West Ham Utd 2-1 Everton (3/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 839 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

West Ham Utd 2-1 Everton (3/4/22)

Post by prophet:marginal »

Finally back to some league action, with both clubs knowing that their very different objectives get more than a little dent if they lose this one.

This is how Lampard lined up his side, when they played and lost at Selhurst Park in the 6th round of the FA Cup.

Jordan Pickford
Ben Godfrey
Michael Keane
Mason Holgate
Seamus Coleman
Filipe Andre Gomes
Abdoulaye Doucoure
Jonjoe Kenny
Andros Townsend
de Andrade Richarlison
Anthony Gordon

Substitutes

Dominic Calvert-Lewin (s 46')
Demarai Gray (s 17')
Alex Iwobi (s 73')

The early change arose out of Townsend getting injured. I know a couple of people who watched from the home stand. Nobody doubted that Palace deserved the win, but the scoreline may have flattered them a bit, in that Everton were actually quite strong in attack, at least in parts of the game.

Obviously, though, their defence is having a poor season, as a unit, and it may be that, despite having spent so much recently, our visitors need to re-build that area of their team.

I assume that we will deploy a back 4, here, meaning Johnson and Cress as FBs alongside the standard Dawson-Zouma partnership. Can't see much chance of any change in the next area of the team, but imagine that Moyes will make the call regarding the 3 ahead of them after watching us train. One tiny thing I noticed this week is that, despite sterling recent performances, including against Sevilla, neither Manu nor Fornals got called up for their international teams. So, they'd have had a rest, fine, but also perhaps some time to mull over why they'd not made the grade. Hopefully that will translate into some committed performances in the last chapter of this season.

Anyone know about Bowen and his likely return? Would love to see him play against Everton, given their defensive woes, but we might be able to cope without him, here, if he needs more time.

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: West Ham United -v- Everton - Match Thread

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I'm pretty sure I saw Lanzini with Argentina.

Hopefully, Bowen is back and able to get 15/20 minutes on Sunday. Then let him loose against Lyon.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I know I'm in the minority on this but I look at the Everton team sheet and don't get why they are struggling so much?!!?

Townsend looked a serious injury so I don't see him recovering.

Tough game, as pretty much always with this lot but I hope we put another nail in the coffin of couldn't carry.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1750 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:16 pm I know I'm in the minority on this but I look at the Everton team sheet and don't get why they are struggling so much?!!?

Tough game, as pretty much always with this lot but I hope we put another nail in the coffin of couldn't carry.
They’ve got so many players who have been bought under different managers with various ways of playing and now it’s amalgamated into a **** show.

They’re fighting for their lives so I don’t want to see any cocky predictions. Need to be professional and get the job done.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Townsend tore his ACL. Think he'll be out this weekend.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:20 pm Townsend tore his ACL. Think he'll be out this weekend.
That's tough on him. So yes, I think you may be right on not playing!
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:07 pm I'm pretty sure I saw Lanzini with Argentina.

Hopefully, Bowen is back and able to get 15/20 minutes on Sunday. Then let him loose against Lyon.
Lanzini was on the bench early hours this morning. So hopefully back tomorrow.
Ideally he plays as suspended thurs.

Guess it's Fornals, Antonio, Lanzini then either Benrahma or Vlasic.
Benny was on the bench whilst Vlasic played last night.
Seems a good idea to play Benrahma Sunday and save Vlasic for Thurs (as no Lanzini and he did play last night).

Hopefully get 15/20 out of Bowen Sunday and see how he is.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

They’re a team struggling for points, with a manager who’ll have them geed up to play us. We know how it goes :lol:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1855 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

This is Lampard's first go as a manager in front of a West Ham crowd isn't it?

Sure he'll get a lovely welcome.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:16 pm I know I'm in the minority on this but I look at the Everton team sheet and don't get why they are struggling so much?!!?

Must admit, im the polar opposite. I look at the squad on paper & Calvert Lewin aside, its absolutely shocking.

Shame Townsend is injured because hes useless.
xmas01245
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by xmas01245 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:44 pm Must admit, im the polar opposite. I look at the squad on paper & Calvert Lewin aside, its absolutely shocking.

Same with me, but lots of people seem to think they've got a great squad. Not sure there's too many I'd take out of their starting 11 which is something I would have never said a few years back.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 414 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I agree. That team is better than the bottom 3 teams easily, but as another poster mentioned they've all been bought by a succession of different managers so they are perhaps a bit of a mismatch. Throw in Lumpard and it's the perfect relegation mix!
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1484 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

I'd go with:

Fab
Johnson
Dawson
Zouma
Cresswell
Rice
Soucek
Lanzini
Berahma
Fornals
Antonio

Hopefully Coufal and Bowen are fit for the bench and they both get 15/20 minutes as if so then they're starting for me against Lyon.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

I think this is a job too far for Lampard and he could come to regret taking it. I don't feel he has either the tactical nous or man management skills that Gerrard has. I certainly think Moyes will out think him and we have a better team on paper.

The international break is always a concern because momentum good or bad going into it stalls and there is often a reset. But if all our lads turn up for it and put a shift in, I think we will have too much for them especially if Bowen is on the pitch
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Allan is suspended.
Richarlison, Doucoure, Gordon, Patterson have all be on international duty too so they haven't had loads of team prep and they are some of their better players.

If we perform and don't give away anything silly should be getting a good win here.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 839 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:44 pm
He's patchy, or maybe inconsistent, but on his day, 25 yards out, he's far from useless.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If I am not mistaken we haven’t done a League double over this mob since the 70s! :shock:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

The Grand Olde Team are a grand old pile of *****, whereas we are ****ing massive.

We'll pump them 4-0 without even breaking a sweat, setting us up nicely for Thursday.

:crest:
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Their defence is woeful, so we need to get at them.

Areola
Johnson, Dawson, Zouma, Cresswell
Rice, Souceck, Lanzini
Fornals, Antonio, Benrahma

Dawson, Zouma, Cresswell, Fornals and Antonio have all had a rest so should be up for this one.
Ive picked Areola because i feel he needs game time before Thursday.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I just bumped into my Everton supporting neighbour. He isn't at all confident about either Sunday or their hopes of survival.