as usual after a tackle by Fredericks to get him booked, rolling around pretending he was seriously hurt. Then, literally seconds after getting up limping like he had a broken leg, he sprinted at full pace into our box to score.

He is one of the worst snide cheats out there as far as I'm concerned.
The list is endless. The Man Utd game when his head nearly came off due to McTominay's hand brushing his cheek. He managed to get a goal overturned for that. If the ref's keeping giving him attention and don't start booking him it is a risk free tactic for him to keep using.

At best you can get a pen or a red card given to your opponent, at worst you have a few people thinking you are a snide little cheat. He is clearly fine with that, why wouldn't he be?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

hammer1975 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:55 pm I think Taylor is the worst ref of the lot by a country mile - but I’m starting to get the hump more generally about how many referees let Antonio get manhandled on the final third. Middle of the pitch they are happy to give us free kicks when he’s fouled but in the final third the combination of him being a big lad and the awareness of our prowess at free kicks means it has to be absolutely blatant to even stand a chance of being awarded.
Antonio hardly ever wins a free kick for anything, yet opposition defenders foul him constantly all game, every game, all over the pitch. There was more than a few occasions that he got fouled yesterday - I'm sure at one point I saw him get pulled back by his shirt collar - yet never gets given anything.

The thing is, if we were say Liverpool we'd Jurgen Teethmoaner ranting at the post match interview about this foul, that foul, how the world is out against him team etc etc, getting into the refs heads so that next game they're more likely to give it. Moyes is not like that. Admirable, sure, but it's a big part of the reason why so many 50/50s go against us.

The Regulon thing is another example. Do we think Conte would have not mentioned it post match had we won and it'd been Cresswell slapping Regulon? Would he f***.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Seems to be an art to it. Antonio hasn't worked that bit out yet. Kane is pretty good at winning free kicks too.
That is not really cheating in the same way Son is, just being clever. That said, it is bloody dangerous the way he (Kane) backs into CBs when they are mid air.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

S-H wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:03 pm Son makes Salah almost likeable.
Steady on!