UELQF: West Ham Utd 1-1 Olympique Lyonnais (7/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Olympique Lyonnais: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Misko wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:03 pm I really don't know what to expect for the second leg.
What kind of reception do you think our travelling fans can expect?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Misko wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:03 pm All true, alas. I think this what I depicted you beforehand, well I hope I managed to do so. I really don't know what to expect for the second leg.
:lol:.

One thing I did think you were good at was your passing and ball retention tbf. Something that is a weakness for us. Obviously 10 men was gonna help that, but even though your build up is slow, you certainly can move the ball about. Lanzini coming back next week will help.

I do rate Toko Ekambi though. I thought when he came on, all your good stuff came through him.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Can't believe it was a Red..

Every single one of you morons who ran on the pitch, you're an absolute embarassment to this club.

That Referree was an embarassment too, how referees can get away with sub par performances unpunished is beyond me.

Lyon the epitome of what we view here at cheating diving europeans.

Absolutely loved Dawson mowing through them at the end.

They soon got back up and run around though. It's scummy but like I said it's what we British view as very Continental European and dishonest.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:04 pm What kind of reception do you think our travelling fans can expect?
Lively, their mob still thinking it’s the mid-eighties.

Re. the referee having previously taken a bung, UEFA, like FIFA, so corrupt it probably rocketed him up their rankings.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Hope everyone has calmed down a bit. I know I have!

Some points

- It was a good atmosphere, not as good as Seville but it was unlikely to be. Add to the fact that we had a man sent off, ref having an absolute shocker and Lyon stopping play at every opportunity, the atmosphere was very good.

- We are better than them, I’m confident that we can get the result away from home.

- A draw is a very good result considering we had 10 men for half the match. We will be feeling much happier and confident than them as a result.

- I’m a fan of the impromptu standing in parts of the ground that usually don’t, it adds to the special occasion.

- Dawson is a god.

- No words for the idiot that ran on during our attack, surely he didn’t think the fans would find that funny?
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

brownout wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:33 pm They were put in the upper tier so well away from West Ham in lower tier. Seemed to behave. Could barely hear them.

Apparently some caused trouble at Stratford station before the game.
I was eating in the Turkish place close to the Black bull and at 6.40 a couple of police vans and officers on foot went running up Stratford broadway but I couldn't see the cause of this.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Jabsco79 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:12 pm Lively, their mob still thinking it’s the mid-eighties.
Got to hope in that event that their stewards have a bit more about them than those at the OS.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Whufc06 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:21 pm Our ball rentention was shocking last night, Lanzini should make a massive difference with that.
To be honest our ball retention hasn't been good for a while. I actually think we were better and keeping the ball last season but I do think many factors have contributed to this, the main one being having a disrupted defence throughout the season.
Coufal is technically better than Johnson and fredricks, oggy better than Dawson and Diop on the floor which means we go long a fair bit now.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

I was very impressed with their #17 right wing back, Malo Gusto. Just looking on Wikipedia and he's only 18, blimey, bright future surely.
Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:04 pm What kind of reception do you think our travelling fans can expect?
Tough one to answer. Globally good and friendly, but the hardcore fans are total d*ckheads.

So in town, I guess it will be all friendly and relaxed. Around the stadium, for those being in the West Ham fans stand, there will be a special system (I don't know exactly how it goes) so that you never have any possibility to meet those sickos. For the ones being elswhere in the stadium, as long as you stay away from the north and south bends (Virage Nord and Virage Sud), it's no problem. I'd advise not to parade too stronlgy, but I guess this is pure common sense.

I don't know, I travelled a lot in Europe, always away from Lyon fans (I hate the feeling of being parked as animals) and never had any issue, even in places tagged as dangerous (Eastern Europe mostly).
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

last.caress wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:20 pm Gents

Please feel free to **** off the bent ref and the twatspasms who ran on the pitch for all you're worth. God knows they deserve that.

But the repeated advocacy of violent assault, arson etc toward them is not on, here on these boards. So let's stop going there, eh?

Cheers.

:kumbnew:
It was supposed to be lighthearted soz :oops:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

r99c wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:21 pm I was very impressed with their #17 right wing back, Malo Gusto. Just looking on Wikipedia and he's only 18, blimey, bright future surely.
Best player on the pitch with ease.
Billy Hunt
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:13 pm Hope everyone has calmed down a bit. I know I have!

Some points

- It was a good atmosphere, not as good as Seville but it was unlikely to be. Add to the fact that we had a man sent off, ref having an absolute shocker and Lyon stopping play at every opportunity, the atmosphere was very good.

- We are better than them, I’m confident that we can get the result away from home.

- A draw is a very good result considering we had 10 men for half the match. We will be feeling much happier and confident than them as a result.

- I’m a fan of the impromptu standing in parts of the ground that usually don’t, it adds to the special occasion.

- Dawson is a god.

- No words for the idiot that ran on during our attack, surely he didn’t think the fans would find that funny?
Agree, I'm in 140 and since the day it opened up I've stood for two games only - Sevilla and this one, it was great.

What was odd, similar to Sevilla game, there were quite a few new faces around us where Season ticket holders hadn't bought their seats
Misko

Post by Misko »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:06 pm :lol:.

One thing I did think you were good at was your passing and ball retention tbf. Something that is a weakness for us. Obviously 10 men was gonna help that, but even though your build up is slow, you certainly can move the ball about. Lanzini coming back next week will help.

I do rate Toko Ekambi though. I thought when he came on, all your good stuff came through him.
Toko-Ekambi is mostly a no nonsense player. He is the only one able to go wide with some pace, he is strong in the duels and even if he hase no academic play, he always manage to create situations. He's the only one able to break the monotony of that dull passing game. He is a delight for passers like N'Dombélé and Paqueta to connet to. But, he struggles to be a consistent scorer, he has not contributed much lately (scored the winner to send Cameroon to WC at the last second of the game againt Algeria, though).
Misko

Post by Misko »

r99c wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:21 pm I was very impressed with their #17 right wing back, Malo Gusto. Just looking on Wikipedia and he's only 18, blimey, bright future surely.
He is very young, came to the game late on top of that. He started as an attacker/winger. He excels in the wingback position, he lacks of basic defensive positioning science for the moment. But he has great physical skills, and he is able to compensate his errors (see what he does on that divine touch of Benrahma in first half - and if I wanted to be mean, I'll strongly advise to show it to Cresswell :winker: (please, take it very lightly, I don't mean any bad here)).

But he gives folloishly away the ball on the Bowen goal. That's the limit when you play such young players (CB Lukeba is 19 as well)?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Misko wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:24 pm Tough one to answer.
Appreciate your thoughts.

I’m looking forward to your Georges Brasserie, pigs trotters and good beer :newthumb:
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Mullhull wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:07 pm
Lyon the epitome of what we view here at cheating diving europeans.

They soon got back up and run around though. It's scummy but like I said it's what we British view as very Continental European and dishonest.
Did you see the 'plucky English underdogs' Brentford game? Just as bad if not worse than last night
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:59 pm The game on mentality is clear. They weren’t very good. Neither were we, but they looked very one paced, vulnerable defensively and little end product. We put in an average performance, had 10 men and still drew the game. With Lanzini back and knowledge of how Lyon play/act, we should be confident.

None of their players worry me apart from one. Toko Ekambi, who I thought made a difference for them.

We hopefully get a top referee for the 2nd leg.
I switched off at half time, I couldn't take anymore of that b*llocks. Ref was .an absolute idiot.
Ok, I understand what you're saying but we've been swindled out of Cresswell for both games and that is a significant miss. Also, maybe we could have come out of the first leg 2-0 up with a different ref.
Now, we are forced to win, away from home, without Cresswell.

It shouldn't be this way.
Deepster
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Deepster »

What's with sticking the away supporters in the upper stand, for the EL ?
Would add to the atmosphere, if we could actually hear them.

I think it is poor form,unless there is some legal requirement to do so.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Mullhull wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:07 pm
Every single one of you morons who ran on the pitch, you're an absolute embarassment to this club.
I dont think they were West Ham fans tbh. The second one certainly looked like he was going for the goalposts, and probably was trying to do so whilst play was at the other end of the pitch and didnt expect our rapid counter attack.