West Ham Utd 2-1 Everton (3/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Everton: match thread

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:42 am I love how people's opinions wildly differ of certain players and performances. These two (abridged) posts were literally right after one another.

I see most people can't decide whether Fredericks was brilliant, awful or okay, either.
Compared to the imposter that wore Fredericks' shirt against Leeds he was world class.

There was one moment where he tried to bring it down and gave it straight to Richarlison to put him in on goal but he was OK defensively apart from that.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:42 am I see most people can't decide whether Fredericks was brilliant, awful or okay, either.
stevey, there were plenty on this very match thread gunning for Fredericks from kick off - pointing out the error/s without giving credit whenever it was due. Those folk had decided he wasn't fit to play before a ball had been kicked.

I did the same when Benrahma made a mistake (one of many, as it transpired) as a wee KUMB experiment later in the half to see if the reaction would be any different. It was.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Fredericks had a good game against an excellent player in Richarlison. His only fault was stretching for that long punt from Pickford that he expertly controlled.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I saw Richarlison trending on Twitter (yeah yeah I know, don't read this if you don't want) so had a look. Apart from a few tweets saying Cresswell has lived every Liverpool supporters dream of scoring against Everton and booting Richarlison in the ribs, quite a few mentioned the reaction, or more exactly the lack of reaction, from the rest of the team after the incident. If one of their's had done it to Fornals for instance, he'd have been surrounded by several angry Irons getting in a few digs. Not one Everton player took issue with Cresswell. There's something not right there.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:42 am I see most people can't decide whether Fredericks was brilliant, awful or okay, either.
That's almost the perfect summary of Fredericks .... he is brilliant awful and okay in more or less equal measure. He's the footballing equivalent of Schrodinger's cat ....
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Don’t tell Kurt!
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3195 likes
Total likes: 2330 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

He was all of those within about 30 seconds at times!

Thought he had a good game overall, but his pace and some precise tackling got him out of self-inflicted trouble more than once. Was like watching a young Rio... :lol:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Richarlison is such a cock. No matter how good he can be when he wants to, I’d hate to have him here.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

He was all three, IMO. He relies on his pace to get him out of trouble or where the trouble is going to be. His distribution is awful sometimes. Simple 5 yard passes going astray. Don't know if it is nerves, worried about playing a pass or whatever. However, his pace and getting forward is something else sometimes, again the final ball lets him down at times.

Benny was ok but he is scared to put his foot in and gets muscled out of tackles far too easy.

Cress knew exactly what he was doing at the end, and was probably far too much frustration on the way Richarlison dives, moans and fakes stuff. As someone said earlier, his rolling around (for what like seemed 5 mins) probably helped the ref to decide it was a yellow rather than red.

Again credit to moyes, his back room staff and the players. We have a resilience about us now where as back in the day we would have lost that.

Now roll on Thursday.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Post by stu1 »

sendô wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:29 pm Fredericks had a good game against an excellent player in Richarlison. His only fault was stretching for that long punt from Pickford that he expertly controlled.
That was a pretty big mistake though in all honesty, Richarlison should have scored.

I think the variation in the opinions on Fredricks performance depend if you give him credit for his recovery tackles or if you focus on the lapse in concentration that meant a recovery tackle was required.

A perfect example is when he cleared the ball after Richarlison had rounded Fab. If you look at Fredricks body position when the ball through was played it is completely wrong, laughably wrong tbh. His recovery pace was good, but I’m on the fence that overall it wasn’t good defending by him.

I don’t hate Fredricks but I thought he was poor at the weekend. For me Richarlison let him off the hook twice, both times Fredrick was caught out far too easily. If Richarlison was in better form he easily could have scored twice from two Fredrick mistakes.

He’s firmly 3rd choice right back for me.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

No disrespect to Everton fans, but judging from the OV, it seems as if many of them really aren't that concerned they could go down...as if its almost unthinkable. Wednesday night for them is huge.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

stu1 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:07 pm That was a pretty big mistake though in all honesty, Richarlison should have scored.

I think the variation in the opinions on Fredricks performance depend if you give him credit for his recovery tackles or if you focus on the lapse in concentration that meant a recovery tackle was required.

A perfect example is when he cleared the ball after Richarlison had rounded Fab. If you look at Fredricks body position when the ball through was played it is completely wrong, laughably wrong tbh. His recovery pace was good, but I’m on the fence that overall it wasn’t good defending by him.

I don’t hate Fredricks but I thought he was poor at the weekend. For me Richarlison let him off the hook twice, both times Fredrick was caught out far too easily. If Richarlison was in better form he easily could have scored twice from two Fredrick mistakes.

He’s firmly 3rd choice right back for me.
Fredericks performance needs to be judged in the relevant context i.e. has has hardly played
It is very difficult to come into the side with very little playing time and be up to speed immediately, especially a defender for whom playing as a unit is crucial

Is it the same with Masuaku, Diop and any other player who comes in from the cold. Mistakes will happen, particularly those based on concentration
Rust
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by Rust »

Don’t know if this was because Everton are so defensively poor, but our link up play up front seemed better yesterday.

In recent months we’ve lacked composure and that cutting edge in the final third. Looks like we’ve been working on it in training as the passing and movement looked more purposeful whenever we broke.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

I thought Frederick's was excellent. Not sure why people have to have a West Ham player to hate on.

No poor performances but mostly 'reasonable'. That includes Declan, who misplaced a couple of passes too.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

This made me chuckle from the OV:

"Miscontrol like that from Iwobi today is just absolutely laughable. Top flight players can't be doing that. Any chance Keane can be sacked for gross misconduct after that? I once tripped up in the office and landed with my head between the work experience girl's legs - and I was sacked. Admittedly it was the fifth time that week, but I'm pretty sure Keane has made more mistakes."
- heatmeiser
SiO
Has liked: 560 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by SiO »

Without looking back on the thread, did anyone manage a Sonny and Schar pun? The latter closed down the former several times I noted.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 781 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Christ if that was their best away performance, they really must have had a miserable season.

Not to completely dismiss their performance, which wasn't all bad, but it felt like we turned up, did the bare minimum and got the win while saving ourselves for Thursday.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

stu1 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:07 pm That was a pretty big mistake though in all honesty, Richarlison should have scored.

He should have, but then it could be argued that if Fredericks hadn't got back to cover the CB position when Zouma was caught out of position, then they could have scored from the break they was on, but instead Fredericks stepped in and cut out the danger.

That was a brilliant piece of defensive covering from him.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

arlhe wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:41 pm I thought Frederick's was excellent. Not sure why people have to have a West Ham player to hate on.

No poor performances but mostly 'reasonable'. That includes Declan, who misplaced a couple of passes too.
I definitely don't hate him- good honest pro. But I think he's championship level. He gets by on speed- see the recovery on Richarlison- I'm sure he's our fastest player, he's absolutely rapid. But apart from that, his technique and defending are bang average.

Yeah, Rice not at his best, not sure if that's international fatigue or just one of those days. Centre backs were good and I thought Antonio played well, some inconsistency (I was fuming at him for shooting after that one on one, with his experience he should have known he couldn't score from that angle and cut back inside), but some great hold up play, he retained possession for us to build attacks in some really difficult situations, some great linking up and, as always, direct running. Nice to see how envious Everton fans are of him in the opponent's view, even though they have two quality strikers.
bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by bowltorious »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:35 am People moaning about cresswells first touch in here the other day. I hope you saw him bring that ball down with what was probably his first touch. Under appreciated player in my opinion.
who said that? cresswell has the best first touch to control a ball in the squad. some people are clueless :crylol: