UELQF: West Ham Utd 1-1 Olympique Lyonnais (7/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Olympique Lyonnais: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

What I don't get is why even a bent German ref would want a French team to win , since Germany has always bullied France. I know that, because it was a French woman who told me so.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:02 pm However, I think we would all agree, that it shouldn't be part of the game and it doesn't have to be. The governing bodies have the the opportunity, if they wish to, to drive this out of the sport. Retrospective action for obvious feigning of injury, diving and so called professional fouls could be reviewed and penalised. It would soon stop these practices if they knew they would be forensically reviewed for CHEATING, because that is what it is. If we continue to accept it, we have no reason to complain when it happens.
100%
The refs need to be stronger. But you can also understand the idea that a player having a broken ankle and the ref not stopping play. Stopping the game is an easy out.

Maybe if they stop play having not given a foul for an injured player (and the team isn't in possession) they give a free kick to the "attacking team". If its too deep/in the area its half way between the penalty area and the half way line.

The problem is very early on a foul will not be given, the player will go down and a goal will be scored.

It's so difficult to prove and I think culture needs to change. And that's why I asked the original question. We don't like it. Others find a way to defend it.

1) If a player goes down holding their head/face and its PROVED not contact there, 1 game ban
2) PROVED going down with no contact in the area: 1 game ban

Cornet got pelters weds for going down. I do believe you are moving at pace, off balance, it doesn't take much to knock you over.

Dembele last night, there was a slight delay before he went down. Contact didn't knock him over, he choose to go down. How do you prove?
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:47 pm What I don't get is why even a bent German ref would want a French team to win , since Germany has always bullied France. I know that, because it was a French woman who told me so.
Because the French have always been a soft touch for Germany but England always more of a problem.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3173 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Unfortunately, the ref was just crap. He allowed the Lyon players to get into this decision making, and that's criminal as a top referee.

The Bowen yellow pissed me off no end. The ball had gone off before there was even blooming contact so it's not a freekick.

I don't know if I think the second one on Bowen - which was before they scored - was a foul. For me, Bowen was naive and didn't protect the ball well.

But the one for the red was a clear foul. I don't think he had to send Cresswell off, and I would always think a rather should only show a red if they feel there's no other choice, but Cresswell gave him the opportunity.

I think with Lanzini we win that game. Fornals went into that role midway through the second half and that's when we started to play. But Pablo isn't as cute as Manu in his movement and passing, he's more direct. Had it been Lanzini central and Fornals wide, I think we play better and win the game.

We definitely can go over there and win. I don't think Lyon are as bad as people think and thought - just having experience in Europe is a huge deal - and they have played within themselves in the league.
WCpete
Has liked: 1488 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:47 pm What I don't get is why even a bent German ref would want a French team to win , since Germany has always bullied France. I know that, because it was a French woman who told me so.
A Euro is a Euro?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Oldun wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:06 pm Because the French have always been a soft touch for Germany but England always more of a problem.
Hmm, but the Engels, from which England derives its name, mostly came from Lower Saxony, a district in modern say, Germany. Hence, that is why they were known as Saxons. The very name of our country, means Land of the Engels and even our language is Germanic its strain, so don't know why he did not want Ze English to win. A case could even be made for Herr Zlayer to be one of our own
pmdd
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by pmdd »

El brooko79 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:52 pm 100%
The refs need to be stronger. But you can also understand the idea that a player having a broken ankle and the ref not stopping play. Stopping the game is an easy out.

Maybe if they stop play having not given a foul for an injured player (and the team isn't in possession) they give a free kick to the "attacking team". If its too deep/in the area its half way between the penalty area and the half way line.

The problem is very early on a foul will not be given, the player will go down and a goal will be scored.

It's so difficult to prove and I think culture needs to change. And that's why I asked the original question. We don't like it. Others find a way to defend it.

1) If a player goes down holding their head/face and its PROVED not contact there, 1 game ban
2) PROVED going down with no contact in the area: 1 game ban

Cornet got pelters weds for going down. I do believe you are moving at pace, off balance, it doesn't take much to knock you over.

Dembele last night, there was a slight delay before he went down. Contact didn't knock him over, he choose to go down. How do you prove?
You are like all fans, you cry because of arbitration when you lose. That’s normal. But the reality is that we must avoid the mistakes that you have made and that have favoured Lyon. Game intelligence is dealing with arbitration. When you come back, it will be different, you will throw yourself in our camp and we like that.
Monkey Magic
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Monkey Magic »

Any word on if we’re appealing the red card?
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

Oldun wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:24 pm To be honest the French have never really been up for a battle have they ?
Yes, we saw it in rugby...and football in World Cup...
Phil S
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

pmdd wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:54 pm You are like all fans, you cry because of arbitration when you lose. That’s normal. But the reality is that we must avoid the mistakes that you have made and that have favoured Lyon. Game intelligence is dealing with arbitration. When you come back, it will be different, you will throw yourself in our camp and we like that.
Game intelligence...

****ing cheating, going down at a touch and for some reason the ref buys it and stops the game despite the fact the game should only stop for head or serious injury. All your players got up sharpish after looking like they'd died.

Like Sevilla who did the same theatrics as Lyon, once you went a goal down you started to play.

Oh and we didn't lose...and we didn't cry
we're proud
waynepin
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by waynepin »

the next game is going to be brilliant, I am sure if one of theirs got a red instead of us we would have got two or three, they worked hard in stopping us getting corners and did not like antonios pace , maybe push bowen up top with him next game two pacy forwards will give them double the problems, 532 or 442 , as bad as it was to watch them cheat and dive it will do us good, a learning curve of what to expect if we want european football on a regular basis, teams like liverpool and man city constantly use dark arts to their advantage without seeming to get bookings, kicking the ball away, blocking breaks with body checks, teams that have lots of european experience seem better at it than the rest,
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

Phil S wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:05 pm Game intelligence...

****ing cheating, going down at a touch and for some reason the ref buys it and stops the game despite the fact the game should only stop for head or serious injury. All your players got up sharpish after looking like they'd died.

Like Sevilla who did the same theatrics as Lyon, once you went a goal down you started to play.

Oh and we didn't lose...and we didn't cry
we're proud
Your whining will change nothing and Thursday will be another game. Attack from everywhere, we like it, we like to counter-attack...and be physical, if the referee accepts it we will be too. You will know the same fate as Everton and Manchester City, we love English clubs even if this year we are not very good.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

pmdd wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:54 pmGame intelligence is dealing with arbitration.
Like it or not, he has a point.

If you see the ref being a moron, you play that game. This is still something Rice isn't good enough at. Noble would have been on his ears from the first incident, pointing at his captain's armband and nagging him.

No reason to dwell on the game. One all isn't a bad result. Could've been better, being in the lead and all. Still, just one counter or corner, could be enough in France.
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

waynepin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:09 pm the next game is going to be brilliant, I am sure if one of theirs got a red instead of us we would have got two or three, they worked hard in stopping us getting corners and did not like antonios pace , maybe push bowen up top with him next game two pacy forwards will give them double the problems, 532 or 442 , as bad as it was to watch them cheat and dive it will do us good, a learning curve of what to expect if we want european football on a regular basis, teams like liverpool and man city constantly use dark arts to their advantage without seeming to get bookings, kicking the ball away, blocking breaks with body checks, teams that have lots of european experience seem better at it than the rest,
Do not forget that your goal is more related to our nullity and bad luck than to your talent...
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

Personally I respect English clubs and I love your football. I know your strength and at first I thought you were favorites. But after the first game I’m not sure. But we’ve been so bad this year that I won’t say. You just need to play better. Football is not just about physical engagement.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

waynepin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:09 pm as bad as it was to watch them cheat and dive it will do us good, a learning curve of what to expect if we want european football on a regular basis, teams like liverpool and man city constantly use dark arts to their advantage without seeming to get bookings, kicking the ball away, blocking breaks with body checks, teams that have lots of european experience seem better at it than the rest,
In Europe Barcelona have been the ultimate team at breaking up attacks without getting booked.
They and their players have been awarded with Champions League, World & Euro Cup winning medals.
hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

pmdd wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:12 pm Do not forget that your goal is more related to our nullity and bad luck than to your talent...
It shouldn't be a problem beating us in the 2nd leg then, mon petit ami.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1152 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Injured players should go off the pitch for 5 minutes if the game is stopped and the medical team have to come on. Soon stop these pretend injuries. Simples
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

pmdd wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:57 pm Yes, we saw it in rugby...and football in World Cup...
Not to mention Verdun.
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:17 pm Injured players should go off the pitch for 5 minutes if the game is stopped and the medical team have to come on. Soon stop these pretend injuries. Simples
I agree, but if they’re really hurt, the perpetrator has to go out for 15 minutes...