West Ham Utd 2-1 Everton (3/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Everton: match thread

Post by YorksHammer »

3 red cards in their past 3 league games.

I seem to remember ill discipline was also a hallmark of Lampard's Chelsea, was it not?

They are a rabble.

(In researching this I found that according to Whoscored Leeds have had a remarkable 91 yellow cards so far this season! Surely thats not right, it's about 30 more than anybody else!)
Ethanadict
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Always love the Opposition's View and frequently there's different opinions on refereeing decisions, but I was really surprised that he came into question in this match. I thought he was pretty fair.

The sending off was two very obvious yellow cards and having done the first one, I'm sure we'd blame the player if one of ours was stupid enough to have then done the second - you can't blame the ref for that. But some of the Evertonians have. Clutching, I'd say.

The only debateable decision was whether Cresswell should have got a red when he kicked the ball at the player, but unless I'm missing something, that's the point - he kicked the ball, he didn't kick the player.

I thought there was probably just short enough time to make out he hadn't heard the whistle when he did so. Yellow was about right if it was for unsportsmanlike behaviour. Shame you can't give cards for the fourteen rolls and triple-salco that Richarlison did afterwards too, clutching his face.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Fred was the weak link yesterday. Everton knew that and targeted him accordingly. They got a lot of joy out of his hesitancy and tendency to leave himself in no man's land by employing through balls slid inside of him. But most crucially, the two or three times that they were on the verge of scoring, Fred's recovery speed and timely touch of the ball to change course saved us.

Live at the game you could really see it was one of those ones where he was both clearly the weakest player in our team, but at the same time, made some critical actions that you can point to and say helped us get the job done.

For a third choice player who knows he is not being renewed at the end of the season, I don't think you can ask for much more than that. A good, honest pro that worked for the team and gave his best effort, and ultimately it helped us get three points.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I like Fredericks. His pace both in defensive recovery and getting up the pitch on the counter attack is underestimated. He made one big mistake as far as I can recall but there were several other occasions where Dawson (in particular) was thankful for his cover.
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Don't understand the criticism of Fredericks at all. Every single WH outfield player made mistakes yesterday, some may even say Fab made a mistake not catching the ball. It happens.

It's the same old names who get blasted time and time again. Only their mistakes get mentioned or if they do something well it's either ignored or given feint praise trying to associate it with an earlier mistake. Other players only have their good play mentioned, never their mistakes. :?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Fred did OK but I still don't want him anywhere near the first 11!
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4276 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Kialos wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:29 pm Don't understand the criticism of Fredericks at all. Every single WH outfield player made mistakes yesterday, some may even say Fab made a mistake not catching the ball. It happens.

It's the same old names who get blasted time and time again. Only their mistakes get mentioned or if they do something well it's either ignored or given feint praise trying to associate it with an earlier mistake. Other players only have their good play mentioned, never their mistakes. :?
Is anybody really criticising?

It's a forum mate, and what usually happens on here is that opinions are made about who people think played well, who people think played average, and who people think played poorly.

If there are the same old names that get blasted, as you put it, well, that is likely because they are our weakest players who play poorly most often. It's not really a surprise that when Diop, Masuaku, Fred, Kral and Vlasic crop up on here, it's often to mention that they didn't do so well, whereas when Rice, Bowen, Zouma are mentioned, it's often to talk about how well they did.

The latter names are better footballers, play better more often and make less mistakes than the former. It's not a conspiracy. It's just normal forum stuff.
Mullhull
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Absolutely love the OV.

It shows the rose tinted glasses some football fans have and think that everything is against them.
"It isn't remotely amusing that Antonio falls into Keane, YELLOW card without a moment's thought. Keane is half a second late (and concedes a dangerous free kick) - YELLOW CARD without a moment's thought. But it's ok to kick Richarlison in the chest - after the play is done and it's not reviewed. But that's ok, we're Everton and we don't count."
- ToffeeDan
You can clearly see Richarlison was not kicked in the chest... nor his face.

As for Keane, both were fouls and both were yellows. I get it, sometimes when watching a game I'll shout how the f**k is that a foul! but then if I'm at home I get the benefit of the replay and if it was a foul then it's foul I get on with it, no conspiracy, no crying about how the world is against us.

People like this guy, I feel sorry for him. He genuinely believes what he's written. It's tragic.

We didn't really get going yesterday and still pulled it out of the bag. Bring on Thursday!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Mullhull wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:47 pm
You can clearly see Richarlison was not kicked in the chest...
He clearly was.

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet ... 7088696320
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1665 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

haven't seen THAT angle, but iirc from the one I had looked like Cresswell kicked the ball and the ball hit him in the chest.

amazing how these bloody idiots at VAR can't get it right

:crylol:
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 615 likes

Post by NedN »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:21 pm haven't seen THAT angle, but iirc from the one I had looked like Cresswell kicked the ball and the ball hit him in the chest.

amazing how these bloody idiots at VAR can't get it right

:crylol:
Tbf, There’s probably a much higher probability of Cress getting a red if Richarlison does not grab his face. VAR looks and sees that and sees that Richarlison grabbed his face without being kicked there and was thus ****ing something, instead of seeing that Cress may have kicked him after the play was dead. The focus becomes on the face, not the kick.
kentboleyn
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by kentboleyn »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:35 pm Is anybody really criticising?

It's a forum mate, and what usually happens on here is that opinions are made about who people think played well, who people think played average, and who people think played poorly.

If there are the same old names that get blasted, as you put it, well, that is likely because they are our weakest players who play poorly most often. It's not really a surprise that when Diop, Masuaku, Fred, Kral and Vlasic crop up on here, it's often to mention that they didn't do so well, whereas when Rice, Bowen, Zouma are mentioned, it's often to talk about how well they did.

The latter names are better footballers, play better more often and make less mistakes than the former. It's not a conspiracy. It's just normal forum stuff.
Well said that man,some people on here if they disagree with a post just say "stop posting ****" :shock:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4739 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:16 pm He clearly was.

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet ... 7088696320
Honestly looks to me like Cresswell tries to clear the ball.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:48 pm Honestly looks to me like Cresswell tries to clear the ball.
Cresswell certainly didn't go full John Hartson that's for sure....

:shocker:
'stone hammer
Has liked: 782 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:35 pm It's a forum mate, and what usually happens on here is that opinions are made about who people think played well, who people think played average, and who people think played poorly.
Honestly mate I've posted similar, but there's a few posters who just won't have it. Everyone should just be grateful for what we've got and not say a word. It's ****ing tiresome.

I thought Fabianski being criticised was criminal, but respect the opinion at least. On the flip side there are plenty that incessantly post about certain players and appear to want them to fail, and unfortunately, particularly when it comes to players like Benrahma, we all get tarred with that brush should we dare to criticise.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:48 pm Honestly looks to me like Cresswell tries to clear the ball.
Clear the ball into his chest..

He just happened to miss the ball though..
'stone hammer
Has liked: 782 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Kialos wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:29 pm Don't understand the criticism of Fredericks at all.
I think he played ok. But he nearly gifted Richarlison a goal. Fair criticism?
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Cresswell was lucky to get away with that...he clearly lost his rag as just before he swings his boot to smack the ball away/into Richarlison he's shouting at him to get up. I don't think he meant to kick him, just smash the ball at him but missed completely. I wonder if VAR looked at it, saw that he didn't actually kick him in the face like Richarlison implied and thought balls to it.

Daft foul from Fornals as well to be honest right near the end.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:51 pm Cresswell certainly didn't go full John Hartson that's for sure....

:shocker:

If Dicks had done that it would be on Talksport phone ins all week.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

smuts wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:05 pm Cresswell was lucky to get away with that...he clearly lost his rag as just before he swings his boot to smack the ball away/into Richarlison he's shouting at him to get up. I don't think he meant to kick him, just smash the ball at him but missed completely. I wonder if VAR looked at it, saw that he didn't actually kick him in the face like Richarlison implied and thought balls to it.

Daft foul from Fornals as well to be honest right near the end.

about time they reviewed all of this play acting.

watched more than a few games over the weekend. the amount of times, a defender places his arm on the attackers chest, and maybe grazes his neck, the bloke falls down clutching his face and rolls around about 10 times. at least "some" of the commentators on the streams I watched were like "no real contact there, he's certainly making the most of it." and the Sky lot don't help. "he felt contact, he's entitled to go to ground."

NO HE BLOODY WELL ISN'T.

and what happened to a yellow card for simulation ? there were at LEAST 4 or 5 or more occasions in the games I watched where the attacker instigates contact by just dragging his leg into his opponent looking for a foul and in quite a few cases, a penalty. Real got THREE penalties Saturday. THREE. two in my opinion were iffy, the third was not a penalty. however, the commentator on that game "oh yeah, a penalty all day."

reactroactive punishment should be taken here, but we all know it won't

first off because the first lot to get done would be the Sky love child "top 6." can't have that. so it's not going to happen.

there's an awful lot wrong with the modern game, we all know how Salah feels a breath of wind and he's down. Fernandes for the Red Mancs too. he falls over more times than most. and then pisses and moans about not getting the call. CR7 too.

and to be honest, it wouldn't take rewriting the rules. just enforce those in place. even if it's reactroactive. last player to get done was Lanzini, what 5 or 6 years ago ?