UELQF: West Ham Utd 1-1 Olympique Lyonnais (7/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Olympique Lyonnais: match thread

Post by sicknote »

r99c wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:21 pm I was very impressed with their #17 right wing back, Malo Gusto. Just looking on Wikipedia and he's only 18, blimey, bright future surely.

Plays with a lot of gusto that lad
Misko
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:41 pm Appreciate your thoughts.

I’m looking forward to your Georges Brasserie, pigs trotters and good beer :newthumb:
Brasserie Georges is a sure bet, some kind of trademark for "Lyonnaiserie". I can advice a couple more places if you feel like, depending on what experience you aim at ;-)
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

duncanio wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:52 pm I switched off at half time, I couldn't take anymore of that b*llocks. Ref was .an absolute idiot.
Ok, I understand what you're saying but we've been swindled out of Cresswell for both games and that is a significant miss. Also, maybe we could have come out of the first leg 2-0 up with a different ref.
Now, we are forced to win, away from home, without Cresswell.

It shouldn't be this way.
With the way they play at home and the way we play away, us sitting back, allowing them possession and then hitting them on the break seems quite likely. It's just whether the boys can take their chances as there should hopefully be plenty!
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Coops wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:27 am
There were a lot of the midweek knobheads there last night. It was similar to the early rounds when tickets were easy to come by. Yet I know a few proper West Ham fans who couldn't get tickets for last nights game. Again, this is something the club needs to look at, assuming that they even care.
You will notice in the recent blurb from the club as regards next season's ticket prices that it mentions that the Lyon game sold out to season ticket holders in record time.
Whilst not strictly true the inference Is clear, if you want to get to see the big games you need to buy a season ticket.
It's a marketing ploy/con to sell more season tickets.
Selling six tickets to each season ticket holder was madness in my opinion.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

mushy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:18 pm Selling six tickets to each season ticket holder was madness in my opinion.
I've done a U-turn. It was a ****ing stupid thing to do. Should be one ST = one EL ticket. Then onto members. Then general sales. A match like last night was always going to sell out, regardless.
Faliraki Hammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faliraki Hammer »

r99c wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:21 pm I was very impressed with their #17 right wing back, Malo Gusto. Just looking on Wikipedia and he's only 18, blimey, bright future surely.
I thought that too, he was Lyon’s best player I thought.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

:arry:
E15Iron wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:57 am One of the issues with the e-tickets, if you have a mate down below you can just get a screenshot of his ticket and use it to get past the stewards.
No point, I am in the lower tier and I've never been asked to show my ticket.
There were mobs in there last night without seats.
Long Shot
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Long Shot »

I’m looking forward to your Georges Brasserie, pigs trotters and good beer :newthumb:
I know it's not very Europe on tour football away day with the chaps but if you've got a sweet tooth, like me, sneak off to this ice cream place in the centre of town.

https://www.terre-adelice.eu/salons-gla ... cier-lyon/

You'll never go back to Wall's Vienetta again!
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:23 pm I've done a U-turn. It was a ****ing stupid thing to do. Should be one ST = one EL ticket. Then onto members. Then general sales. A match like last night was always going to sell out, regardless.
I agree that 6 tickets per STH was over generous but thinking that by limiting the number of ticket sales to STH and Members and then going to immediate General Sale will reduce the number of 'problems' people are alluding to is a bit silly. They would be available to the same number of 'undesirables' and ticket touts etc. probably even more so.
ExeC
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by ExeC »

steps wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:38 am but we didn’t exploit this by running the flanks and sending crosses into the box,
I thought almost all our plays that weren't long balls went down our left flank, albeit defended well by that Lyon right back, we did attack that flank a lot.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:47 pm I agree that 6 tickets per STH was over generous but thinking that by limiting the number of ticket sales to STH and Members and then going to immediate General Sale will reduce the number of 'problems' people are alluding to is a bit silly. They would be available to the same number of 'undesirables' and ticket touts etc. probably even more so.
Well, it didn't seem to work last night. 132 was not two pissed up blokes with handbags, it involved dozens. Plus there is the other story posted earlier. It also kicked off in STB lower stand, where there weren't any away fans to antagonise. Plus I have heard tales of wholesale cuntery from various pals who sit elsewhere around the ground.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Told you lot there would be a different type of fan there last night.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Plateful of escargots, surely, too, Doc?

[they are delicious, I can confirm, with a nice dry white]
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:47 pm I agree that 6 tickets per STH was over generous but thinking that by limiting the number of ticket sales to STH and Members and then going to immediate General Sale will reduce the number of 'problems' people are alluding to is a bit silly. They would be available to the same number of 'undesirables' and ticket touts etc. probably even more so.
Yes, allowing one ST to buy six tickets was far too many. It just encourages groups of yobs with no real interest in the game to have a pissed up jolly.

I guess the only thing with general sale is the nob heads would be the ones having to buy direct so at least the club can identify people more easily. I didn't buy any extra tickets but how did the club know who these extra 6 people were? The club can also limit general sale to those with a previous buying history and maybe make it cover those who have purchased a ticket last season as well as this so the nob heads who have only turned up for the EL games this season can be weeded out.

As I said on an earlier post, after ST and claret members next in line should be those who have paid £10 to go on the ST waiting list before general sale. It's in the clubs own interest to start exercising a bit of quality control over who is buying tickets and not just grab any pound note going. It will be more costly in the long run is existing STH decide they can do without the aggro of yobs being allowed to act as they please or start receiving bans/ substantial fines from footballing authorities.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:54 pm Well, it didn't seem to work last night. 132 was not two pissed up blokes with handbags, it involved dozens. Plus there is the other story posted earlier. It also kicked off in STB lower stand, where there weren't any away fans to antagonise. Plus I have heard tales of wholesale cuntery from various pals who sit elsewhere around the ground.
My point was, why would it reduce the number of 'undesirables' by making more available on General Sale? Surely thats just a matter of how you get them rather than who gets them.

As far as 'trouble' goes I think this has much more to do with the piss poor stewarding than ticket allocation. It seems they go for quantity rather than quality. The quality of the stewards is awful. They need more 'security guard' types IMO, for enforcement. Less better paid and experienced over current low paid cloakroom attendants.
pmdd
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by pmdd »

paulhs1 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:15 pm With the way they play at home and the way we play away, us sitting back, allowing them possession and then hitting them on the break seems quite likely. It's just whether the boys can take their chances as there should hopefully be plenty!
As we accuse the referee when you are not happy. But frankly you are even worse than us! Apart from playing block low 20m from your cages and kicking, what can you do? I was disappointed by your team that I thought was better! We’re gonna do Manchester City and Everton again, sorry.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Whitters wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:46 pm Did you see the 'plucky English underdogs' Brentford game? Just as bad if not worse than last night
A team largely made up of foreign players? 2 English players in their match day squad?

England is just the country they operate in and are from. Doesn't mean they play in an English way.

Arsenal against us did the same Lacazette (ironically ex Lyon) is the worst for it.

I'm just saying to us as in English fans, those tactics are scummy and dishonest.

It happens the most in Continental Europe and obviously Latin America is awful for it but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen here.
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

El brooko79 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:26 am This is not a confrontational question.
But what do you think of your players rolling around at the slightest touch.
Pretending to be hurt (with a non head injury) waving their arms to stop play? The ref was very weak allowing this.

Accepted behaviour and just part of the game in France?
We have clubs that do this I'm England (looking at Aston Villa fir example).
And what do you think of your players who type more in the shins than in the ball? It’s not a question of conflict.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

pmdd wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:17 pm As we accuse the referee when you are not happy. But frankly you are even worse than us! Apart from playing block low 20m from your cages and kicking, what can you do? I was disappointed by your team that I thought was better! We’re gonna do Manchester City and Everton again, sorry.
:clown:
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

Kialos wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:46 am Let's do the off field stuff first. I'd take anything uncorroborated on twitter about who the morons support with Siberian quantities of salt. I just hope that detritus is named and natural justice takes place. Fair play to the bloke who tried to smash his face in and fair play to the stewards for not nicking him too. The club made a mistake allowing 6 randoms per ST into the ground. In future ST and claret members one ticket each. Any left then only sell to people who have paid £10 to go on the ST waiting list. I would rather have 50000 West Ham supporters inside the ground not doing what took place last night then having an extra 9000 nob heads in to fill the ground.

The ref was incompetent all game, seen plenty of refs make terrible decisions but this bloke was making them all game and I mean all game not just the sending off. For me it was a yellow for Cresswell, not a red as it was not a clear score scoring opportunity. How can it be when the player fouled is running away from goal and not even in the penalty area? The card was out the refs pocket so quickly I thought it was for the dive. To take a course of action that will have a significant impact on the game it has to take more than a millisecond of thought. He'd already blown the whistle on the foul so had time to actually process what had taken place but chose not to. For me it was a (stupid) foul and yellow card and that's the decision you are going to get from refs week in week out.

I thought the team did well second half, didn't lose their heads and kept trying to do the right thing. Dawson was a colossus in particular. The whole defence played well. The cheats in white couldn't handle Antonio metaphorically, they were handling him virtually every time he went up for the ball. All unseen by the cheat with the whistle. We could really do with a midfielder capable of winning an aerial challenge, to free up Antonio to pick up the second ball. For someone who has scored some great headed goals, Soucek didn't come close to any one last night. It's not Rice's strong point either but at least he more than makes up for it in other areas.

Bowen worked his socks off, thought Fornals had a decent game and think him and Lanzini will work better together next week. Where I sit I had a great view of attacks down our left first half and by half time I was exasperated seeing Benrahma mess up the final ball repeatedly either losing possession or wrong decision. It was not a hard decision for Moyes to make taking him off at half time in order to get another defender on.

Bottom line is, they couldn't beat us being a man down and having a ref in their pocket. With 11 players and a ref who is competent I think we are more than capable of beating them and I hope we do because too much went on last night that left a nasty taste in the mouth. :crest:
The only thing that can leave a bad taste in your mouth is to have played very badly against a very average team!